When I think of America...

AbominableHoman

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Yeah, Nascar is great, isn't it? Who wouldn't love to see cars drive around in circles for several hours? :tongue2:

Yep, that's what ignorant retards say about it.

In contrast to what the rednecks that like it says, right?

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Yeah, Nascar is great, isn't it? Who wouldn't love to see cars drive around in circles for several hours? :tongue2:

Yep, that's what ignorant retards say about it.

Maybe you need to see what real racing demands of a driver.

Juan Pablo Montoya went from F1 to Nascar and claims Nascar is much more difficult. All the cars are the same so so getting in front and overtaking 40 odd cars in a tight space is no easy feat. So there must be some level of skill required.

I don't see the spectator appeal though. Same for all motor sports. I just don't get it.

My company does the recycling at Michigan International Speedway and they make one of us stay there for the whole race weekend pretty much just so they say we have somebody there 24 hours if needed. I was that guy, and going into it I can tell you I didn't give a shit about NASCAR at all. I needed credentials that got me anywhere in the whole track area, including the pit and where all the drivers park their million dollar motor homes n shit, if I was a NASCAR fan I'd probably think it was the coolest thing in the world but to me it was just work.

Anyway, if you doubt NASCAR race teams require any skill at all and you think it's just one guy driving a car in circles you're missing a major factor; the pit crew. These guys are built like fucking linebackers, and to see them at work is a spectacle in its own. I still think NASCAR is boring and I could never sit through a whole race but I have a new appreciation for it after getting to see it up close, it's definitely not just rednecks driving in circles.

Juan Pablo Montoya went from F1 to Nascar and claims Nascar is much more difficult. All the cars are the same so so getting in front and overtaking 40 odd cars in a tight space is no easy feat. So there must be some level of skill required.

I don't see the spectator appeal though. Same for all motor sports. I just don't get it.

There is bigtime skill required to drive in NASCAR, most if not all of the people here would shit their pants if they had to drive in a NASCAR race. It's also dangerous as hell, probably the only wildly popular sport where you can die during competition.

I agree it's boring to watch on tv or listen to on the radio, but when you are at the track for a race you get a deep appreciation for the thrill of 40 or so cars flying by you at speeds in excess of 200 MPH. And yes there is a big percentage of fans that go for the crashes, just like a big percentage of hockey fans go for the fights.

Not a fan of NASCAR whatsoever, but it has it's niche. Much like hotdog and pie eating contests do too. The "sport of competitive eating". I think forum posters should be considered athletes too. What we do requires a certain amount of skill, discipline, determination, competitiveness, and a desire to win. :thumbsup:

My company does the recycling at Michigan International Speedway and they make one of us stay there for the whole race weekend pretty much just so they say we have somebody there 24 hours if needed. I was that guy, and going into it I can tell you I didn't give a shit about NASCAR at all. I needed credentials that got me anywhere in the whole track area, including the pit and where all the drivers park their million dollar motor homes n shit, if I was a NASCAR fan I'd probably think it was the coolest thing in the world but to me it was just work.

Anyway, if you doubt NASCAR race teams require any skill at all and you think it's just one guy driving a car in circles you're missing a major factor; the pit crew. These guys are built like fucking linebackers, and to see them at work is a spectacle in its own. I still think NASCAR is boring and I could never sit through a whole race but I have a new appreciation for it after getting to see it up close, it's definitely not just rednecks driving in circles.

Fair assessment.

It's a team sport. The pit crews have to be surgical and very precise in their actions, the crew chiefs all play an intricate chess match against 42 other men with pit strategy and match-ups on the track, and the driver has to maintain absolute focus for hours on end inside a ~130 degree car at 200mph. Drafting, bump-drafting, tire and fuel strategy, and finding the most efficient line (there are 2, sometimes 3, different way around any given track).

And for the other side of the coin, the only NASCAR race I've been to was in Sonoma, Californa for the road course race. Boring as fuck. Maybe it's a little more entertaining on T.V. but anywhere you sat you literally only saw a small portion of the track. And there's only one driveable line on the track. Sure you can gamble on how you hit the apex of the corner but a majority of it is waiting for the guy in front of you to make a mistake. As a race and a spectator that is down right boring.