happy 25th anniversary afd

Guest Broskirose

For the 25th of AFD they should have put together a DVD / Blu-ray containing material from the many hours of footage Slash claims they have locked in a vault, with you know who as the key holder.

Dream on... The least you year about "cancer" the better... :confused:

+1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the 25th of AFD they should have put together a DVD / Blu-ray containing material from the many hours of footage Slash claims they have locked in a vault, with you know who as the key holder.

That was abit uncalled for, h---wit ..guess your not a true fan of Guns N'Roses :devilshades:

+1

+1

Let me know in 21 years time about the 25th anniversary celebrations for Chinese Democracy.

#burn

My AFD story. (if anyone is bored)

I grew up in a house where music was played often and loud. No one in my family could play an instrument but they all loved music. From a very early age I would be putting around the house, He-Man and Hulk Hogan action figures in tow, with the back ground music being played by the likes of the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Frampton and many more.

My father had a bit more eclectic taste for music than my mother. Hot Tuna, Roxy Music and most of all Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. So from a very early age music was a very important part of the day.

I was a severe asthmatic as a child and missed many days of school. One particular day in late fall of 1987 I was in the bus line waiting to go home and most likely play Super Mario Brothers. My friend behind me was talking about his older brother who worked at a record store. He kept talking about this song that started out slow and got really heavy. He continued to hum along while smacking his thigh..pop....pop...pop pop...pop....pop...pop pop. I turned around and asked him what was the name of this song or band. He just replied "I don't know, but there is a bunch of skulls and a cross on the cover."

As fate would have it the next day I was home sick. My father came into my room after he got out of work and said I have to go to the mall with your sister so she can get a tee ball glove....you need anything? Well I had been dealing with this pop....pop...pop pop...pop....pop...pop pop sound in my head for over 24 hours now and was excited to hear the song for real. "Yeah Dad, can you get me a tape?" Sure he said, which one? "Ahh, I don't know...it's got skulls on it and a cross". I could tell by the look on his face that the look on my face that he knew this was something that I needed.

About one hour later my father returned with a plastic bag that he tossed on my bed. "Here you go kidd-o. And by the way, the name of the band is Guns N' Roses." Now knowing the name of the band I couldn't contain myself. I tore into that bag like it was Christmas morning, only to be with the same disappointment which everyone had when getting a new cassette tape back in the day....that fucking plastic security thingy which was impossible to get off. However, that day, I was not to be denied. I ripped that fucker off like I did the panties of my prom date seven years later.

I quickly went over to the corner of my room and placed the cassette into the one speaker boom box which I kept on a side table as if it were a trophy. That sound....the opening riff to WTTJ took my breath away, literally (remember I was asthmatic). I listened to the whole album twice before mandatory lights out. Rocket Queen made the most lasting impression, and it still does. 25 years later I am in my mid thirties and this album has been my favorite and most consistently played since the day I got it. Albeit that I have owned three cassette copies and two CD's. I listened to the cassettes so often that they tape actually snapped. The days that happened my parents were kind enough to make "emergency trips" to the mall for me to retrieve another copy.

This is the perfect album. The edge has never gone away. I have never had to skip a song. The sound has never been replicated, by anyone even GNR. It also keeps surprising me. Recently about a year ago. I decided to purchase a Bose Wave radio to replace my Bose iPod docking station. I put a copy of AFD in the CD player and again I got chills and it took my breath away. The production on the album is incredible and now that I had a system which was capable of properly exploit the quality of the recording, it was like a new album. I can't foresee every not having this masterpiece on regular rotation in my house or car! AFD has prepared my for basketball games bitty ball through college, AFD was with me on graduation day in high school and college, and it was with me on my wedding day. My wife looked at me as we were planing our wedding, "which Guns N Roses song do you want to come out to?" she said. That right there is true love my friends!

Happy Birthday Appetite For Destruction!!

Edited by jnamc

My AFD story. (if anyone is bored)

I grew up in a house where music was played often and loud. No one in my family could play an instrument but they all loved music. From a very early age I would be putting around the house, He-Man and Hulk Hogan action figures in tow, with the back ground music being played by the likes of the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Frampton and many more.

My father had a bit more eclectic taste for music than my mother. Hot Tuna, Roxy Music and most of all Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. So from a very early age music was a very important part of the day.

I was a severe asthmatic as a child and missed many days of school. One particular day in late fall of 1987 I was in the bus line waiting to go home and most likely play Super Mario Brothers. My friend behind me was talking about his older brother who worked at a record store. He kept talking about this song that started out slow and got really heavy. He continued to hum along while smacking his thigh..pop....pop...pop pop...pop....pop...pop pop. I turned around and asked him what was the name of this song or band. He just replied "I don't know, but there is a bunch of skulls and a cross on the cover."

As fate would have it the next day I was home sick. My father came into my room after he got out of work and said I have to go to the mall with your sister so she can get a tee ball glove....you need anything? Well I had been dealing with this pop....pop...pop pop...pop....pop...pop pop sound in my head for over 24 hours now and was excited to hear the song for real. "Yeah Dad, can you get me a tape?" Sure he said, which one? "Ahh, I don't know...it's got skulls on it and a cross". I could tell by the look on his face that the look on my face that he knew this was something that I needed.

About one hour later my father returned with a plastic bag that he tossed on my bed. "Here you go kidd-o. And by the way, the name of the band is Guns N' Roses." Now knowing the name of the band I couldn't contain myself. I tore into that bag like it was Christmas morning, only to be with the same disappointment which everyone had when getting a new cassette tape back in the day....that fucking plastic security thingy which was impossible to get off. However, that day, I was not to be denied. I ripped that fucker off like I did the panties of my prom date seven years later.

I quickly went over to the corner of my room and placed the cassette into the one speaker boom box which I kept on a side table as if it were a trophy. That sound....the opening riff to WTTJ took my breath away, literally (remember I was asthmatic). I listened to the whole album twice before mandatory lights out. Rocket Queen made the most lasting impression, and it still does. 25 years later I am in my mid thirties and this album has been my favorite and most consistently played since the day I got it. Albeit that I have owned three cassette copies and two CD's. I listened to the cassettes so often that they tape actually snapped. The days that happened my parents were kind enough to make "emergency trips" to the mall for me to retrieve another copy.

This is the perfect album. The edge has never gone away. I have never had to skip a song. The sound has never been replicated, by anyone even GNR. It also keeps surprising me. Recently about a year ago. I decided to purchase a Bose Wave radio to replace my Bose iPod docking station. I put a copy of AFD in the CD player and again I got chills and it took my breath away. The production on the album is incredible and now that I had a system which was capable of properly exploit the quality of the recording, it was like a new album. I can't foresee every not having this masterpiece on regular rotation in my house or car! AFD has prepared my for basketball games bitty ball through college, AFD was with me on graduation day in high school and college, and it was with me on my wedding day. My wife looked at me as we were planing our wedding, "which Guns N Roses song do you want to come out to?" she said. That right there is true love my friends!

Happy Birthday Appetite For Destruction!!

[/quote

Great post thanks for sharing.