Marc: Axl's disappearance (1994-2000)

A rather personal set of questions but something I think that has been wondered about by fans...

1) Marc, why do you feel Axl disappeared from the public eye pretty much totally from 1994 to 2000? Outside of his arrest in 1998 and his appearance with Gilby in 2000, Axl wasn't seen at any major public events from January 20th 1994 until Rock in Rio in 2001. There are some pictures of Axl with fans which are supposedly from 1996, 1997 etc but he wasn't out and about...Knowing him, why did he decide to say goodbye to the public in those years?

2) During this same time, when Slash, Duff, etc were going to magazines and giving their side of the story, why didn't Axl come out and do an interview or even just issue a press release to counter their claims? Like if Slash claimed in 1996 or 1997 that Axl was a dictator, why didn't Axl give HIS side of the story at THAT time? His silence, and Slash, Duff, Matt and others giving similar stories cemented in the public mind and in the minds of many fans that Axl was the bad guy who drove away Slash and Duff and broke up Guns N' Roses. Since the public didn't have Axl's side of the story to compare the others' stories too, it was very easy to believe anything that was said about him. This image of him as the mean evil guy who ruined GN'R was made in the mid 90s and still hangs around him today. Why didn't he defend himself in 1994-2000, while Slash, Duff, etc were telling the press their stories? Why didn't he refute their claims? Slash left in 1996, Duff in 1997--Why did Axl wait until 2008 to tell a bit of his side?

3) Do you think Axl valued Slash more than Slash valued Axl, in retrospect? Slash describes their relationship when they were together as being like guys who were only close when they were at work, otherwise they were't really close as people. Basically he views their relationship as just sort of a work relationship. But IF Axl was truly shattered about Slash leaving, wouldn't that say he thought of them as more than just co-workers? He didn't seem as nearly as hurt and angry when Izzy, who was his best friend, left the band.....

4) How true would you say are the stories about Axl wanting to take GN'R into a totally industrial, techno sort of direction? In '94, '95, '96, etc i he really want to move GN'R away from rock? He claims he wanted to do a blues rock record to make Slash happy, but Slash and others claimed he wanted to make GN'R sound like Nine Inch Nails. What's the truth?

5) As far as you know, did Old GN'R ever record This I Love? Axl claimed in 1993 to have written and recorded it but did the rest of the old band ever add to it as far as you know?

6) From what you know, why didn't Axl ever give Gilby Clarke a chance to write as a member of GN'R? He's clearly talented in terms of being a writer and rhythm guitarist and he and Slash seem to have gotten along and clicked well.

7) Lastly, why were Slash and Duff so much against Paul Huge? They seem to have even been against the IDEA of him working with the group unofficially even before he played a note. Why didn't they like him, as far as you know? Have you ever met Paul?

Edited by Indigo Miser

A rather personal set of questions but something I think that has been wondered about by fans...

1) Marc, why do you feel Axl disappeared from the public eye pretty much totally from 1994 to 2000? Outside of his arrest in 1998 and his appearance with Gilby in 2000, Axl wasn't seen at any major public events from January 20th 1994 until Rock in Rio in 2001. There are some pictures of Axl with fans which are supposedly from 1996, 1997 etc but he wasn't out and about...Knowing him, why did he decide to say goodbye to the public in those years?

2) During this same time, when Slash, Duff, etc were going to magazines and giving their side of the story, why didn't Axl come out and do an interview or even just issue a press release to counter their claims? Like if Slash claimed in 1996 or 1997 that Axl was a dictator, why didn't Axl give HIS side of the story at THAT time? His silence, and Slash, Duff, Matt and others giving similar stories cemented in the public mind and in the minds of many fans that Axl was the bad guy who drove away Slash and Duff and broke up Guns N' Roses. Since the public didn't have Axl's side of the story to compare the others' stories too, it was very easy to believe anything that was said about him. This image of him as the mean evil guy who ruined GN'R was made in the mid 90s and still hangs around him today. Why didn't he defend himself in 1994-2000, while Slash, Duff, etc were telling the press their stories? Why didn't he refute their claims? Slash left in 1996, Duff in 1997--Why did Axl wait until 2008 to tell a bit of his side?

3) Do you think Axl valued Slash more than Slash valued Axl, in retrospect? Slash describes their relationship when they were together as being like guys who were only close when they were at work, otherwise they were't really close as people. Basically he views their relationship as just sort of a work relationship. But IF Axl was truly shattered about Slash leaving, wouldn't that say he thought of them as more than just co-workers? He didn't seem as nearly as hurt and angry when Izzy, who was his best friend, left the band.....

4) How true would you say are the stories about Axl wanting to take GN'R into a totally industrial, techno sort of direction? In '94, '95, '96, etc i he really want to move GN'R away from rock? He claims he wanted to do a blues rock record to make Slash happy, but Slash and others claimed he wanted to make GN'R sound like Nine Inch Nails. What's the truth?

5) As far as you know, did Old GN'R ever record This I Love? Axl claimed in 1993 to have written and recorded it but did the rest of the old band ever add to it as far as you know?

6) From what you know, why didn't Axl ever give Gilby Clarke a chance to write as a member of GN'R? He's clearly talented in terms of being a writer and rhythm guitarist and he and Slash seem to have gotten along and clicked well.

7) Lastly, why were Slash and Duff so much against Paul Huge? They seem to have even been against the IDEA of him working with the group unofficially even before he played a note. Why didn't they like him, as far as you know? Have you ever met Paul?

1 He was very busy with Lawsuits and putting a new band together and creating new music. HE did go out and do things like see a show or go to dinner.

2 I could only guess that Axl was burned too many times in the press and he didn't want what ever he said to get twisted. Also he could have been advised because of any legal stuff that may have been in the works. I still think he could have said a few things to clear up some of the things that were said about him. For what ever reason Axl holds too much in and thats what slows he down.

3 Axl has a lot of emotions and did value Slash as a friend and Co worker. by 1994 Axl wanted to produce Slash and direct him with what Axl's plans were for GNR and create something big. Slash valued Axl as a co worker more than anything, but felt he had no more say in what music they were going to do and who would be in the band and how it would be recorded and how much they would spend to record it. As far as them staying together, I only gave them 3 months back in 1985 because both of them had strong personalities. Because of the great team that line up had going for them at that time is what kept it all together. Izzy leaving put a big dent in that and it just crumbled.

4 The Blues thing had to do with a song that Slash wrote that Axl felt would put Slash on top of his game if they finished the song together. It was one of the 3 songs that Axl liked that Slash was offering out of the 12 songs. I think Axl wanted something different than he already did. AFD was one thing Lies was different and then UYI was different so Axl was now looking to move on to the next level and wanted to do something that he thought would be very big. I'm not sure if Axl knew for sure what he wanted but, he knew what he didn't want.

5 I don't know

6 he did, Slash and Gilby were working together and Axl didn't think the music was anything special and I think he thought it was a bit antiquated. Axl was ready for a change and Gilbey was not what Axl was looking for. Live he had no problem but in the studio he was looking for something different

7 I don't know about Duff but Slash didn't think he was cool and didn't want to work with him. He was a nice guy but didn't really look the part of the image to what Slash had in mind. Plus Slash called him a bedroom guitar player.