The Johnny Thunders Thread

Guest Len B'stard

Guest Len B'stard

You wanna check out my Bet365 account, it'll corroborate the 'cuntbag' thing and totally invalidate the 'not wrong about much' thing :lol:

You wanna check out my Bet365 account, it'll corroborate the 'cuntbag' thing and totally invalidate the 'not wrong about much' thing :lol:

Just trying' to be nice. :( I was gonna say you lot should have been shelled on sight but hey ho!

Guest Len B'stard

Im a bit of a racial let down that way, i cant cook, i cant work a cash register and my 'thank you, come again' sounds forced and insincere :lol:

Saw him live in NYC in the 70's and he was amazing! I was lucky I caught him on a night when he was not all smacked out.....

I saw him on a smacked out night.

Pretty bad.He could hardly stand...slurred a few words each song.

Could hardly play so they played Pipeline three times,badly.

A friend has the setlist from the stage,it has Johnny's blood on it.

Hmmm...how advanced is DNA cloning these days? :devilshades:

We need to get Uncle Munster on that shit, what was his name, the vampire uncle, was it Grandpa, it was Grandpa, wasn't it?

EDIT: what the fuck am i talking about, "whats the uncles name, was it Grandpa?" :lol:

Yeah..Grandpa. :tongue2:

I was talking to the guy who has the bloody setlist.

Johnny autographed it for him.

Not in blood though...how cool would that have been!! :devilshades:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here seen the French film, 'Mona et moi'? Johnny plays one of the leads in it, it was filmed in '89, and he pretty much appears as himself (a character called 'johnny valentine) and he plays some of his songs in it as well. I'm watching it now and it's pretty allright, Johnny has such an amazing presence on screen.

mona_et_moi.jpg

Guest Len B'stard

Has anyone here seen the French film, 'Mona et moi'? Johnny plays one of the leads in it, it was filmed in '89, and he pretty much appears as himself (a character called 'johnny valentine) and he plays some of his songs in it as well. I'm watching it now and it's pretty allright, Johnny has such an amazing presence on screen.

mona_et_moi.jpg

Yeah thats a great movie, if you get the chance check out what about me, jerry nolan and dee dee ramone and rockets redglare (alleged murderer of nancy spungen and generally ny icon are all in it with johnny), i think its kinda where johnny got the idea for the help the homeless song.

Amazing movie though.

Edited by sugaraylen

mona_et_moi.jpg

Yeah thats a great movie, if you get the chance check out what about me, jerry nolan and dee dee ramone and rockets redglare (alleged murderer of nancy spungen and generally ny icon are all in it with johnny), i think its kinda where johnny got the idea for the help the homeless song.

Amazing movie though.

Awesome, I've never seen that, I'll have to check it out, thanks! Are Johnny/Jerry/Dee Dee/Rockets' appearances short cameos, or larger roles?

• 1 year later...
Guest Len B'stard

Anyone heard about this/gonna catch it when it comes out?

1011517_763204263693138_1319003881_n.jpg

Brand new johnny docu, crownfunded, been waiting for this for a while, looks pretty good.

Been wanting to know when it comes out for ages, there's another one out there too, called Born to Lose: The Last Rock n Roll Movie. Probably the most grim unforgiving and difficult to sit through documentary i've ever seen, for the simple fact of the sheer volume of human fuckin' scum and ne'er do wells interviewed in it.

Huge JT fan. Saw him live once...and while he was off his head, it was one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen.

His discography isn't the best with lots of shitty sounding live albums. His studio output is great but considering he was around for 20 years, there's not too much.

Que Sera Sera is my fav studio album of his. Add Water & Stir is my fav live album.

But really, I love everything...from the Dolls to Gang War to his duets album with Patti Palladin, to the Heartbreakers to the Oddballs....there's no one quite like Johnny Thunders.

"I feel so lucky to be alive...."

Guest Len B'stard

Gang War, fuck me, it's amazing how POWERFUL they sounded huh? Some of the funniest between song Thunders banter happened no those Gang War albums too.

Edited by sugaraylen

Gang War, fuck me, it's amazing how POWERFUL they sounded huh? Some of the funniest between song Thunders banter happened no those Gang War albums too.

I think Wayne Kramer went to jail not long after he and JT formed Gang War. And I think there was bad blood between them from then on.

