Drinking Habits, Preferred Pubs/Bars and Stories of Drunken Idiocy!

Dazey

Just been reading a news report about a club I used to go to all the time back home and it's got me thinking about how drinking habits differ from place to place. I mean from country to country how do licencing laws and the general social scene work? For instance over here it's pretty much par for the course to be in the pub from around lunchtime on a weekend and stay out until at least midnight usually. If you're clubbing then obviously it could be a lot later but I'm not really a fan of nightclubs in general any more.

When I was over in the US last year people looked at me in horror at the suggestion of getting started that early and I noticed that the whole "social" pub scene doesn't really exist, it's more of trendy bar scene or the more seedy dive bars which I love but are a marked difference from what I'm used to over here. I mean is that to do with booze still been seen as taboo in a lot of ways, a hangover (no pun intended) from the prohibition days or simply something else?

Also throw in any stories of stupid drunken exploits and wortnot. Things/people you've done, places you've woken up, things you've been charged with (Lenny)?

So what's the craic with bars, pubs, licencing laws where you are and do you prefer a nice wine bar or a proper grimy shithole for your jollies?

This is the article that made me think about it. So many good memories of the place. :lol:

Middlesbrough Arena nightclub 'poses risk to public', warn health chiefs!

HEALTH bosses have warned a nightclub is posing a significant risk to the public of Teesside. Cleveland Police is seeking a review of the licence for the Arena nightclub in Newport Road, Middlesbrough. The move comes after 35 incidents in a year were recorded at or near the club including one person who had part of an ear bitten off and another who lost part of a finger. It was backed by health chiefs with Edward Kunonga, director of public health for NHS Middlesbrough warning: “It is apparent that public safety has been put at risk by the Arena.” A hearing, which could last three days, was beginning today in Middlesbrough Town Hall before a Middlesbrough Council licensing panel.

The nightspot was granted a licence from 11am to 7am by Teesside Magistrates in 2007. Cleveland Police were to submit details of meetings they have held with the Arena on a number of occasions and about action plans put in place to try to address the their concerns over incidents in and around the premises. They were expected to say that while the action plans did produce improvements they were not maintained. Details of the 35 incidents in and around the Arena in the year to the end of March were being detailed in statements being submitted to the licensing panel. They also included people suffering injuries such as a broken cheekbones, losing part of a tooth, suffering a fractured skull, being knocked unconscious and suffering a fractured skull and having to have a brain scan following an assault.

In a statement Dr Kunonga warned of the risk to public safety. He added that, in 11 cases of people being injured in or near the Arena, the cost to NHS of treatment provided was £27,256. He said: “The high level of alcohol related crime and disorder, injuries and harm in Middlesbrough causes serious concern to NHS Middlesbrough and the incidents and injuries occurring at the Arena have made a direct contribution to this situation.”

A statement to the panel by PC Emma Price, of Middlesbrough police’s licensing unit, states: “Concerns have been raised by Cleveland Police due to the high quantity of serious violence offences occurring at the premises in the previous 12 months. Due to this matter an application has been made to review the current premises licence.” She says that the police had concerns that should the premises continue to be operated in the current manner then the licensing objectives would be seriously undermined. Neil Winterbottom, general manager at the Arena, did not wish to comment before the hearing took place. The licensing panel options include modifying the conditions of the licence, suspending the licence for a period not exceeding three months or even revoking it. Alternatively the panel may issue an informal warning or recommend improvement.

The Arena will be known to many on Teesside as the Rock Garden which opened its doors back in 1976. The Sex Pistols played there in 1977 when they were banned across the country and performed under the pseudonym Acne Rabble. The Clash, The Damned and Adam and the Ants played there before its closure in 1981. It later became the Arena.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2012/07/24/middlesbrough-arena-nightclub-poses-risk-to-public-warn-health-chiefs-84229-31460702/2/#ixzz21XULZ23A

Edited by Dazey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard
When I was over in the US last year people looked at me in horror at the suggestion of getting started that early

Fuck, i need to come with ya man, we'll be fuckin' toastin' the ghost of Ernest Hemingway at 8 in the morning! :lol:

When I was over in the US last year people looked at me in horror at the suggestion of getting started that early

Fuck, i need to come with ya man, we'll be fuckin' toastin' the ghost of Ernest Hemingway at 8 in the morning! :lol:

You're more than welcome my good man! I'll need somebody to carry the bags after all! ;)

You're more than welcome my good man! I'll need somebody to carry the bags after all! ;)

And wash your toilet too you oppressive cunt!

