The 2002 lineup looked/felt the most like a band

Vincent Vega

I think it's the opposite. 2002 had the most technically skilled musicians but did not look like a band. More like a bunch of pros Axl got to play with him. 2006 and this line-up DID feel like a band. 2006 felt like they were in perfect harmony, like they were the tightest band. This line-up seems like they love doing what they do and get a long better than any other line-up. They have fun now.

I agree with this post.

Me too

The 2002 band just seemed to be a bunch of random guys playing together who had no relation to eachother

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I agree with you Miser.

Axl's chance to make something of the project we THINK he orginally went out to achieve (making new music etc).

Anything else was just come across as a glorified coverband. They need to come out and prove us wrong!

The image and sound of the 2002 band was spiritually similar to Old GNR in that it said "Fuck you!" to everyone.

Very true man. Old GNR had credibility. They weren't fuckin around and they weren't here to please you. The band was mysterious. You wondered what kind of life must they have led in order to find that music.

2002 had some of that too. Bucket especially had a powerful pull.

This 2012 group is boring. Add to that DJ's posing and they lose a lot of credibility. Add to that you have Ron looking like the guitar tech playing lead guitar. Add to that Frank the faceless drummer. Add to that....

i Agree with thread title. The 2002 players had much Much more to deliver. and couldve been a huge commercial success if albums were delivered then. They wouldve fkin made dolls out bucket and axl, it wouldve been big. Bigger than oprah. Bigger than water gate.

Edited by Frozen Inferno

2001/02 GN'R certainly had more distinct personalities and arguably more chops (certainly individually anyway). That said- 01/02 GN'R seemed to have far less cohesion and chemistry than the current line-up and IMHO felt more like "Axl N' His Outter Space Freak Friends From the Studio" as opposed to "GN'R". The current line-up is much more derivative of Old Guns- and whether he's "posing" or not, etc.- Dj seems to give off much more of the RN'R "Slash"-vibe that the more casual rock fan wants to see from GN'R IMHO (Richard ca. 2006-present as well for that matter. Richard was part of the '02 line-up- but seems to me he was much more of a "Gilby Clarke"-type back then buried deep behind Buckethead and Robin).

Also- the fact that the current line-up seems to get-along reasonably well and has been pretty "battle-hardened" on the road for the last 3 years would indicate to me that they'd actually have a shot at truly "following-up" an album release with proper promotion, tour, videos, etc. The 01/02 band- with its varrying clashing personalities and rivalries, etc. just simply wasn't constructed to withstand those type of pressures/demands IMHO. It was an interesting era with some unique players (Robin's my favorite Guns guitarist ever), etc.- but I always find it hard to buy into the idea that Axl (especially as unstable as he seemed at the time- which people tend to forget) could have captained that strange ship for any real extended period of time...

All that said- at least we did get Chinese Democracy (finally) and RIR III out of them... B)

The 2002 lineup probably had the most potential out of all the new lineups as far as what they could have accomplished. But as far as "looked and felt" like a band, I respectfully disagree. It "looked" sort of ridiculous and "felt" like Axl and a bunch of players he had plucked from other bands.

That said, I miss Buckethead.

Also- the fact that the current line-up seems to get-along reasonably well and has been pretty "battle-hardened" on the road for the last 3 years would indicate to me that they'd actually have a shot at truly "following-up" an album release with proper promotion, tour, videos, etc. The 01/02 band- with its varrying clashing personalities and rivalries, etc. just simply wasn't constructed to withstand those type of pressures/demands IMHO. It was an interesting era with some unique players (Robin's my favorite Guns guitarist ever), etc.- but I always find it hard to buy into the idea that Axl (especially as unstable as he seemed at the time- which people tend to forget) could have captained that strange ship for any real extended period of time...

I LOVED the 2001/2002 lineup, but this is about as accurate as you can get. Just listening to Axl's rants and between song banter during that time, it was obvious that he saw the Guns N' Roses shows at that time as more of an obligation to prove he could perform than as a real opportunity to have fun like he seems to be having now.

I LOVED the 2001/2002 lineup, but this is about as accurate as you can get. Just listening to Axl's rants and between song banter during that time, it was obvious that he saw the Guns N' Roses shows at that time as more of an obligation to prove he could perform than as a real opportunity to have fun like he seems to be having now.

Thanks man. Yup exactly. IMHO 2001/02 Axl seemed very defensive, doing things against-his-will and perhaps even still heartbroken (Stephanie)...

Meanwhile 2009-12 Axl for the most part seems to be really enjoying life, his band and interacting with the fans. Just such a happier and more professional guy all-around IMHO (though he still comes on whenever the hell he wants obviously).

I think 02 lineup was an attempt to go with that industrial "vision." The lineup today just looks like a desperate attempt to come back to what popular GNR was. Problem is, IMO, Axl waited too long and the world passed him by. Can GNR do well and have decent tours? Sure but they will NEVER be what they once were. They had a few more years to reign but blew it. Then he tried to return with a circus cast and turned the general public off. Waited a few years and came back with a more "rocker" looking Finck and it was bland. Now he's grasping at straws.