Do you smoke the marijuana?

arnold layne

Question for pot smokers:

I smoked a joint a few years back...First time ever and I haven't done it since. It was Kush, as far as I'm told. Dunno what Kush is but I'm 99% sure that's what I was told it was.

First off, I suffer from anxiety and also a heart condition wherein my heart beats fast. Like, even if I'm sitting down doing nothing at all, I can get a really rapid or rapid irregular heart beat. It's not a major condition in and of itself but I take medication for it--Medication that prevents those fast heart beats and also lowers blood pressure. I also take Xanax for anxiety--back when I smoked weed I wasn't on any sort of anti-anxiety drug.

So anyway, I smoked Kush, a few puffs or whatever...First five minutes was fine but then I began to feel sick and got an incredibly rapid heart beat, along with anxiety and a feeling of fear that I was gonna die. The rapid heart beat lasted around an hour even after I calmed down. Now, could this have happened simply because it was my first time? I'm wondering cause I'd like to try again but don't wanna die in the process.

Edited by Indigo Miser

I smoked a joint a few years back...First time ever and I haven't done it since. It was Kush, as far as I'm told. Dunno what Kush is but I'm 99% sure that's what I was told it was.

First off, I suffer from anxiety and also a heart condition wherein my heart beats fast. Like, even if I'm sitting down doing nothing at all, I can get a really rapid or rapid irregular heart beat. It's not a major condition in and of itself but I take medication for it--Medication that prevents those fast heart beats and also lowers blood pressure. I also take Xanax for anxiety--back when I smoked weed I wasn't on any sort of anti-anxiety drug.

So anyway, I smoked Kush, a few puffs or whatever...First five minutes was fine but then I began to feel sick and got an incredibly rapid heart beat, along with anxiety and a feeling of fear that I was gonna die. The rapid heart beat lasted around an hour even after I calmed down. Now, could this have happened simply because it was my first time? I'm wondering cause I'd like to try again but don't wanna die in the process.

People with anxiety problems don't usually have the best time with pot. One time during finals I had a couple of papers coming up, just coming off some adderal and I was fighting with my girlfriend. So I was irritable to say the least. Decided to roast a bowl to calm down. About 5 minutes into it my heart started thrashing. Worse than any stimulant I'd taken. I think part of it was actual heart rate and part of it was perception. Lucky I knew to just batten down the hatches and realize with my last bit of compartmentalized logic that I wasn't going to die but the next 45 minutes was going to suck.

People with anxiety problems don't usually have the best time with pot. One time during finals I had a couple of papers coming up, just coming off some adderal and I was fighting with my girlfriend. So I was irritable to say the least. Decided to roast a bowl to calm down. About 5 minutes into it my heart started thrashing. Worse than any stimulant I'd taken. I think part of it was actual heart rate and part of it was perception. Lucky I knew to just batten down the hatches and realize with my last bit of compartmentalized logic that I wasn't going to die but the next 45 minutes was going to suck.

Well do you think now that I take Xanax my experience might be better, or do you think it might do harm? At the time, I wasn't even truly aware that I had any panic disorder and wasn't under ANY treatment for anxiety, no medication, no nothing. I mean the Xanax has gotten to the point that it just barely works and just takes the edge off so I can function, but maybe it'd help to prevent any major spike in heart rate? Or, perhaps, if I took a Xanax just before smoking a joint, or while the heart rate goes up, it could help? I'm not worried so much about a harmless fast heart rate, more along the lines of suddenly going into Ventricular Fibrillation and suddenly going into cardiac arrest from an arrithmyia or having a stroke from the heightened blood pressure, especially considering I have high cholesterol and triglycerides.

Like, if I got some pretty firm word that it's very unlikely that any of those bad things would happen, I might do it.

I wouldn't say I have an anxiety "disorder" or "condition" or anything but I would get mini panic attacks and sudden anxiety bursts for no reason for a lot of middle/high school. I don't get them anymore and I smoke a ton. Definitely never felt the symptoms you describe, either. Only reasons I would think of for that happening is if somebody laced it with something which is quite doubtful, or the image you had in your head of what pot "does" to people sort of kicked in and, combined with your pre-existent anxiety issues and the actual effect of the THC, you had a panic attack :shrugs:

Well do you think now that I take Xanax my experience might be better, or do you think it might do harm? At the time, I wasn't even truly aware that I had any panic disorder and wasn't under ANY treatment for anxiety, no medication, no nothing. I mean the Xanax has gotten to the point that it just barely works and just takes the edge off so I can function, but maybe it'd help to prevent any major spike in heart rate? Or, perhaps, if I took a Xanax just before smoking a joint, or while the heart rate goes up, it could help? I'm not worried so much about a harmless fast heart rate, more along the lines of suddenly going into Ventricular Fibrillation and suddenly going into cardiac arrest from an arrithmyia or having a stroke from the heightened blood pressure, especially considering I have high cholesterol and triglycerides.

Like, if I got some pretty firm word that it's very unlikely that any of those bad things would happen, I might do it.

Pot-Xanax is the best synergy of any combo that I can think of, and it's because it made me absolutely relaxed. I'm not a medical professional so I'm not going to say it will relax your heartbeat but it will. You'll be crushing satline crackers into a peanut butter containers, mixing it with honey and eating it by the handful while you're on your ass watching the antique roadshow on PBS for hours on end.

I say that because that's happened.

Edited by AbominableHoman

I think miser has a big enough tolerance for the Xanex by now though that if he just takes a normal does and takes a rip he should be fine. Some people just don't like weed though. I would think a lot of you aversion to it would be because it was your first time, anxiety is mostly mental, so if you know to calm yourself down you should be able to take a rip. Starting on kush you probably just got a little too high.

Tachycardia (rapid/accelerated heart rate) is very common when smoking weed. It's because the heart's having to work harder to pump oxygenated blood around the body when you're inhaling lungsfull of smoke to compete with your air intake. To deal with it simply take slow deep breaths and your heart rate will eventually slow. Weed lowers your blood sugar so eating/drinking something also helps.

Even if it doesn't slow right away, Tachycardia won't kill you so no need to worry.

Edited by Nobodys_Fault

From time to time. I don't actively trying to find dealers or keep any contact with them. I use middlemen and when those middlemen offer me some cannabis i'll buy some. or when a joint is being passed around i'll join in. I've smoked the last 4 nights (thursday-sunday) in a row but sometimes it goes months. no biggie.

I have been diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder.

Smoking weed makes me have panic attacks usually, however occasionally it is one of the best drugs I've ever taken.

I have had some wonderful experiences while high, and also horrible ones.

I rarely smoke anymore, I usually stick with booze.

I can see that, but it hasn't happend with the two dealers I had. They pretty much just wanted to sell their product and have me on my way. I mean one of them was pretty cool and I consider him actually my friend because we'd party and do stuff together once in awhile, but the other one is just burnt out and won't have a conversation with you unless it relates to drugs. That's all his life revolves around now.