Why does the public like Sorry?

Jakey Styley

Not a big fan of Sorry. One of my least favorites from CD. Probably my 2nd least after Riad. And I don't think it's a good live song. If anything, it's a mood breaker. I think Axl only plays it 'cause it's easy to sing.

That's funny because at the 2011 Detroit song it was the song he was worst on. Not that it was bad though.

Overall, I agree that's probably why it stays in the set though. Wish ITW would have stayed in the set permanently but it is much more demanding on the voice.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of my friends who watched the Rock in Rio stream (lol) fell in love with Sorry. I've seen people on this forum say that their friends enjoy Sorry a lot too. I think it's interesting that it's considered one of the worst CD songs by us fans but others enjoy it.

Have you noticed the same thing? What is it about the song that's appealing to others?

When I first bought Chinese Democracy, the two songs I liked the most by far were Sorry and IRS. Was there some kind of poll or something, I don't recall an unusually large number of people saying they didn't like the song. Most of the people who don't like it probably don't like slow ballads.

What's most appealing about the song? The lyrics, obviously.

A couple of my friends who watched the Rock in Rio stream (lol) fell in love with Sorry. I've seen people on this forum say that their friends enjoy Sorry a lot too. I think it's interesting that it's considered one of the worst CD songs by us fans but others enjoy it.

Have you noticed the same thing? What is it about the song that's appealing to others?

It's actually one of very few songs that work on the album.

the music complements the lyrics and the bitterness comes through. it's spot on.

Dont know anyone other than myself and ppl on this forum who have properly heard CD. Most ppl moved on. Then when CD came out, I know of one household that bought it........and it became a coaster oddly with about one or two spins.

Generally ppl don't care (from my experience). Certainly not enough to comment on individual songs like Sorry.

Sadly if Axl teamed up with Slash and delivered a mediocre song (for arguments sake), these same folk I mention (and imo the general public) would then be interested and say the song was awesome.

OP should be pleased he/she has buddies that accept and can even listen to some of CD tbh.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG!!!! I never get sick of it and when I first heard it my heart kind of broke for Axl and the way everything turned out. I think the line: "Its harder to live with the truth about you, than to live with the lies about me" is magic. But my favourite bit is "Just shut up and sing........." and the way his voice drops off after - its like jumping off a cliff into the abyss. Love it.

Not a big fan of Sorry. One of my least favorites from CD. Probably my 2nd least after Riad. And I don't think it's a good live song. If anything, it's a mood breaker. I think Axl only plays it 'cause it's easy to sing.

That's funny because at the 2011 Detroit song it was the song he was worst on. Not that it was bad though.

Overall, I agree that's probably why it stays in the set though. Wish ITW would have stayed in the set permanently but it is much more demanding on the voice.

He uses his talking voice for most of the song. The pre-chorus is probably the only section that needs effort. It's a good song, IMO... but not in par with 12 other songs in CD, IMO.

I liked the preformance of it at rock in rio, but otherwise I hate the song most of the time. It's Kind of boring in my opinion.

I'm not fond of the song. Live it sounds boring. On the album it sounds better. It starts off ok, then drags on for too long. The 'I Don't Want to Do It' line stands out line no other, nice mixing..

Edited by vaida

The public likes it?

Lot of people sing along with the chorus at shows. They like it. There are others who think its a mood breaker after the triple AfD beginning but I know a lot of people around me at the show I went to got into it.

I've heard people say flat out it's the most like the old material. And if you actually listen to the music, the solo especially, it's not hard to imagine that if Slash and stuck with Guns he'd be playing it just like that.

It's got the attitude and the venom of 90's "I don't give a fuck" Axl. It's ironically the heaviest track overall on the album. I think, to top it off, maybe people (on here, at least) like it because Axl sounds most like his 2006-2010 self on it. With tracks like IRS and Catcher you had vocals that were a decade old, and you knew it. With Sorry, maybe it's just because it didn't leak, but it sounds more like his 06-07 voice (opposed to say, Better, which is from 2004 I believe).

Not sure it was ever confirmed, but I'm sure (musically) the song dates back to 1999.

Outstanding song and without doubt, the most listened to song on the album for me.

Great live and Axl's expression on those lyrics live just is amazing!!!:devilshades: love it.

Agreed Subsy!!

The dark lyrics and the Floyd-esque melody is powerful and remains one of my favorites :thumbsup:

I don't know about anyone else but I think the lines "Truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree? It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me." are probably some of Axl's finest if not THE finest of his whole career. Easily the highlight of the entire album lyrically imo.