Led Zeppelin is one of the worst rock bands in history.

arnold layne

I never found out why people like Led I mean I like Stairway to Heaven and Black Dog and that's it.

Listen to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, How Many More Times (the Rosie part is insane!), Livin' Lovin' Maid, Out on the Tiles, I could go on forever. Whole Lotta Love (BBC sessions, disc 2 version)....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never found out why people like Led I mean I like Stairway to Heaven and Black Dog and that's it.

Listen to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, How Many More Times (the Rosie part is insane!), Livin' Lovin' Maid, Out on the Tiles, I could go on forever. Whole Lotta Love (BBC sessions, disc 2 version)....

That whole Disc 2 BBC Sessions is magic.

The difference between Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin is that Pink Floyd actually wrote decent music.

Roger's a better lyricist than Plant, and Nick's no Bonham. I couldn't say one's better than the other, because they both created a body of work that holds up well.

I think the Song Remains the Same re-release when the Blu Ray came out was a huge renovation. The originals were pretty murky sounding. How the West Was Won is most peoples' favorite though. The Earls Court shows should be released as their own box set.

Wolfgang's Vault posted the 1969 shows and they're a hell of a find, but they were taken down. The Texas jam festival is really good, too. They should do an official release of "Destroyer" and "Live from Blueberry Hill". The bootleg version of Apr 1 1971 is def. worth having as copy of.

I've been trying to find the copy of when they played Queens NY in 1969 at the Worlds Fair site. I found the bootleg of the Newport Folk Fest which was poorly recorded, but def. a band trying to prove themselves.

I think the Song Remains the Same re-release when the Blu Ray came out was a huge renovation. The originals were pretty murky sounding. How the West Was Won is most peoples' favorite though. The Earls Court shows should be released as their own box set.

Wolfgang's Vault posted the 1969 shows and they're a hell of a find, but they were taken down. The Texas jam festival is really good, too. They should do an official release of "Destroyer" and "Live from Blueberry Hill". The bootleg version of Apr 1 1971 is def. worth having as copy of.

I've been trying to find the copy of when they played Queens NY in 1969 at the Worlds Fair site. I found the bootleg of the Newport Folk Fest which was poorly recorded, but def. a band trying to prove themselves.

Texas Jam is legendary. I like the SBD from The Fillmore 69 as well. And I can't say enough good things about Blueberry Hill.

Another favorite of mine from the latter days is Listen To This Eddie. Listen to Bonham on TSRTS :wow:

Guest Len B'stard

Texas Jam is legendary. I like the SBD from The Fillmore 69 as well. And I can't say enough good things about Blueberry Hill.

Another favorite of mine from the latter days is Listen To This Eddie. Listen to Bonham on TSRTS :wow:

See, THATS what i'm fuckin' talkin' about, THATS fuckin energy and passion and balls and fuckin' really laying into it, THATS why you can't call Zeppelin a shit band. It's worth noting the similarity (although it's a lot more complex) between a section of that and this:

Sounds kind of like a rudimentry re-assessment of how the main thingie to that Zep one sounds. But yeah, fuckin' hell, that was bangin' by Zep, how can you listen to that and seriously try and claim Zep were a shit band, you gotta be out of your fuckin' tree.

Edited by sugaraylen

Lenny, you have to admit they're in the same vein of overratedness. Not neccisarily for the same reasons, but there you go.

Zeppelin has heart and energy, sure. But their energy still bores me for some reason. I think it's just because I can name ten bands off the top of my head that do Zeppelin better than Zeppelin does.

Yeah i could agree with you on that actually although i dunno about bands doing Zeppelin better than Zeppelin, Zeppelin are a band to me that give me the impression that they could really rip it up if they wanted to. I think the best description of my personal position on Zeppelin is that they're a great band of great players that got out the blocks in a genre i really love but then kinda ended up making music that didn't interest me much, i don't like their music but i see how they play it very very well and when they want to do a Lennyish song, like Dazed and Confused or Heartbreaker, fuck me they could knock you on your arse with it. So yeah, thats kinda the difference, Zep to me are a band of good players that ended up making music i didn't care for whereas Floyd are just shit all round so yeah, i guess you're right in your assertion that they are in the same vein of overratedness.

Gotta give Zep their fuckin' dues though man, bands like that don't grow on trees, just a shame they went off into a direction i'm not much interested in, all them accousticey pickey songs about something that you can't quite figure out what the fuck they're about and...i dunno, they just didn't explore the qualities of theirs that, if i was in their position, i'd choose to explore. But then again, they're a huge fuckin' rock band and i'm some opinionated yahoo on an internet forum so, y'know, they're millionaires and i've only got the train fare home, i certainly can't fault em for their choices :lol:

But generally speaking, yeah i agree with you.

