With a possible new tour around the corner, what would motivate you to go see GNR again

downzy

Hey All,

With the latest tweet by Fernando, hints by Richard, and general rumors floating around of another tour being launched in the fall/winter, it got me thinking about ways GNR could motivate me to attend a future show that did not contain new material. When it comes to the show they've been putting on, I think I'm checked out (like most people around here). But I was thinking about ways GNR could possibly put on another show that didn't require new songs and might possibly get me to attend.

I'm thinking there's a few measures they could do to get me to go. The first would be to stop playing the same tired Chinese Democracy songs they've been playing for 3 years (and in some cases, 12) and play some of the songs they hardly, if ever, play. While perhaps keep Better, it would be great if they stopped playing Madgascar, Street of Dreams, Sorry, Chinese Democracy, This I Love and possibly Shacklers and started playing some stuff of Chinese Democracy that they don't normally play. This includes Catcher, Prostitute, and bring back I.R.S. I know it's a tough song to sing, but if Axl could pull off TWAT once in awhile it would be amazing. Maybe throw in Oh My God for good measure. This would require Axl to really get himself into shape and focus on getting his vocals in perfect order. Long shot for sure, but it could be done. If this meant a shorter show, i'd be fine with this so long as they're performing some of these more challenging songs that don't get played very much.

In terms of older material, they could drop off at least one of the UYI covers (if not both) and replace those with newer covers (not AC/DC). Not going to speculate what those could be (I think there's other threads for that), but two new covers would definitely freshen up the set (maybe something off TSI?). While obviously they'd have to keep Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City (and maybe Patience), perhaps they could start rotating in and out some of the AFD stuff. Like Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, Rocket Queen, Nightrain, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me; they could mix those up on a regular basis but never let the crowd know what order they're coming (useful for people like us and those who go to multiple shows).

I think ultimately for me, if they want to bring me back without playing new music, they're going to have to go back to some of the deeper cuts from Lies and the UYI albums. I'd say lose You Could Be Mine (helps Axl save his voice) and replace it full time with Civil War (I think most people prefer this song now anyway). Bring back songs like Yesterdays, Locomotive, Dead Horse, The Garden, You Ain't the First, Perfect Crime, and hell, why not the alt version of Don't Cry. I think dusting off the acoustic version of You're Crazy would be a great touch as well. And while November Rain is one of my favourite songs, perhaps they don't need to play it every show. I know it's held in the same regard as Jungle, SCOM, and Paradise City, but it's just a thought.

I think there's enough back material for GNR to get by on another North American tour without having to release new music. Obviously we all want new music, but if they were to change the show up enough like how I outlined above, I would definitely make it out to a show or two.

Hell, I'd rather have the show I just outlined than the same show we've been getting for the last 6 years plus a new song or two. I went to see them in Hamilton last November solely to hear Estranged performed live, but I doubt I'd drop $100 on a very similar show for the sake of hearing one or two new songs live.

Another possibility of getting my attention is if some of the older members were to start showing up for guest appearances or prolonged stints during the tour. You get Axl and Slash on the same stage and I'd be there regardless of what they played. Or perhaps you have Duff, Matt and Izzy play a few shows.

Just thinking out loud here. Any thoughts?

Edited by downzy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably go if they came back over here anyway cos regardless of the status of the band and new music you can at least be sure you're going to have a fun night. :shrugs:

Yep no matter what the setlist is, your going to have a blast!

+1

If the band decide to continue touring I would prefer a different setlist featuring new material or deeper cuts but if GN'R announced another show in Manchester tomorrow I would buy a ticket as soon as possible.

I had a great time at the three shows I went to on their U.K tour.

I'd go even if it's the same usual setlist, but, keeping my expectations low as always, I just hope Ron stays and they change the setlist a bit. Maybe just make You're Crazy and If The World a staple again... I know they won't play IRS.

Guest Gunns

If it's the same setlist I'd go all around Australia to see them, depeding on when it is though, no doubt their awesome live

I don't think they will need to change anything to tour the US again. They aren't playing big arena shows, just smaller venues. All they need to do is visit new towns. The setlist will go down just fine, It's only us that follow it that are really bored with it!

I probably wouldn't. I saw them twice in NYC on the UCAP tour, but then when they came to my neck of the woods in Philly/AC, I decided against it, because I was bored of the setlist. There's only so many times you can see the same songs, played in the same order, over and over again.

Next tour I am getting backstage! Move it on over Jarmo, the SOB, is moving in!

Me too... I hope they sell backstage passes down here in S.A too.

EDIT: And I'll tell DJ to gimme an autograph and say my name is Broski.

Edited by The Only Cosmonaut