New Bumblefoot Interview: "Frank and Tommy and I plan to get together and start writing some new music"

Tyler Drama

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news. Hopefully Axl will have some interest in what they come up with. And the next album is not done, that album was written and recorded with a different band. It's time for Axl to make new music with DJ/Bumble.

I think it's just a matter of convenience w/ Tommy, Ron & Frank being in the metro New York area. If Axl's in the area, would prob. get involved. Sebastian's in NJ, so if he's not touring, and Axl called him up, would prob. hang and contribute backing vocals. That might be the best way for him to get involved in the sessions, be away from home and work on songs with them, and just send them around to the other guys in the band. It could also mean stuff for their own projects. It's getting the ball rolling as much as possible for the time being.

I don't think Axl's going to push all his songs on the band for them to do. He seems to bring them out gradually and try to get a read on what they think about it. Some things are prob. going to stay unreleased because they're not that good and more "experiments" than anything else. That whole "too advanced for the GNR fans" was silly to me, when a fair amount of the audience listens to far heavier and faster stuff.

It would be good if they get back to how the AFD lineup did things, as far as how they developed songs. That's why I'd like to see Izzy and Duff take part in it for a couple of weeks, and just see what happens from it, if anything. Izzy seems to want to still be a part of it, and he knows Axl really well. If it falls apart, there's the door, he can always just go. I'm not thinking of it from a reunion aspect at all, just the elements of Axl, Duff, Izzy (and Tobias & Finck) working on songs that might be stuff they never got around to doing, or had intended to do with Guns, or just something completely new that has the vibe of Appetite, but processing it through the current lineup, so it's not just "Axl and his hired posse". It legitimizes the GNR name by bringing some of that back. There's bands that have former members contributing in the studio that don't go tour with them, this would be no different.

I think the sessions would go fast, and if some of the old gang contributed one or two songs to it, people would be excited by it. They all guest appear on each others stuff anyway, this is no different. Izzy and Duff walked from GNR, this is guest appearance status, studio work. You can't call it a "reunion", even though some people would.

Edited by dalsh327

They should use Richard for songwriting too. His new solo spot is what I'd like to see Axl working on.

I agree. Richard's solo is awesome. But remember, the whole band helped write that solo spot. Though I'm sure Richard is the one who composed the lead guitar part. I think the Ron, Tommy, and Frank partnership would be great. And I doubt it would be an exclusive group. They probably just planned it out and I'm sure others would join. Tommy, Richard, and Dizzy had a short partnership for Tommy's One Man Mutiny, so I feel like most of the band members have great writing chemistry with each other. And I also wanna hear the industrial sound again, similar to the sound in OMG. That definitely comes from Axl and Chris. I have a really good feeling about the songs the current line-up end up writing and releasing. And it'd definitely be cool to see some Izzy and Duff writing credits. Perhaps even an appearance or two on a future album.

remember when bands wrote music together because they were friends who hung out and jammed?

My thoughts precisely! This says a lot for how warped the whole situation is becoming. Maybe they should try the old fashioned way of making music, last time they did it that way (AFD) they did kind of achieve something.

Do people really have to turn a thread about some guys in GnR getting together to write new music for GnR into something negative? Jesus Christ :lol:

I think Ron can do some great things for GnR as a writer given the opportunity. Some people dislike his solo work, and it's certainly quirky and not going to be to everyone's taste, but he's certainly showcased some things that to me indicate he can write songs that would be entirely fitting in the GnR context. For starters he has a natural sense of melody in his songwriting; that's something that can't really be taught, you either have it or you don't, and he does. I have little doubt he could veer a different direction than he goes in a lot of his solo work while retaining this trait. And contrary to what some people on here claim, he is fully capable of playing "epic" and melodic solos. See below for example (solo starts at 1:38). Very Brian May-esque, but very much Ron's own style as well