With a possible new tour around the corner, what would motivate you to go see GNR again

downzy

I'd go see them every day for the rest of my life if all they ever played the theme song to Duck Tales on the fiddle. But I feel like such a broken record on this issue. Drop the majority of the stuff they've played at EVERY SHOW since '02 from AFD/UYI. We don't need to really hear 'Its So Easy' and 'Mr. Brownstone' every single show. To be honest, if they're not going to play any new material, they should play the entire 'Chinese Democracy' album, plus the big hits (Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, November Rain). Keep Nightrain, and drop fuckin Knockin on Heaven's Door. I know it's the epic sing along, but I'm sick of it. Anyone that wants to go see the hits has already seen it, so let those of us who are more interested in the post-UYI stuff have our moment...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go see them every day for the rest of my life if all they ever played the theme song to Duck Tales on the fiddle. But I feel like such a broken record on this issue. Drop the majority of the stuff they've played at EVERY SHOW since '02 from AFD/UYI. We don't need to really hear 'Its So Easy' and 'Mr. Brownstone' every single show. To be honest, if they're not going to play any new material, they should play the entire 'Chinese Democracy' album, plus the big hits (Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, November Rain). Keep Nightrain, and drop fuckin Knockin on Heaven's Door. I know it's the epic sing along, but I'm sick of it. Anyone that wants to go see the hits has already seen it, so let those of us who are more interested in the post-UYI stuff have our moment...

another tour yippppeeeee

another tour yippppeeeee

I would love to get on my soapbox and say no new material no show, but its a great night out and i have so few of those and the songs mean so much to me ill be there

crazyguy

Great thread, Downzy. I think a bunch of your ideas are great if they don't do any new songs. Changing out CD songs is something for sure I agree with. While it does play better live, I've never been a fan of Sorry at all. And it seemed like about 70% of the crowd at the show I went to agreed with me by going for beers or pees when it was played. I'd love to hear Prostitute and IRS.

I wouldn't mind them dropping Knockin and the AC/DC covers. Play different covers and/or the rare UYI stuff like Yesterdays, 14 years (even without Izzy), Dead Horse (which I bet would be pretty killer live), or even some kind of medley thing. That's a good idea about TSI covers, also. Nobody but we board geeks would probably even know it wasn't some random song.

I will go to see one more tour just based on pure principle and the fact we had a really fun time before, but seeing the same setlist and/or covers would be really disappointing.

Edited by scans n' copies

It's been interesting reading this thread. With the amount of bitching and moaning about the lack of new material, I would have thought that perhaps there would be a dearth of interest in attending an upcoming show that was without new material. Apparently not.

My main curiosity was based on the assumption that interest in the band has waned due to a lack of new material. It was with this in mind that I was wondering if there was anything else the band could do to besides release or perform new material that may rejuvenate your interest in seeing the band perform live. I guess despite all the gripes around here about the band's unwillingness or inability to release new material, most of us would still lineup to see the band live.

There's no doubt that most who've attended a show recently would agree that it's a kick-ass show. The setlist as it stands now is great. But for someone like myself, who's been spoiled in having seen the band perform 14 times over the past 10 years (13 times between 2002 and 2010), I'm not sure I'd rush out to see the band again if they came around here with the same show. Like I said, it's a great show, but it's one I've seen so many times. If they're not going to play new material, I was thinking of ways they could get people like myself who've seen the show many times to attend another show. While there have been some changes over the years, the setlist and show is based on the same structure. Kind of like any given car model. It feels like GNR has been promoting the same model for awhile. With every model generation, small tweaks and changes are made but it's essentially the same car. What would bring me back is a complete overhaul. What is needed is a new generation of the GNR live machine.

This isn't a thread to complain about GNR or their live performances. It was my intention to see what the band could do other than release new material that would rejuvenate enthusiasm around here. 'Cause let's face it, as fun as it has been posting on this forum again since the changes, enthusiasm about the band and the live act hasn't been in abundant supply recently.

Edited by downzy

I don't think they need a new album. They could just bring back Double Talking Jive, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession, Down on the Farm, ITW, Catcher, TWAT, Scraped, Anything Goes, Move to the City, IRS, pretty Tied Up...Dead Horse...Prostitute.

Chinese D

Shacklers

Better

Jungle

ITW

TWAT

Move to the City

Sweet Child

Catcher

Scraped

November Rain

Out to get Me

Think about you

Street of Dreams

Ain't it Fun

Madagascar

IRS

Riad

Paradise City

You Could Be Mine

Sorry

TIL

Prostitute

Edited by wasted

I'd go if I happened to be in town (they play 5 hours from me typically) or if a group of friends wanted to go and it'd turn out to be a fun road trip. But I, personally, wouldn't go out of my way to see GNR just so I can see them unless they release some new music. Even if they just play new songs live, I don't care if they release them officially. I guess touring is better than nothing but I can only see the same show so many times - and last time (2010) I didn't get many more CD songs than I did the first time (2006).

I'd go if I happened to be in town (they play 5 hours from me typically) or if a group of friends wanted to go and it'd turn out to be a fun road trip. But I, personally, wouldn't go out of my way to see GNR just so I can see them unless they release some new music. Even if they just play new songs live, I don't care if they release them officially. I guess touring is better than nothing but I can only see the same show so many times - and last time (2010) I didn't get many more CD songs than I did the first time (2006).

new guns n roses music isn't being released at this time

I'll go for one reason- Axl Rose.

Yeah, you like a band, or you don't. I would go and see GnR as many times as I could. I saw Zombie and Pantera like 50 times each, not because there was new material, because they put on an awesome show.

It's the perfect chance to release videos for TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute.

axl rose isn't making million dollar videos at this time

That's the problem you need about 5 mil at least to make a GNR vid. And the label won't fund it cos CD hasn't sold 20 million. It's a shame but I can see them in my mind anyway.

Saying I wouldn't go is just kidding myself. I go if they just covered Back in Black and threw bottles at me.

i'd see them if i were able to, but if they keep touring without new material i do think the audiences will gradually taper off. there will always be decent crowds just because of the name recognition of the band, and because they have old hits, but i think their touring would benefit financially from having something new to stand behind and promote. :shrugs: