Axl & drugs

A question Marc:

Axl claimed he tried Heroin once, for a span of a week, and that was it. He claimed to never truly be addicted to anything even though he did pot and coke and shrooms recreationally...Would you say that is the truth? Or did Axl ever have any drug abuse problems? I just find it abnormal that he could simply do Heroin for a week and then drop it like it's nothing, it's so addictive that it's hard to imagine someone doing it a whole week and then stopping as if it was cigarettes.

Axl was fucking around with it for about 3 months around April to july 1986. When he saw what it was doing to his band mates, he stopped. I was very impressed that he was able to stop without any help. Also I was very proud of him for stopping.

A question Marc:

Axl claimed he tried Heroin once, for a span of a week, and that was it. He claimed to never truly be addicted to anything even though he did pot and coke and shrooms recreationally...Would you say that is the truth? Or did Axl ever have any drug abuse problems? I just find it abnormal that he could simply do Heroin for a week and then drop it like it's nothing, it's so addictive that it's hard to imagine someone doing it a whole week and then stopping as if it was cigarettes.

All that says is that he didn't do it often enough or to the extent where he developed a physical addiction. I know a few occasional heroin users who use it recreationally on weekends from time to time and have never developed an addiction. It's not like a rule that you try something once and suddenly you're addicted or everybody who's ever been given morphine in hospital would be sucking off tramps for a $20 bag wouldn't they? No offence Miser and I'm not being a dick here but I think sometimes your perception of drugs and drug users is a little detached from the reality of it all or at least informed by a rather narrow spectrum of experience. :shrugs: Axl didn't say he spent an entire week with a needle hanging out of his arm he simply said he'd dabbled over that period of time didn't he?

Edited by Dazey

Axl unknowingly did 'shrooms at least once:

"My World happened when we were sitting around being a bit bored. We had been working on "Live and Let Die" all night and it was early morning. I’d been listening to a lot of industrial music and all of a sudden I said, 'Hey man, let's do something. Let's see what happens. Let's just make it short and sweet and see what we come up with.' In three hours we wrote and recorded the song. I'll expose a little more of myself - we were also on 'shrooms. A friend of mine had stuck some mushrooms in my tea and I didn't know it. All of a sudden we were being really mellow. So it was kind of a socio-psychotic state of bliss. There was a certain focus we all wanted to keep for Illusion l and II, but when l did My World everyone dug it and wanted it on the record."

Shrooms, acid, weed/hash are not addictive. Acid stops working if you take it every weekend. Once you start building up a tolerance to its effects, you have to double up the dose. Eentually it becomes morr of a hassle doing it. As well, it's a social deug like E, Very fee people would want to do it alone. Shrooms are the same.

Weed, again is not addictive but it is habit forming. It takes 3 weeks for something to become a habit.

Most hardcore 'addicts' or users of heroin, crack, coke, etc., are addicts because of issues in their personal lives. Some people have the 'junkie gene' and some people are dealt a shitty hand in life. I worked in a detox centre. An addict is rarely someone who 'just tried it.'