Physical Graffiti--Best album ever?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IV is a perfect album.

The Battle Of Evermore is meh. Misty Mountain Hop and Four Sticks suck. And that's a third of the running time.

I see that "Kashmir" is on the album.

Pretty much automatically takes it out of the running for best album ever.

You had to look to know that Kashmir was on that album?

I only own Led Zeppelin II, IV, and How the West Was Won from them, and I'm not a very big fan anyways. Not to mention it's one of the worst songs ever so I've never really cared to check which album it's on. So... yeah.

Are you on crack?

Guest Len B'stard

John does a 1 sentence review of it at about 14 seconds :D

Yeah, it's a load of shit really and thats just cuz it's boring. Jimmy Page is a man that was a fuckin' tacks weight away from making fuckin' muzak and you can actually see why when you listen to someone Zeppelins stuff, thats my problem with Led Zeppelin chiefly, it all seems to lacking in intent.

His claim is the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever read about Led Zeppelin, but still. :lol: Battle of Evermore especially is brilliant. It's got cool dynamics, and Robert's vocals are stunning. And there are some amazing harmonies. It's probably my second favorite off the album (behind Going to California). Misty Mountain Hop isn't a masterpiece, but it's really catchy and groovy. It makes you wanna get up and do something. And the guitar sounds so bluesy. I suppose it could get tiring, though.

I like Four Sticks, but I can understand not liking it.

John does a 1 sentence review of it at about 14 seconds :D

Yeah, it's a load of shit really and thats just cuz it's boring. Jimmy Page is a man that was a fuckin' tacks weight away from making fuckin' muzak and you can actually see why when you listen to someone Zeppelins stuff, thats my problem with Led Zeppelin chiefly, it all seems to lacking in intent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JybkqBGrVs

Edited by Indigo Miser

Guest Len B'stard

I'm sorry i can't listen to that right now cuz i'm at work so i'm not sure what you're getting at but i have heard the Physical Graffiti album all the way through and i didn't think much of it at all to be honest. It's difficult for me to get into because there's nothing about it that i feel i can relate to in anyway, it all seems very vague and remote from anything i care to understand, it just doesn't strike me in anyway. I do like some of their songs and in certain songs i like what individual players are doing i.e. the drums on Dazed and Confused are some of the best i've ever heard...but overall it's just like...dunno, just nothing clicks in me when i listen to em.

I'm sorry i can't listen to that right now cuz i'm at work so i'm not sure what you're getting at but i have heard the Physical Graffiti album all the way through and i didn't think much of it at all to be honest. It's difficult for me to get into because there's nothing about it that i feel i can relate to in anyway, it all seems very vague and remote from anything i care to understand, it just doesn't strike me in anyway. I do like some of their songs and in certain songs i like what individual players are doing i.e. the drums on Dazed and Confused are some of the best i've ever heard...but overall it's just like...dunno, just nothing clicks in me when i listen to em.

Well I think a popular misconception people have is that all of Led Zeppelin's lyrics etc is about wizards and Lord of the Rings...

But a song like The Rover, for example...It's something to relate to. The guy's done and seen a lot of shit, he's broke his back, he's older and wiser for all his experiences but he sees his time is running out--That people like him are old school, a new school's taking over, and it saddens him--Can't we all just get along? And he's done so much but at the end, will all of the stuff he's done be worth it? The song is sort of a commentary both on the changing times of the times of the '70s and the band's career itself and it actually foreshadows the rise of Punk.

I've been to London, seen seven wonders. I know to trip is just to fall

I used to rock it, sometimes I'd roll it. I always knew what it was for.

There can be no denyin' that the wind 'll shake 'em down

And the flat world's flyin'. There's a new plague on the land

If we could just join hands [X3]

Traversed the planet when heaven sent me. I saw the kings who rule them all

Still by the firelight and purple moonlight. I hear the rested rivers call

And the wind is crying, from a love that won't grow cold

My lover, she is lying, on the dark side of the globe

If we could just join hands [X3]

You got me rockin' when I ought to be a-rollin'

Darlin', tell me, darlin', which way to go

You keep me rockin', baby, then you keep me stolen

Won't you tell me, darlin', which way to go... that's right

Oh how I wonder, oh how I worry and I would dearly like to know

I've all this wonder of earthly plunder, will it leave us anything to show?

And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low

Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old

If we could just join hands.

I could go song by song but surely, for another example, everyone's had an experience like the lyrics of Ten Years Gone? I'd really like to go into a discussion with you about LZ--Physical Graffiti and their other albums too--Give PG a re-listen and let's compare notes.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Its a great album, but I don't think its their best. I can think of at least two that I like better (IV and Presence) personally.

No one has mentioned my favorite song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQKQ3-bzXV8

Hey, I'm with you. Oddly enough, I think PG is one of the best albums ever, but Presence is my favourite Zep album.

Stones - Exile on Main St.

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's

Hendrix - Are you Experienced

The Doors - The Doors

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Queen - A Night at the Opera

Sabbath - Paranoid

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Clash - London Calling

The Who - Who's Next

Clapton - Slowhand

all better than Physical Graffiti

Edited by JKKDARK

Stones - Exile on Main St.

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's

Hendrix - Are you Experienced

The Doors - The Doors

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Queen - A Night at the Opera

Sabbath - Paranoid

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Clash - London Calling

The Who - Who's Next

Clapton - Slowhand

all better than Physical Graffiti

I remember when I had my first beer, too.

Guest Len B'stard
Well I think a popular misconception people have is that all of Led Zeppelin's lyrics etc is about wizards and Lord of the Rings...

But a song like The Rover, for example...It's something to relate to. The guy's done and seen a lot of shit, he's broke his back, he's older and wiser for all his experiences but he sees his time is running out--That people like him are old school, a new school's taking over, and it saddens him--Can't we all just get along? And he's done so much but at the end, will all of the stuff he's done be worth it? The song is sort of a commentary both on the changing times of the times of the '70s and the band's career itself and it actually foreshadows the rise of Punk.

I weren't saying its all about wizards and shit, i just said i found it difficult to relate to...and to be honest with you i find that difficult to relate to and it's not just the subject matter but the way it's expressed and how much it hits home, just doesn't do it for me :shrugs:

I'd say that does it better and that ain't even one of The Who's better songs...Townshend ain't even a singer in Plants league but he can convey shit better.

Let's see Steve Jones or Kurt Cocain do that.

Jimmy Page couldn't play like Steve Jones or Kurt Cobain if he tried, just as they couldn't play like him if they tried ;) I ain't no fuckin' guitar maestro or nothing but as far as my understanding goes no two guitar players really play the same way, we learn different, we grown into different habits, we apply varying amounts of pressure fretting strings, we strum a certain and the sound any guitar player makes is specific to them and their style and the way they play and the guitars they use, it's less of a celebrity squares, it's a knockout, top ten, i'm better than him whoose better than them who are better than those guys, it's about the direction a given individual has taken and the sort of sounds he wants to make, what about that makes you think it's so complicated that Kurt Cobain or Steve Jones couldn't sit there and work it out after a few listens? Question is why would they want to?

out of those, only Are you Experienced, Who's Next, and maybe Machine Head deserve to be in the same conversation.

Honestly moreblack, i love you but sometimes you talk some fuckin shit :lol: Sgt Peppers ain't worthy of mention alongside Physical Graffiti?!?! :lol: 9 of those albums are FAR superior to Physical Graffiti. Bands like Led Zeppelin nearly sunk rock n roll as a genre because they were just so awful when it came to experimentation or doing something different musically, it was all just like, transplants from other genres or styles and none of it was every anything particularly new, just a very slack take on some pre-existing thing, that to me isn't experimentation and it isn't forwarding moving and it does do anything for the medium, it's just basically a bunch of very talented musicians that can replicate other styles and shit like that but it ain't in the league of bands like PiL or Can or Neu! or, i dunno, even people like David Bowie, it's not really anything different at all, it's just a bunch of very well learned instrumentalists doing a sort of dilletante thing. It's not like certain Krautrock or No Wave stuff where it's like deconstructing theory or what have you, Led Zeppelin have like a boring old college music teacher mentality to their shit, really man, who do you think this band actually are man? :lol: I mean dig who you dig but come ONNNN, most of those albums are vastly superior to Zeppelin.

Edited by sugaraylen

No they ain't, not really. As good as a lot of those albums are, the musicianship wasn't there, and there was a lot of trying too hard in them. Most of them bands had better albums than the ones mentioned here. And JP COULD play loud power chords with a lot of distortion, in fact he did it a lot.

No they ain't, not really. As good as a lot of those albums are, the musicianship wasn't there, and there was a lot of trying too hard in them. Most of them bands had better albums than the ones mentioned here. And JP COULD play loud power chords with a lot of distortion, in fact he did it a lot.

lol talking about musicianship as a fan of Led Zeppelin.

That's because people can't make up an opinion for themselves when it comes to music.

'Gee wiz, they're popular that means I like them too'. :rolleyes:

How else does Lil' Wayne have all those fans? Led Zeppelin is the Lil' Wayne of the earlier generations.

You know it is interesting to read peoples take on Led Zeppelin comparing them to other bands...This was a band that critics hated, the band never spoke to the press, and refused to issue singles and yet they were the biggest band in the world selling out their shows in minutes in the early to mid 70's with little to no press or hit singles. To the haters, you may not like them but if you were honest you would admit there was something to them I think.........

Edited by classicrawker

That's because people can't make up an opinion for themselves when it comes to music.

'Gee wiz, they're popular that means I like them too'. :rolleyes:

How else does Lil' Wayne have all those fans? Led Zeppelin is the Lil' Wayne of the earlier generations.

You know it is interesting to read peoples take on Led Zeppelin comparing them to other bands...This was a band that critics hated, the band never spoke to the press, and refused to issue singles and yet they were the biggest band in the world selling out their shows in minutes in the early to mid 70's with little to no press or hit singles. To the haters, you may not like them but if you were honest you would admit there was something to them I think.........

That's the thing, it's not that a lot people liked them. After all a lot of people liked a lot of other bands too, many many artists hit #1 in the 70s with albums and singles.

The bigger question is, why do shitloads people still like them to this day? The 70s was a long time ago, but the music doesn't lie.