Steel Wheels (Rolling Stones)

Vincent Vega

Does anyone else love this album? I feel it was the last above average album the Stones did, the last record where they were actually trying...The albums since 1994 have been them trying to recapture their classic '70s sound....Their 90s and onward material sounds more like the work of the best Stones imitation band than the actual Stones. Probably because of bassist Bill Wyman quitting in '92.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Mixed Emotions was a good song and this tour led to one of my favorite duets: Salt of the Earth. Still pretty amazing the Rolling Stones have Charlie, Kieth and Mick still together.

It's a great, catchy song...And like the most of the material on Steel Wheels, it mixes the Stones' own sound with the contemporary sort of slick/polished pop-rock sound of the late 80s. It doesn't attempt to weakly emulate the early 70s sound like Voodoo Lounge and all the rest since then do. The production dates the record, it's very very late 80s sounding, polished yet somehow for me this is part of the charm. Unlike other records where a dated sound results in it sounding cheesy, the production of Steel Wheels is actually charming because of how old fashioned and slick it sounds. If that makes any sense.

And yes it's awesome that we still have Charlie, Keith and Mick all alive and well. I do hope they tour this year or next. Word is that if they tour, Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor will guest, which would make it all the more awesome. But their sound changed too much for me once Bill quit.

It is funny because there always seems to be a song I like from their new albums. "Out of Tears" was a good ballad, and I even liked "Don't Stop."

But speaking of the Stones, I was watching that documentary concert Shine a Light, and was surprised to hear one of my favorites "She Was Hot" performed live. It was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTc4ql7r-GM

Does anyone else love this album? I feel it was the last above average album the Stones did, the last record where they were actually trying...The albums since 1994 have been them trying to recapture their classic '70s sound....Their 90s and onward material sounds more like the work of the best Stones imitation band than the actual Stones. Probably because of bassist Bill Wyman quitting in '92.

You are so wrong it's not even funny.