Question about the 'GNR' name

tk1

Hey Marc,

As many have said, thanks for sharing your unique insight on GN'R. One question I had that, to my knowledge, hasn't been addressed is regarding the ownership of the GN'R name. I completely understand that Axl owns the rights and it is his legal right to do what he wants with the Guns name. I can also understand the frustrations of Duff and Slash, if they were somewhat pressured to sign over the name by management, as they have implied, and being reduced to hired employees. I'm really not taking sides; at this point, it simply is what it is and by now, that is clearly understood.

It is my understanding Axl came up with the name and simply wanted rights to use the name if the original band were to split up or, even worse, have a member die as there was concern over the drug use by Slash and Duff. However, nobody died and even though they were exhausted and on each other's nerves following the Illusion tour, there wasn't any indication of anybody wanting to quit. They certainly needed a break before deciding how to move forward, but GN'R was still in tact. I always wondered why Axl chose to leave the original partnership and then start his own band called Guns N' Roses where Duff and Slash would have been essentially hired musicians? If nobody had died or was thinking of leaving, why did Axl force that issue at such an early point? I can understand him doing so if the band mutually decided to split or if somebody had tragically died. But, that wasn't the case. They all had intentions on continuing on in the band and producing more GN'R material after a break from the UYI albums / tour.

Perhaps this has been answered and I simply am unaware! Thanks!

It doesn't sound like it was a big dent in Slash and Duff's wallet when they signed the rights over. It doesn't sound like it cut into what they got in ticket sales and at the swag booth. I always took it as not having any "Yokos" interfering with band business, and what became VR being able to use the GNR name to tour under, or block Axl from using the GNR name. I also don't think it was mentioned in their books who actually brought it to Slash and Duff, if it wasn't Doug Goldstein, who would it have been?

Hey Marc,

As many have said, thanks for sharing your unique insight on GN'R. One question I had that, to my knowledge, hasn't been addressed is regarding the ownership of the GN'R name. I completely understand that Axl owns the rights and it is his legal right to do what he wants with the Guns name. I can also understand the frustrations of Duff and Slash, if they were somewhat pressured to sign over the name by management, as they have implied, and being reduced to hired employees. I'm really not taking sides; at this point, it simply is what it is and by now, that is clearly understood.

It is my understanding Axl came up with the name and simply wanted rights to use the name if the original band were to split up or, even worse, have a member die as there was concern over the drug use by Slash and Duff. However, nobody died and even though they were exhausted and on each other's nerves following the Illusion tour, there wasn't any indication of anybody wanting to quit. They certainly needed a break before deciding how to move forward, but GN'R was still in tact. I always wondered why Axl chose to leave the original partnership and then start his own band called Guns N' Roses where Duff and Slash would have been essentially hired musicians? If nobody had died or was thinking of leaving, why did Axl force that issue at such an early point? I can understand him doing so if the band mutually decided to split or if somebody had tragically died. But, that wasn't the case. They all had intentions on continuing on in the band and producing more GN'R material after a break from the UYI albums / tour.

Perhaps this has been answered and I simply am unaware! Thanks!

At the time when all this was going on, I didn't even know that Slash and Duff signed over the name. No one at that time told me. All I remember was Axl telling me sometime in 1995 that Slash was not aloud to take songs that were whiten for GNR and use them in Snakepit. When Slash quit, I think I still didn't know about who owned the name. I thought he was nuts for quitting. Shash fingered that Axl would not be able to replace him and at some point they would find a way to work together. Years latter is when I think I found out about that Slash and Duff signed over the name. It then made sense to me why Slash quit because he didn't have any say anymore. This may sound a bit strange but I think I found out the details from reading Slash's book. I really don't remember Axl telling me about it and Slash never talked about it to me. I think they both thought that the other one told me the details.