Most important album of the last 25 years.

Damn_Smooth

Keep on telling yourself that Gn'R was different and more special than the countless other '80s bands. It won't change what others think about them though.

If you think GnR were on a level with Crue, Poison and all that then you're not as bright as I thought you were. :rolleyes:

nevermind changed nothing

It changed music more than Appetite for Destruction did.

AFD changed absolutely nothing in the music scene. Gn'R was just another hard rock band in that era with Mötley Crüe, and a few other bands during that time. 'The next Rolling Stones' is not original. It's just the 'next Rolling Stones' that happened to tail off Hair Metal.

Do you know how Nirvana changed the music scene? Because there was simply nothing to compare to them before and since. They were original and they did change music a lot more than Gn'R ever could. Nickelback may be a terrible band, and so are many modern alternative bands, but it would be safe to say they are influenced by Nirvana more than Gn'R because Nirvana changed music. They didn't just write some cliché hard rock album in the '80s like many bands before.

gnr didnt really change music that much either, they just showed the world during a time of shitty hair bands that you could still rock and do it hard and be successfull. to me an impact album has impact for decades. and by impact i dont mean just bands saying oh i like that album etc

for me black sabbath's first album was an impact album, it spawned a revolution in music that is still going

nevermind was just a hard rock album with teen age angst type of lyrics, yeah kurt wrote depressing lyrics but doom metal was doing that for almost 2 decades before he came along

the reason why most drool over nevermind/nirvana was because kurts look was the perfect look for generation x

The irony! Wouldn't you say Axl has his own flaws, many as pathetic if not more so than Cobain?

It's not the floor I'd worry about in Cobain's case it's the wall of his conservatory.

hard for me to say Nevermind was the most influential album of the last 25 years or Appetite. I try to go by whats popular these days. Most rock bands seem to be more R & B influenced than grunge so Appetite wins under that criteria.

Keep on telling yourself that Gn'R was different and more special than the countless other '80s bands. It won't change what others think about them though.

they may not be Led Zepp but dang dude this is just a silly comment.

Nirvana just bitched about things and cried about how depressing everything was. Guns (AFD) were more about "where's the party....where are the chicks".

Yeah and how was it any different than Girls, Girls, Girls by Crüe. Their style, personality, and story has all been done countless times. That is why AFD being important is absurd and downright puzzling.

There mustn't be a Nirvana forum in existence.

Ok they wouldn't gather attention.

They didn't they were simply part of the larger discussion. They garnered attention simply by virtue of them being posted in this thread. That does noting to validate them in any way.

nevermind changed nothing

It changed music more than Appetite for Destruction did.

AFD changed absolutely nothing in the music scene. Gn'R was just another hard rock band in that era with Mötley Crüe, and a few other bands during that time. 'The next Rolling Stones' is not original. It's just the 'next Rolling Stones' that happened to tail off Hair Metal.

Do you know how Nirvana changed the music scene? Because there was simply nothing to compare to them before and since. They were original and they did change music a lot more than Gn'R ever could. Nickelback may be a terrible band, and so are many modern alternative bands, but it would be safe to say they are influenced by Nirvana more than Gn'R because Nirvana changed music. They didn't just write some cliché hard rock album in the '80s like many bands before.

gnr didnt really change music that much either, they just showed the world during a time of shitty hair bands that you could still rock and do it hard and be successfull. to me an impact album has impact for decades. and by impact i dont mean just bands saying oh i like that album etc

for me black sabbath's first album was an impact album, it spawned a revolution in music that is still going

nevermind was just a hard rock album with teen age angst type of lyrics, yeah kurt wrote depressing lyrics but doom metal was doing that for almost 2 decades before he came along

the reason why most drool over nevermind/nirvana was because kurts look was the perfect look for generation x

"They (Krist and Kurt) were totally into Celtic Frost. They would listen to Celtic Frost and the Smithereens, and that’s what they imagined themselves to sound like." - Dave Grohl

Nirvana just bitched about things and cried about how depressing everything was. Guns (AFD) were more about "where's the party....where are the chicks".

Yeah and how was it any different than Girls, Girls, Girls by Crüe. Their style, personality, and story has all been done countless times. That is why AFD being important is absurd and downright puzzling.

No, if you lived during that era GnR were definitely different than the slew of bands at that time. Everybody wanted to be them. That record garnered fans from all sorts of different factions, they were not thought of as a "party" band. That was never the case.