I feel like Floyd became a bigger band in the 90s, maybe the feud had something to do with it, or just bringing Dark Side of the Moon out for the Division Bell tour did it. They wound up getting "hipster" cred with the Syd cult, which included Michael Stipe, David Bowie and Flaming Lips.q No one really gave a shit about Syd Barrett except as this poster child of "what happens when you do too much acid, kiddies". Catalyst, yes. The reason why a 21 year old lost his fucking mind? No.

I wound up getting into Roy Harper because of Gilmour and Page being really into the guy, and wanted to know WTF Sandy Denny was when I saw her name on "Battle of Evermore", for some reason I thought Plant was singing (Bonham sang the high parts live).

I think for the time, the acoustic stuff was just making it known to the fans they weren't going to be a "balls to the wall" hard rock outfit. But I don't think acoustic songs translate well in arenas and stadiums. Have to tour theaters to do the songs justice. To me the first DVD of Led Zep really captures them well, esp. the bonus in black and white. You have to go "how does that compare to Cream?" at the time.

Most guitarists didn't think much of Jimmy Page, and it's really The Yardbirds where he learned how to be a showman. He wasn't dead on and precise like Clapton, or fast as fuck like Beck, but if you see clips of Page as the lead guitarist, he's starting to dress up more, doing the violin bow thing, and because they were a past their prime band, gave him some time to develop stage presence. That's why Led Zep was ready for prime time from the first day they played in front of an audience. Jones gets overshadowed by the other 3, but he brought a LOT to that band. Page got the credit, but Jones was also behind the console a lot, contributing ideas for songs. Plant did most of the lyric writing, and even though he isn't a great lyricist, it served the songs well at the time. Roger Waters is a better lyricist, without a doubt. I doubt he'd write a "Ramble On" or a "Stairway to Heaven". Rick wrote some hippie stuff though, so did Dave.

But to call them worst rock band ever is kind of ridiculous. Played out, definitely, even the guys in Led Zep wish radio would have banned Stairway. Plant struggles when he's done the song a handful of times, doesn't want to do the song, it's not even in his top 10 favorite songs with that band, prob. even lower when it comes to his entire body of work. He's proud of it though. To me, Led Zep is bookended by Dazed and Confused, and Achilles Last Stand. And even if Bonzo were still around, Page and Plant would've been done working with each other in the 80s, esp. when Page was criticizing "All My Love" as a Bic lighter anthem. Plant was ready to move on, and you can hear it in In Through the Out Door. They prob. should've broken up after the Presence tour instead of hanging in ABBA's studio where vodka was a' plenty. Fuck, even ABBA was calling it a day around that time.

And even if Bonzo were still around, Page and Plant would've been done working with each other in the 80s, esp. when Page was criticizing "All My Love" as a Bic lighter anthem. Plant was ready to move on, and you can hear it in In Through the Out Door. They prob. should've broken up after the Presence tour instead of hanging in ABBA's studio where vodka was a' plenty. Fuck, even ABBA was calling it a day around that time.

would've missed out on Carouselambra and Fool In The Rain though, that just wouldn't have been right.

Why is this thread still happening? Are we seriously debating the idea that Led Zeppelin is one of the worst rock bands ever? And now Pink Floyd too? Really? Wtf people?

One of the most idiotic statements in forum history.......you gotta love it when 15 year old kids have the whole world figured out. Sometimes he tries way to hard to show is how edgy he is!

Your post is the first thing I thought to myself when i read the topic title.

and it's up to the individual to come around proclaiming outlandish statements, that he knows will rattle everyone who knows said statement to be false.

Who KNOWS said statement to be false? :rolleyes:

What are you now, some musical historian, some kind of musical expert who has the credentials to say such things? Piss off. You don't know, you think.

Don't be a pretentious ass.

Newsflash. Not everyone has the same music tastes as you. That's what makes us individuals.

But that isn't what you said.

You said they are one of the worst bands in history. That is different than saying you don't like them.

I could not care less if you like or dislike any band. But to say that Led Zepplin is one of the worst bands in history is just ignorant on your part, and really makes anything else you say about music irrelevant.

I don't like U2 or Nirvana, but I understand their place and importance in music history.

What is next for you.....1927 yankees sucked?

Newsflash. Not everyone has the same music tastes as you. That's what makes us individuals.

But that isn't what you said.

You said they are one of the worst bands in history. That is different than saying you don't like them.

I could not care less if you like or dislike any band. But to say that Led Zepplin is one of the worst bands in history is just ignorant on your part, and really makes anything else you say about music irrelevant.

I don't like U2 or Nirvana, but I understand their place and importance in music history.

What is next for you.....1927 yankees sucked?

Do I have to write 'just my opinion' after everything I say?

And no. I won't be making any threads about baseball because I don't really like the sport all too much, just my opinion.