The Johnny Thunders Thread

Guest Len B'stard

Guest Len B'stard

Any fans? I reckon Johnny was the fuckin' bollocks. Most stylish, most cool, pure rock n roll, right to his bones. He got a really interesting sound out of those Les Paul TV Specials or Les Paul Juniors or whatever they're called. Absolutely love him, i've never heard a bad Johnny Thunders song in the world, The Dolls were fuckin' amazing, The Heartbreakers, somehow, and this never happens, a persons second band being as good as their first when their first was like a stun grenade into a crowded room. Johnny was the fuckin' man, he WAS rock n roll, he lived in exactly and to the letter in a way that all your rich boys like Keith Richards etc only play at. When Johnny had to kick heroin he didn't have no expensive clinics and bullshit, he was a proper street junkie, while Rich Richards did it to, in his own words, keep one foot in the gutter, Johnny WAS the fuckin' gutter.

I've never come across an artist thats been so fuckin' amazing on every album he ever touched, the guy was amazing. And he had this amazing hurt and haunted quality on songs like Hurt Me, It's Not Enough, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory.

Any fans, of this fuckin' titan of rock history?

Just listen to that fuckin' riff..

The dude was a great songwriter, LAMF and So Alone are excellent albums. Johnny was also probably the best guitar player within the whole punk scene back then, he was a lot more articulated than other guitarists but he was still going off on 100% raw emotion, its not like he planned out what he was going to play he just fucking played. He was like the Hendrix of punk

I remember you once saying punk had nothing to do with rock n roll... seriously Johnny Thunders is proof of how wrong that statement is

Guest Len B'stard

I've always thought Johnny Thunders had nothing to do with punk...but fuck that, YAY!! Another Johnny Thunders fan, i knew there was something special about you Sweetness you beautiful man, you! There were some pretty good guitarists in punk also though. If you listen to Steve Jones from The Pistols he's pretty much a Johnny T knock off. The lead guitarist for Slaughter and the Dogs was good...and people like Lu Edmonds and all that.

Johnny was just the fuckin' man though, it's difficult to explain but he really could wring some fuckin' sounds out of the guitar. Whats odd about Johnny is that, despite being like, Mr Guitar he never considered himself a guitar player but more, like, an entertainer?

I don't know how much you'd agree with this being a Brit but I've heard him described as the godfather of punk rock, at least that's how New Yorkers view him :shrugs:

His music is a lot more rock n roll, he's got a lot of chuck berry in his style, but he had a much darker tone to his songwriting and despite having a huge following and being so influential he never really broke through so I dunno maybe that's where the punk label comes from. Pretty sure The Dolls was the height of his career.

But yeah, I can thank GNR and the Soprano's for getting me into Thunders :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

See Johnny got his start with The Dolls as a rock n roll band and thats all he ever claimed to be or aspired to or wrote songs as or sounded like. Their kinda...ramshackle take on things inspired punk but lets face it, The Dolls were just a more extremer Stones. Johansen and Johnny were like their Mick and Keith, most of their stage moves and stuff are pure Mick and Keith, apparently Mick was gonna sign em to Rolling Stone Records but he took exception to David Johansen cuz he was such a clone of him, or he felt he was such a clone of him.

And the The Heartbreakers, they got together during the punk scene when it was kicking off in London and Malcolm McLaren managed to get them on a plane to England and on the Anarchy tour but i don't think Johnny was really like, punk or a punk musician or...any of that really. And thats not a slight against him, i just think punk was what was happenin' around Johnny but it didn't really define him or anything.

Did you ever check out the song Hurt Me?

Always thought it was amazingly pretty. I think you might like Richard Hell and the Voidoids y'know, if you gave em a shot ;)

Any fans? I reckon Johnny was the fuckin' bollocks. Most stylish, most cool, pure rock n roll, right to his bones. He got a really interesting sound out of those Les Paul TV Specials or Les Paul Juniors or whatever they're called. Absolutely love him, i've never heard a bad Johnny Thunders song in the world, The Dolls were fuckin' amazing, The Heartbreakers, somehow, and this never happens, a persons second band being as good as their first when their first was like a stun grenade into a crowded room. Johnny was the fuckin' man, he WAS rock n roll, he lived in exactly and to the letter in a way that all your rich boys like Keith Richards etc only play at. When Johnny had to kick heroin he didn't have no expensive clinics and bullshit, he was a proper street junkie, while Rich Richards did it to, in his own words, keep one foot in the gutter, Johnny WAS the fuckin' gutter.