The irony! Wouldn't you say Axl has his own flaws, many as pathetic if not more so than Cobain?

One beat up women, one shot up a pregnant woman. Equal at best. I personally give the nod to Kurt though, those women had the choice to leave. That baby didn't have the strength to bust out, or a voice to tell anybody. Top it off with a good shotgun ending blast to his already pathetic parenting skills, and I think we have a winner.

Still, both are very pathetic though. No excuses made for Axl from me, that's for sure.

The Most Important Album of the Last 25 Years Isn't Nevermind, It's Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction

LA Weekly

Good to see this moved to the correct section, The Band, the one and only Band (Guns N'Roses) unlike the other part of the forum dedicated to Dj Ash, Bumble Foot, Frank, Tommy Stinton, Christ Pittman That Bunch :D

Edited by vaida

The Most Important Album of the Last 25 Years Isn't Nevermind, It's Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction

LA Weekly

Good to see this moved to the correct section, The Band, the one and only Band (Guns N'Roses) unlike the other part of the forum dedicated to Dj Ash, Bumble Foot, Frank, Tommy Stinton, Christ Pittman That Bunch :D

Yes, sorry about that mods. I was wondering why nobody cared about it. :shrugs:

It's still Nevermind. Whether or not you like it, it changed music forever.

No.

I appreciate your convincing arguments.

Ask any music critic who does their job professionally as a way of living and they will say Nevermind conquers AFD as the most influential and important album from the last twenty five years.

Ok they wouldn't gather attention.

They didn't they were simply part of the larger discussion. They garnered attention simply by virtue of them being posted in this thread. That does noting to validate them in any way.

Great explanation.

No.

Ask any music critic who does their job professionally as a way of living and they will say Nevermind conquers AFD as the most influential and important album from the last twenty five years.

I like both Nirvana and Original GN'R equally. Both Nevermind and AFD are great albums. I'm glad both exist, both are great. The difference between both bands is, Nirvana went on to get better, with their follow up album, unlike GN'R who cleared their backlog with UYI, followed by a Covers album and Greatest Hits and Live Album, breaking up along the way. If the Cobain hadn't put a gun to his head, who knows what would have followed album wise ?

Edited by vaida

No.

I like both Nirvana and Original GN'R equally. Both Nevermind and AFD are great albums. I'm glad both exist, both are great. The difference between both bands is, Nirvana went on to get better, with their follow up album, unlike GN'R who cleared their backlog with UYI, followed by a Covers album and Greatest Hits and Live Album, breaking up along the way. If the Cobain hadn't put a gun to his head, who knows what would have followed album wise ?

There's very few worthy music critics, and it's still an opinion, but one that usually reflects the magazine they write for, and the listening audience that has similar tastes as they do.

I also think if you go country to country, each top ten list would be different.

But what is an "influential" album? One that changed the sound of radio, or one that led people to pick up an instrument? I hate the whole "influence" thing b/c of the Rock Hall induction process and what they consider is "influential". When the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, tons of kids bought Ludwig drums and Hofner basses. When Slash became known, he prob. made Les Paul millions, maybe billions. He learned the lesson from Paul Stanley not to diss people who could be of benefit to you later. I'm sure they've had dinners together laughing about it now.

I think GNR and Nirvana did their part in influencing music over the past 25 years, but they're all indirect influences that filter into all things rock, pop and country. I think country's done more to keep the rock flag flying than rock itself has. I've said it before, people traded their denim for shitkickers in 1990, and country is the biggest thing selling right now (can't wait for Axl to add a slide guitarist and fiddle player for the next CD).

Maybe rock is dead and it's just cookie cutter stuff taking from a little bit of Guns, Nirvana, Springsteen the Stones, and Beatles, and even some Bowie. We have Maroon 5 representing rock? Nickelback? Daughtry? That's the legacy of Guns and Nirvana? Pop stars like Pink are the 'spirit of rock'? Slash and Duff are hanging with Bieber?? Weiland's doing fucking Xmas music?

Pearl Jam is the last true American rock band I guess, and the older Vedder gets, the less he takes himself seriously. He was on Fallon singing "Balls in My Mouth". Top that, Axl.

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of the music industry, AFD is definitely not the most important album of the last 25 years. However, I do feel it's the best hard rock album of the last 25 years and for me personally it's the most important album because it introduced me to GN'R. The band put out a ton of great songs in a very short amount of time. Not only that, but their sound is just very unique.