Do people only like Nirvana because they're "edgy" and "dark"?

Vincent Vega

Do people only like Nirvana because their music is perceived to be "dark", thus seeming to be "realistic", "gritty" or "angsty"? Basically, do people especially (especially teenagers and those in their early-mid 20s) like Nirvana because Nirvana is sort of angsty teenage depression music? Do people like Kurt Cobain in 2012 because of who he was, or simply the image the media created of him as an "anti-star"?

You should listen to Nevermind Miser.

If you like the album let me know, I can help you find more to listen to.

Nevermind is such a conformist, slick, polished commercial record. The only good thing about it is Dave Grohl's drums. Kurt was a conformist trying to be prance around as being a non-conformist. But to like Nirvana is to give into cold corporate conformity and the fake Grunge movement which was created by Baby Boomer market men and advertisers who, in mid life, were hoping to relive the 60s by creating a "movement" of the youth, and in this LSD age, we just can't have that man. We can't buy into false rebellion. A real rebel and non-conformist doesn't sign with the biggest record label on the planet and play at every award show imaginable and make videos for MTV. We gotta non-conform man.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Nevermind is such a conformist, slick, polished commercial record. The only good thing about it is Dave Grohl's drums. Kurt was a conformist trying to be prance around as being a non-conformist. But to like Nirvana is to give into cold corporate conformity, and in this LSD age, we just can't have that man.

What.

Nevermind is such a conformist, slick, polished commercial record. The only good thing about it is Dave Grohl's drums. Kurt was a conformist trying to be prance around as being a non-conformist. But to like Nirvana is to give into cold corporate conformity and the fake Grunge movement which was created by Baby Boomer market men and advertisers who, in mid life, were hoping to relive the 60s by creating a "movement" of the youth, and in this LSD age, we just can't have that man. We can't buy into false rebellion. A real rebel and non-conformist doesn't sign with the biggest record label on the planet and play at every award show imaginable and make videos for MTV. We gotta non-conform man.

Nirvana sounds good to me. I like music that sounds good. Therefore i like Nirvana :shrugs:

And maybe from the big suit side of things grunge was kind of like that, but not when the Seattle bands were playing in Seattle with a huge following of music fans. Grunge isn't anything - it is a marketability term. But there was a great sting of Seattle bands with a close knit community that was pure magic and transcended the business decisions made by the men in suits. Check out the book "Everybody Loves Our Town" - it is a fantastic book that really highlights what the Seattle music scene was like highlighting the key guys, and let me tell you that combined with the Pearl Jam documentary makes it sound like Seattle was a great place to be a part of a music scene back then

Edited by WhazUp

dark albums

woods of ypres: woods 5: grey skies and electric light

agalloch: marrow of the spirit

iron maiden: the x factor

alice in chains: dirt

katatonia: dance of december souls

insomnium: since the day it all came down

nirvanas music was pop music for the me generation nothing dark about any of it

But the difference is hardly anyone likes doom metal.

Speak for yourself. it's one of my favorite Metal sub-genres: low and slow, doesn't get much better than this.

BTW, we're talking about being a dark band, not a popular one.

yup same here nothing tops doom for being dark slow, heavy and really sad stuff

as a side not the biggest doom metal band of all time outsold nirvana world wide by 4x over

Edited by bran

One of the lamest things people do is over analyze everything. Movies, music, art.

People put their own opinions and spin onto what artists do.

Maybe Cobain just liked making grunge music, and the label/videos allowed him the ability to make enough money to do the things he wanted in life.

Things usually are that simple. It is fans that over analyze and over dramatize everything and musician's true intentions.

Why do you like Nirvana Miser? Pretty sure I've seen you admit to enjoying them at some point or another on this site...

I like them because the songs are ambiguous and they just sound so right, even if I don't really understand what the hell Kurt is talking about 50% of the time its like there's no other way the parts could be arranged. Each album has it's own unique feel and sound, the progression between the releases is unmistakable. I wouldn't even say they were that dark, the sound was sloppy and gritty but like somebody already said there were way darker bands from the whole Seattle movement than Nirvana.

I get that you hate Cobain, I think the guy was a massive douche too, but I wouldn't discredit their music because for it's time it was extremely original and to this day still sounds pretty fucking tight.

The whole "HURR DURR NIRVANA KILLED ROCK" thing is such bullshit, Nirvana was a rock band and they were trying something new which ended up being very culturally relevant, if you love rock so much why ignore that?

I disagree. If the title starts with 'Do people only like...' we are talking about popularity.

To answer the question though, people like Nirvana because they are a good band. That's it.

in which i replied the biggest doom band has outsold nirvana 4x over again worldwide

I disagree. If the title starts with 'Do people only like...' we are talking about popularity.

To answer the question though, people like Nirvana because they are a good band. That's it.

in which i replied the biggest doom band has outsold nirvana 4x over again worldwide

:bitchfight:

:bitchfight:

you said you wanted to talk about popularity

One of the lamest things people do is over analyze everything. Movies, music, art.

People put their own opinions and spin onto what artists do.

Maybe Cobain just liked making grunge music, and the label/videos allowed him the ability to make enough money to do the things he wanted in life.

Things usually are that simple. It is fans that over analyze and over dramatize everything and musician's true intentions.

This is so true.

I understand why people question things, but it gets to a point where you're just better off enjoying it for what it is whether its a movie, album, book, a play... whatever. Too many cynical snobs are too quick to point out everything that's wrong with something and they're usually missing the point entirely because they're already so dead set on trying to prove how smart they are and how wrong the masses are :jerkoff:

lame is a great way to put it..

Kurt Cobain wasn't a douche.

says the guy who idolizes Syd Barrett and hates Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, women, and Christopher Nolan movies

you have no credibility at all