I've never come across an artist thats been so fuckin' amazing on every album he ever touched, the guy was amazing. And he had this amazing hurt and haunted quality on songs like Hurt Me, It's Not Enough, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory.

Absolutely fucking love him, he's probably one of my single favorite musicians of all time. My favorite Johnny Thunders recordings of all have to be this acoustic concert he did in Osaka just before he died, its so raw and sincere, some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, its stripped down and just phenomenal, I love him doing the brash rock and roll stuff, but its those hurt and haunted songs that I cannot get enough of, like the versions of "Society makes me sad" and "So Alone" from the Osaka acoustic gig:

Too bad Johnny didn't live to hear this version.

You know who's an old school punk? Anthony Bourdain. He wrote that the Dead Boys, Thunders, The Ramones and others used to go to his restaurant, and he'd get free tickets as a tradeoff. And yeah, he dabbled in heroin...

265643228_640.jpg

Edited by dalsh327

Guest Len B'stard

Anybody heard his stuff with Wayne Kramer in Gang War? It's all live stuff but fuck me is it powerful...they do like Ramblin' Rose, These Boots Are Made For Walking, The Harder They Come, Round & Round, loads of classics including songs of their own, one of which i really love called Hey Thanks, with Kramer on vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBEUjcp0Z0

Guest Len B'stard

I'd love to've seen his gig at the Lyceum, the Heartbreakers comeback gig, God that would've been fantastic. You can get it on DVD, i think it's called Wanted Dead or Alive or something..

Saw him live in NYC in the 70's and he was amazing! I was lucky I caught him on a night when he was not all smacked out.....

I saw him on a smacked out night.

Pretty bad.He could hardly stand...slurred a few words each song.

Could hardly play so they played Pipeline three times,badly.

A friend has the setlist from the stage,it has Johnny's blood on it.

Hmmm...how advanced is DNA cloning these days? :devilshades:

Guest Len B'stard

Saw him live in NYC in the 70's and he was amazing! I was lucky I caught him on a night when he was not all smacked out.....

I saw him on a smacked out night.

Pretty bad.He could hardly stand...slurred a few words each song.

Could hardly play so they played Pipeline three times,badly.

A friend has the setlist from the stage,it has Johnny's blood on it.

Hmmm...how advanced is DNA cloning these days? :devilshades:

We need to get Uncle Munster on that shit, what was his name, the vampire uncle, was it Grandpa, it was Grandpa, wasn't it?

EDIT: what the fuck am i talking about, "whats the uncles name, was it Grandpa?" :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Yes, yes, and yes once again. I love Johnny. He's one of my favorite guitarists of all time. Such great talent. I just wish I could've seen him perform live. I see him as one of the most influential guitarists of all time. He really deserves more credit.

Duff's tribute to him on TSI? really touches me. When he references Great Big Kiss and says eff it...it's so sincere. I sound like a complete sap right now but gosh it's touching!

Guest Len B'stard

Duff's tribute to him on TSI? really touches me. When he references Great Big Kiss and says eff it...it's so sincere. I sound like a complete sap right now but gosh it's touching!

I find it slightly patronising.

How so?

Guest Len B'stard

How so?

Well it was right on the back of johnnys death, like a year or so after, about this guy that lived his entire life not getting the credit he deserved and then this very limp cover by a guy who by all accounts never really knew Johnny, who could've offered the kinda support Johnny needed waiting til after he's dead to offer a tribute, its like where were you before? It's just corny...and a really crap cover, his LA punk vocal style didnt lend itself very well to this very gentle kinda beleagured sounding softly sung little tune.

How so?

Well it was right on the back of johnnys death, like a year or so after, about this guy that lived his entire life not getting the credit he deserved and then this very limp cover by a guy who by all accounts never really knew Johnny, who could've offered the kinda support Johnny needed waiting til after he's dead to offer a tribute, its like where were you before? It's just corny...and a really crap cover, his LA punk vocal style didnt lend itself very well to this very gentle kinda beleagured sounding softly sung little tune.

I thought I read somewhere that Duff and Johnny were pretty close friends. But I could be mistaken. I doubt Duff could've helped him much with his drug problem since Duff was already high most of the time. I'm pretty sure Johnny died in 1991. Duff was nowhere close to being sober at that time. I really enjoy the cover though. I also dig that Duff played every instrument on the song. But I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. To each his own! Johnny was one of a kind and deserves a lot more credit for what he did and who he inspired.

Guest Len B'stard

How so?

I thought I read somewhere that Duff and Johnny were pretty close friends. But I could be mistaken. I doubt Duff could've helped him much with his drug problem since Duff was already high most of the time. I'm pretty sure Johnny died in 1991. Duff was nowhere close to being sober at that time. I really enjoy the cover though. I also dig that Duff played every instrument on the song. But I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. To each his own! Johnny was one of a kind and deserves a lot more credit for what he did and who he inspired.

Really, i heard Duff went to a couple of his shows but thats it. And don't get me wrong, it's not like you owe someone a fuckin' duty or anything just cuz you cover their song but i mean...y'know, Bowie helped Iggy when he needed it, Kurt Cobain was all about like, y'know, bringing bands he liked into the spotlight and all that.

But all in all, you can't really help people like Johnny T, there's nothing no one could offer him.

I'm just a huge Thunders fan, like immense, i'm that bad i used to own one of his suits :lol: So maybe it's that, maybe i'm just kinda precious about it for some odd reason, like the little girls into Justin Bieber :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

How so?

Really, i heard Duff went to a couple of his shows but thats it. And don't get me wrong, it's not like you owe someone a fuckin' duty or anything just cuz you cover their song but i mean...y'know, Bowie helped Iggy when he needed it, Kurt Cobain was all about like, y'know, bringing bands he liked into the spotlight and all that.

But all in all, you can't really help people like Johnny T, there's nothing no one could offer him.

I'm just a huge Thunders fan, like immense, i'm that bad i used to own one of his suits :lol: So maybe it's that, maybe i'm just kinda precious about it for some odd reason, like the little girls into Justin Bieber :lol:

Come on mate Duff was as bad off as Johnny Thunder was back in the day..... Do you really expect him to help Johnny when he could not help himself? Duff was a mess back then........You may not like the result but If he was not a fan he would not have done the cover version to begin with..and by doing the cover he was showcasing Johnny's music to new fans who may never have heard of him as not everyone is a Dolls or Thunder fan like us.....I think Duff needs a little slack in this case..........

Edited by classicrawker

Guest Len B'stard

You got rid of his suit?! Why?!?!

And no worries man, I'm the same way with Axl. He's my biggest hero.

It was kinda the first and only piece of rock n roll memorabillia i've ever had and...see i love artists, lots of em but my love extends to like, buying the albums, knowing all the songs, maybe a t shirt here or there and thats it. I love the music but i've never been a collector of any kind or someone who plasters his walls with posters and bootlegs and, y'know these mental fuckin' completist guys that gotta have every bit of everything.

Quite apart from anything, whats the point of me buying some Pistols bootleg or live gig when like, y'know, expand, move on, broaden, talk to people, get some reccomendations, listen to some new shit. At any given time i've got a backlog of new artists i wanna listen to as long as my arm, i ain't got time to be obssessing over owning the same interview CD in triplicate just cuz each disc has a different picture on it, that ain't my interest, my interest is the sound instruments make :)

But yeah, i bought this suit, this tiny little suit and it was just a suit and it sat in the bottom drawer under my bed from the day i bought it til like...well, permanently basically and it was like, y'know what, one day this is just gonna get thrown out by someone, i might as well sell it and have someone that values this kinda shit have it. Had bloodstains on the pants leg too.

I love Johnny Thunders but i wouldn't say he or anybody else is my hero, i like em in like...a human kinda way, i like the songs they made, i like the people they appear to be from screens and pages of magazines...and thats kinda it.

Edited by sugaraylen