The Outdoors Thread

DirtyDeeds

I love being out in the wilderness, away from any civilization. I particular like backcountry backpacking and camping. I like to do some freshwater fishing occasionally, too. I've never hunted, and I don't think I could because I have too weak of a stomach/I'm too much of a pansy to field dress (cut open and start gutting) my kill. However, hunters can be cool. I especially like the idea of bow hunting. It would be great to do some whitewater kayaking, too. I'd like to do that someday.

What do you guys like to do? How often do you do it? Where are your favorite places to go?

Becket, I will be very disappointed if you don't post in this thread :max:

Edited by DirtyDeeds

I especially like Table Rock in North Carolina. If you've ever seen the movie version of The Last of the Mohicans, it was filmed all over that area. I can watch that movie and I know exactly what rock they're sitting on, what stream they are crossing, etc. It's probably my favorite place in the world. I love that that movie exists, because when I watch it, I feel like I'm home. I wish I lived close to that area.

Table%20Rock%20NC%20410x270.jpg

4020603875_88681a75c6_o.jpg

Funny that this thread was started today.

Today I bought a whole new fishing equipment. I haven't gone fishing in over 4 years, so today after a weekend where I really wanted to go fishing, I went fishing with my girlfriend. We got two bites but ended up empty handed when the fishes just after leaving the water decided that life in the free was better then life on my frying pan. It was really fun and if the weather holds, Will go out again tomorrow for more fishing fun.

My dad was a outdoor guy. Still is, so much of my childhood was outside hiking and bonfires. It seems like a simple thing when your a child, but it is really something you get to enjoy that you experienced when your grown up.

Becket, I will be very disappointed if you don't post in this thread :max:

:rofl-lol:

Basically I'm like you, don't hunt either but not because of a weak stomach, but because I love animals.

My favorite camping trip was biking 100 kilometers to the sleeping giant, the giant is just across the bay here at the end of a peninsula and it does look like a sleeping giant. Lots of areas to hike out there and climb to the top. Just amazing out there. I camped right behind it, and was the only one out there for 20 kilometers. Stayed there for 4 days.

I moved to southern Ont. for 2 years but moved back here because it's so remote. No where to camp like this near Kitchener.

Here's a link to my FB album of the Giant camping trip

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.40133887472.40174.555782472&type=3&l=18512782fa

Edited by Becket

I'm half thinking of taking off for a week on the AT (Appalachian Trail) to get my fix for a little while and lose a few pounds. It's sooooo fucking hot, though, right now. I also don't want to cut my hair yet (I will before I do the whole trail) and don't need to get bitten by any ticks. Might just wait til fall but I've got the itch right now.

Going canoeing and kayaking next week on Kasshabog Lake, Ontario. My favourite time is canoeing early in the morning, glass lake. Then later in the day when the lake gets a bit rougher we go out kayaking.

I love hiking at Rattlesnake Point and the Niagara escarpment. I still haven't hiked in Algonquin Park, though it's on my list.

Hate camping though. No room service or plushy sheets.

love fishing, and love the wilderness, i cant hunt because i like animals too much :tongue2:

fishing has been tough this year since the water has been crazy low, i have caught a few rainbows, brown trout, and some large mouth bass.

still havent caught any horned pout which pisses me off since they are usually the easiest fish to catch :max:

here is some pics where i usually go

PHOTO_15608950_63455_26766130_ap.jpg

slide1.jpg

Edited by bran

I do a lot of birding. I have an extreme fascination with birds so at least one day out of the year I travel somewhere to try and check off birds from my list.

Costa Rica was definitely the most fascinating experience.

This year I'm going to try and spot a Golden Eagle :thumbsup: