Would Kurt Cobain be as famous and loved if he didn't "Kill Himself"

Haters Gonna Hate

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely not. His popularity was already waning when that bullet hit his head.

But his respect wasn't.

I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with anything.

"Death" didn't make him a one of the best guitar players and songwriters in rock history.

Why would death make him something that he never was?

Definitely not. His popularity was already waning when that bullet hit his head.

But his respect wasn't.

I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with anything.

"Death" didn't make him a one of the best guitar players and songwriters in rock history.

Why not? Death made people respect MJ again, treat Amy Winehouse like she was the biggest promise to music since, well, Kurt... It always makes people forget the bad stuff and focus on the celebrity's qualities. I wonder what would be of Bono if he died... dude would be a semi-God or something.

Voted YES.

BUT - i think that he would be no way as musically relevant if he was still around. IMO he'd have gone off on a tangent (nirvana had runs its course really, an album more tops), and slowly burnt out. Can't see any evidence to suggest he'd have pushed his songs further. He'd still be famous as fuck though, as what he did with Nirvana was brilliant and had perfect timing and there is no denying his influence. But musically, I think he would have faded away.

However, i think right now if he were around, he'd be digging some bands and would have enjoyed the likes of Jack White's attitude to music and some of the indie artists of this nature.

In fact, offtopic, but Izzy should totally hit up Jack White and get him to produce a couple songs on Jacks 'blue record' (or whatever it's called - where an artist drops by and they fire out a number or two together),...Izzy is old school and classy, whilst Jack would keep in there and push out a fast rough but well placed & produced track that would be outstanding in my opinion.

Guest Len B'stard

What is it about his fame now that makes people think it weren't that big back in the day? Seriously, what aspect of his popularity now brings people to the point of like, considering him inordinately more famous than he was then?

Also, to all the 'no' voters, how old are you that you can even judge where he was at in the 90s? I know, i was there, they were fucking huge. I'm talking about all sorts of fuckin' magazine covers, t shirts, down in London the poster sellers had posters of him, his albums were stuffed in every record store imaginable, he was on MTV all the fucking time, Nirvana T shirts were fucking everywhere and more important than ALL of this and the one thing that really gave him the sort of plaudits and fame was that he was fuckin' lauded and rated by his peers. Fuckin' MTV specials and unauthorised biographies and all of that.

But it's a simple question, what about his fame now makes you think it's like, more than what it was when he was alive? The CNN Headlines of his dying, the candle vigils and weepy fuckin' teenagers on TV, the suicide support groups for kids, the copycat suicides, these things didn't all just suddenly appear as a result of his dying on the day of his death, an alien reaction from people straight from the record store with their first copies of Nevermind, that volume of people were into his shit and fans and he commanded that kind of popularity and attention and response.

I mean, checking out the newsreels and stuff, i've not seen that kind of weepy hold hands we'll get through this response to any artists death other than John Lennon and Elvis.

To me, Kurt Cobain was the fuckin' man, he was the be all and end all, i'll love that boy for the rest of my fuckin' life, God bless him, the guy stood up and had the fuckin' nuts to be different, he always spoke up for and took on causes of people getting a fucking shitty hand, whether that be the gay community or women or, y'know, whatever, thats a fuckin' beautiful thing, he stuck his neck out, he shook things up, it's a shame so few of the people who got into his shit really clocked what the whole thing was about.

Really makes me sick that the guys dead, he didn't have to go out that way, he was like...whether he liked it or not he represented something REALLY important, it's a pity he didn't think it was important enough.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

He'd be like Eddie Vedder.

A little more since Nirvana was the main grunge band and Pearl Jam was the better, less praised one.

Please, don't make me sick, Pearl Jam ain't fit to carry Kurts picks.