Should Axl release epic hard-to-sing songs on CDII?

Cosmo

What do you people think? Should CDII contain epic hard-to-sing songs a la TWAT and COMA but to the point we'll barely see 'em live or do you think he should stick to the songs he can actually pull off live so we get some more new songs on the setlist?

Maye somewhere in the middle, where on a good day he can hit the notes live and on a alright day at least can hit a note that will still sound good. Like IRS, he never hit that one high scream that he did on the album version, but he hits a note that works well and sounds pretty tight

What do you people think? Should CDII contain epic hard-to-sing songs a la TWAT and COMA but to the point we'll barely see 'em live or do you think he should stick to the songs he can actually pull off live so we get some more new songs on the setlist?

there will be no CDII

Okay, man. IF there's ever a CDII... just contribute to the thread.

Maye somewhere in the middle, where on a good day he can hit the notes live and on a alright day at least can hit a note that will still sound good. Like IRS, he never hit that one high scream that he did on the album version, but he hits a note that works well and sounds pretty tight

Thanks for being the only one so far who has actually discussed the topic instead using the opportunity to throw random negative comments about nuGnR.

I think a couple are ok. Especially at the end of each side.

But yes with GNR being such a live band if they can't play them live then they become lost.

Actually I think Axl can sing them. But he can only do so many per show?

I don't know about hard to sing, but I'd just like to hear the epics, songs with layers of orchestration, guitar leads playing off each other and so on that makes "Madagascar" sound like a b-side. By the way, "Madagascar" is one of my favorite songs so that was not a derogatory comment, rather I think "Madagascar" is only the tip of what Axl has been able to achieve musically. Or I hope. If they ever get released. If they've even been completed for that matter.

Edited by ben

I would love a 20 minute epic. Maybe the band don't have the talent to do it but it would be awesome.

Of course they have the talent to do it, but I don't think its an issue of the band members abilities, it is Axl having the final say in all the arrangements. If he's as specific as cut and pasting the performances of two separate people for a guitar solo in one song ("Scraped"), then it doesn't seem like anyone else has a choice..

I'd love a 20 minute epic too. To be honest I'd rather have Axl working on arrangements, orchestration and studio work in general rather than retreading the hits tour over and over.

Edited by ben

Since live performance and studio work are different animals, i see no reason it has to be one or the other. Everyone has to face the possibility that at some point touring will no longer be viable, so there's no reason not to go the same route as The Beatles and record albums that would be virtually impossible to recreate live.

The stupid thing is he sings something like as high as the studio IRS scream every night during Jungle or Heaven's Door. He opened every 2002 show and 2006show with screams like that and did insane screams for Heavens and LALD. Why he has always pussed out of the IRS scream beats me.

It's pretty obvious that the reason Prostitute, Twat and Catcher aren't in the set whilst Sorry, TIL etc are is cuz they're harder to sing. But with Twat and prostitute it's not the high notes that are the problem: he can use his falsetto effortlessly like he does on all the other songs. What's hard is all the verses in that upper-middle range which he struggles on so badly if you listen to almost any Twat or Prostitute or Catcher live. But the truth is he used to struggle on those mid-range notes of Jungle and Sweet Child every night in 2002 when ironically in 2012 Jungle is one of his more consistent performances. I think if he just kept singing Twat etc he'd find his voice for them. But he basically gave up after a few goes and we'll probably never get great live versions of them.

I would love a 20 minute epic. Maybe the band don't have the talent to do it but it would be awesome.

i would second this it would kick ass to hear a 20 minute epic from gnr, maybe do an EP like agalloch did which was just one 23 minutes song