Guest Len B'stard

I'll just flog em to the yank equivalent of gyppos...although i can't imagine anybodys gonna wanna buy a couple of crusty potatoes and the famous Dazey family heirloom condom, handed down from great grandad dazey, the first man in Northern England to shag a goat in the most proper way possible :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

And wash your toilet too you oppressive cunt!

You volunteering like? ;)

His lot are worse than my lot, we'll stop at your pants, they'll have the fillings out of your teeth :lol: You live for a month of the value of one of your gold teeth where me and that lad come from!

I'll just flog em to the yank equivalent of gyppos...although i can't imagine anybodys gonna wanna buy a couple of crusty potatoes and the famous Dazey family heirloom condom, handed down from great grandad dazey, the first man in Northern England to shag a goat in the most proper way possible :lol:

It wasn't a goat it was yer Nan, but I'll admit the hairy back and beard did give that impression! ;)

Edited by Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

It wasn't a goat it was yer Nan, but the hairy back and beard did give that impression! ;)

So what you saying, sling a rug on your back and grow a beard and thats grandad Dazey seduced? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

If theres grass on the pitch, the Dazey's play. Alternatively if a girl sits on the kerb and her feet touch the road, thats great too. Fucking nonces the lot of em.

I've always used the "if her feet touch the floor when she's pissing" analogy but that's close enough. :lol: Should have known you'd use the alternative though, like your mum's bowling ball impression y' know? "Picked up, fingered and thrown in the gutter"? :lol:

Edited by Dazey

If theres grass on the pitch, the Dazey's play. Alternatively if a girl sits on the kerb and her feet touch the road, thats great too. Fucking nonces the lot of em.

I've always used the "if her feet touch the floor when she's pissing" analogy but that's close enough. :lol:

Only if its a potty.

I can't think of an actual topic more suited to a couple of Poms and an Aussie and it gets derailed into petty name calling after about three posts with no outside assistance!:lol: Well done fellas, keep up the good work you cunts! :lol:

This is a very good point and at least we're not fucking up anybody else's thread. :lol: If anybody wants to weigh in on topic though feel free and don't mind me and the help. :)

Edited by Dazey

My social circle prefers to hang around the pub for a few hours, but I don't think I have a representative social circle.

What do you mean by "representative"? I get the impression that barring sports events and the like, bars and pubs in the US are primarily just somewhere to go to get loaded. Seems like it's much more of a social hub over here to me.

Nah I don't really get drunk at the pub. I've got pub friends (it's really the only place I see them, other than to give them a wave when I see them the next morning at church). We don't really watch sports. It's just a place to convene, listen to each other tell stories, and listen to each other play music. There's a guy who plays piano, there are two Irish folk groups, one who plays fiddle, and I'm a piper. My closer friends and I all hang out there, too, but we are younger than the other typical groups who I see hanging out in pubs around town. Plus there is one pub that is "our pub." The other pubs, ehh, not so much.

Guest Len B'stard

Nah I don't really get drunk at the pub. I've got pub friends (it's really the only place I see them, other than to give them a wave when I see them the next morning at church). We don't really watch sports. It's just a place to convene, listen to each other tell stories, and listen to each other play music. There's a guy who plays piano, there are two Irish folk groups, one who plays fiddle, and I'm a piper. My closer friends and I all hang out there, too, but we are younger than the other typical groups who I see hanging out in pubs around town. Plus there is one pub that is "our pub." The other pubs, ehh, not so much.

How fuckin cool is that?!?! :)

Edited by sugaraylen