Guest Len B'stard

I thought he came out and joined Gang War and they fell out over money when Johnny called him up and gave him some risible financial offer for their next gig and he was like i wont even get out of bed for that money.

I thought he came out and joined Gang War and they fell out over money when Johnny called him up and gave him some risible financial offer for their next gig and he was like i wont even get out of bed for that money.

could be...i know jail was involved somehow

Anyone heard about this/gonna catch it when it comes out?

1011517_763204263693138_1319003881_n.jpg

Brand new johnny docu, crownfunded, been waiting for this for a while, looks pretty good.

... there's another one out there too, called Born to Lose: The Last Rock n Roll Movie. Probably the most grim unforgiving and difficult to sit through documentary i've ever seen, for the simple fact of the sheer volume of human fuckin' scum and ne'er do wells interviewed in it.

I've been googling that, it sounds amazing, dyou know anywhere I can watch it? Been tryna find it but its been removed everywhere I've looked.

Any fans? I reckon Johnny was the fuckin' bollocks. Most stylish, most cool, pure rock n roll, right to his bones. He got a really interesting sound out of those Les Paul TV Specials or Les Paul Juniors or whatever they're called. Absolutely love him, i've never heard a bad Johnny Thunders song in the world, The Dolls were fuckin' amazing, The Heartbreakers, somehow, and this never happens, a persons second band being as good as their first when their first was like a stun grenade into a crowded room. Johnny was the fuckin' man, he WAS rock n roll, he lived in exactly and to the letter in a way that all your rich boys like Keith Richards etc only play at. When Johnny had to kick heroin he didn't have no expensive clinics and bullshit, he was a proper street junkie, while Rich Richards did it to, in his own words, keep one foot in the gutter, Johnny WAS the fuckin' gutter.

I've never come across an artist thats been so fuckin' amazing on every album he ever touched, the guy was amazing. And he had this amazing hurt and haunted quality on songs like Hurt Me, It's Not Enough, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory.

Any fans, of this fuckin' titan of rock history?

Just listen to that fuckin' riff..

Johnny Thunders sucks dick from the grave :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Gave some of his music a try a few months ago and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Yeah but at the same time your taste is pretty fuckin dire on your best day really, isn't it? :lol: Be honest now :lol: Your taste is that bad that your favourites tend to be the worst offerings of the shittest bands. Like proper tragic stuff. Don't take that bad, i have some naff taste too sometimes but yours is like Blockbusters contestant levels of sad :lol: If i had to choose from among your album collection for my desert island disks i'd honestly rather sit in silence :lol:

• 3 months later...
Hey Everybody! Here's the first leg of Looking for Johnny promo screenings and film festivals, more dates will be added asap. See you on the road. LAMF!!!

MAY 3 - CHICAGO/ CIMM FESTIVAL

MAY 5 - NYC / ANTHOLOGY FILM ARCHIVES

MAY 9 - TORONTO/ CANADIAN MUSIC WEEK

MAY 11 - ARLINGTON, MA / THE REGENT THEATRE

MAY 15 - GLOUCESTER, MA/ CAPE ANN CINEMA

MAY 17 - WASHINGTON DC / GALA THEATRE

MAY 22 - NEW ORLEANS / ZEITGEIST

MAY 23 - DALLAS / TEXAS THEATRE

MAY 24 - LOS ANGELES / DOWNTOWN INDEPENDENT

MAY 27 - SAN FRANCISCO / ROXIE THEATRE

JUNE 5 - LONDON/ PRINCE CHARLES CINEMA

JUNE 7/8 - STOCKHOLM / BIO RIO

JUNE 10 - LUND / BIOGRAFEN KINO

JUNE 11 - GOTHENBURG / FILM ROY

JUNE 21 - ATHENS / MIKROKOSMOS THEATRE

JUNE 27 - MADRID / TRANSMISSIONS FESTIVAL

JULY 5 - BARCELONA / TRANSMISSIONS FESTIVAL

First dates for screenings of the documentary, it looks amazing!

Guest Len B'stard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29VVx4pCkM

Really quite harrowing saddening documentary on Johnny Thunders, the only one out there so far I believe, by Lech Kowalski of DOA (the documentary, not the band) fame. REALLY REALLY rare footage and interesting interviews, yet very like...not seen by many people, sadly.

There was so much interview footage with Dee Dee Ramone that it was released in a separate documentary called Hey Is Dee Dee Home? about Dee Dee.

Edited by sugaraylen