Sympathy For The Devil / '94 Activity

Hi, Marc. Thanks for your contributions and the sharing of your experiences.

Regarding Sympathy For The Devil, I'm awfully curious about a few aspects if you have any knowledge:

1) The song was released in November of '94. Do you know which month it was recorded?

2) Were the first Snakepit sessions before or after the SFTD recording? (they have to be at right about the same time)

3) Has Axl ever expressed his feelings on how the song turned out? (I think it's one of his best ever vocal performances)

4) Who says "Don't forget to drink your milk." at the end of the track?

5) What are your thoughts on the song and its involvment in the film Interview With A Vampire?

Hi, Marc. Thanks for your contributions and the sharing of your experiences.

Regarding Sympathy For The Devil, I'm awfully curious about a few aspects if you have any knowledge:

1) The song was released in November of '94. Do you know which month it was recorded?

2) Were the first Snakepit sessions before or after the SFTD recording? (they have to be at right about the same time)

3) Has Axl ever expressed his feelings on how the song turned out? (I think it's one of his best ever vocal performances)

4) Who says "Don't forget to drink your milk." at the end of the track?

5) What are your thoughts on the song and its involvment in the film Interview With A Vampire?

I think it was recorded quickly because the movie had a screening the Stones version was used. So it was a last minute thing to have guns do it. I don't remember what came first this song or Snakepit recordings. My best guess is the Snakepit stuff may have been done first. Axl must have liked it because he brought me a tape of it as a gift before it came out. Meaning he was probably proud of it. I don't know who said the milk thing. I liked it.

When Slash put down his parts he did a different lead at the end of the song than keith did. Axl wanted it be like the one on the record.( Axl was right about that, it was a signature lead and should be there) Don't fuck with something that everyone already knows. Slash had to go back and fix it before Axl would do more work on the song. Then Axl had paul put one down and mixed it in with Slash's. Slash was not happy about that. I think that one of the things that showed Slash that he no longer had a say in things. I've heard Slash say "that's the sound of the band breaking up when referring to that song.

When you got tapes like that, did you ever worry about someone trying to dub them and leaking them?

Was Slash intentionally trying to play it his way to get under Axl's skin, because Axl was telling him to do it as Keith did it?

I always thought the amount of shows they did on the Illusions tour played a part in destroying the band, did they seem any different after they got off the road from it? They were flush with money, they were older (not sure about mature though), just wondered if they seemed tired or jaded from what they'd gone through for the past few years at the time.

To me, Slash and Duff are more road warriors (although they want to be there for the big events with their kids), Axl prob. more of a homebody.

When you got tapes like that, did you ever worry about someone trying to dub them and leaking them?

Was Slash intentionally trying to play it his way to get under Axl's skin, because Axl was telling him to do it as Keith did it?

I always thought the amount of shows they did on the Illusions tour played a part in destroying the band, did they seem any different after they got off the road from it? They were flush with money, they were older (not sure about mature though), just wondered if they seemed tired or jaded from what they'd gone through for the past few years at the time.

To me, Slash and Duff are more road warriors (although they want to be there for the big events with their kids), Axl prob. more of a homebody.

I've never understood why Slash gave into Axl's requests. If Slash never wanted to do the song in the first place, why didn't he refuse to do the session? At that point in time, if Slash were to have held his ground, the song wouldn't have been recorded without him. It baffles me why he both disliked the idea of doing the song, yet went along with Axl's demands when he himself threatened to quit working on the track without Slash's changes. Why didn't Slash just go "Good!" ?

As random as it might sound, what was Axl's appearnace around this time? Had he cut his hair shorter at this point?

Dave Lank seems to be a name that comes up with Axl, as being his closest friend, closer than Izzy, even, plus they (Paul and Dave) were in the band that gave Axl his name. I wonder why Axl decided to bring Paul in and not Dave.

I also read Axl tried to produce Dave and Paul and they only got a couple of songs done. Not sure if this played a part in delaying Chinese Democracy. Any stories about this?