What was U2's best decade?

arnold layne

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, not as if The Edge didn't nick Keith Levenes guitar sound of the late 70s and is still making a living off of it when Keith has moved on 20 times over.

Prob. the 80s because they started off the decade becoming famous in Ireland, and by the end of the decade were world famous.

I think they had so much stacked against them from the beginning, that the fact they made it where they were says a lot about their work ethic. OK, so they took from here and there, and every U2 fan should get schooled by PiL, as well as their influences. They namedropped enough artists to make otherwise obscure artists go Gold. Bono's never denied they've stolen from others, and I'm sure Joy Division and PiL have been mentioned in interviews. He's a thief, but an honest thief.

They didn't get into hard drugs, they were disgusted by them. It was around them, same as it was w/Duff in Seattle. They were surrounded by no hope, no future, and a lot of despondency. Hewson & Evans were poor as poor gets. They had a no groupies policy, even though I'm sure things happened on the road, just not to the point where it made it in the gossip mags. They might have been a little holier than thou and incorporating Christianity into the music, but they managed to bypass being a "Christian Rock" band. Now, most Christian rock bands have all sorts of sounds and styles, but when it gets to the lyrics... turns some people off.

Eno def. played a big part in U2's development. You could say what he did for Roxy Music, he had also done for U2. Yes, Edge is a mediocre guitarist without the effects, he'd be the first to say he was, but he treats the guitar as a synthesizer, with an occasional rock solo here and there. And Lou Reed is along the same lines, kind of a clunky guitar player himself, but he likes playing with the feedback, and even back in the Velvets, was trying to push the envelope in what you can do with the sound of a guitar. He was an instant fan of Hendrix.

The 2000s, is def. not the best decade. They went with what works.

The 80s. Duh. The 90s only had Achtung and that Batman song. 2000s are just boring albeit with the awesome tours. I think they're done now imo as a current band. Definitely in that realm of the Stones/ACDC of slower output, big tours, playing older material. No one cared about their last album.

Guest Len B'stard
I think they had so much stacked against them from the beginning, that the fact they made it where they were says a lot about their work ethic. OK, so they took from here and there, and every U2 fan should get schooled by PiL, as well as their influences. They namedropped enough artists to make otherwise obscure artists go Gold. Bono's never denied they've stolen from others, and I'm sure Joy Division and PiL have been mentioned in interviews. He's a thief, but an honest thief.

Orrrr, just listen to the definitive article and not the limp pop dross that stole from it :shrugs: