The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

PS 

Spoiler

"All The Time in the World" I think is now my favorite Bond song.

I never actually realized the original was made for OHMSS. I just assumed it was a big track from around then, that they played in the movie. 

Also I loved the ending of this, it's not cheesy.

Edited by AtariLegend

11 hours ago, frozen_rose said:

It is a miserable film, totally devoid of humour, fun and anything enjoyable. 

I'm glad it's over. 

Tell us how you really feel.

I just got home from seeing it. I've got mixed feelings but ultimately more towards the positive than the negative. The pacing of the film is great - I was a little worried when I saw the runtime but it was of no concern at all. The whole pre-title sequence was top notch, and even with its lengthy runtime it all felt totally necessary. The title sequence looked fantastic, even if I don't care for the song still. Great casting and great acting throughout. 

On the other hand, I thought the plot was a little clunky and overly complicated. Rami Malek, while he played the role well, was underutilized and Safin's motivations were tenuous/unclear IMO. Would've liked to see more of Ana de Armas as well after she was so hyped, very reminiscent of Monica Belushi's role in SPECTRE. 

Now for the good stuff...

Spoiler

Look, it's gonna polarize people. They killed off Bond, they actually did it. Not to mention Felix and Blofeld also. I'm still not sure how I feel about it - on one hand it makes sense since it really ties up Craig's tenure as a complete story arc. On other other, it just feels so wrong still to me. I'll have to think on this one and see how I feel. 

All of the "We Have All The Time In The World" callbacks were fantastic - particularly having it play over the credits. Legitimately one of the best moments in the film for me. 

Great twist having Safin "poison" Bond by breaking the keychain during their duel - didn't see that one coming at all. 

• Like 2

Well, I listened to the soundtrack before I saw the movie so I had an idea of how it would end, even if it was only a faint hint.

I don't believe this is spoiler-worthy but if not I'll tag it (or someone else can edit) - the ending was wayyyyyy too similar to a certain late-1990's movie ending. Totally cringe then, even worse now.

Otherwise, I thought the movie up until that was great. I'd still rank this #3 for Craig movies. If the third act was even remotely better I'd consider it for #2...instead the ending itself was a big #2.

(As I'm ending this) - I just realized I'm summing up @Cosmo's post, basically. 

Technically this should be the best final Bond movie for an actor ever, unless you consider OHMSS for that category. 

Edit: this might be the most topical Bond movie since the peak of the Cold War, however...

Double edit: I totally agree with @Powerage5's last non-spoiler points. 

Final edit to sum my post up: I like the boldness of this movie, however I don't like the execution of it. Throughout. 

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I have a big LOL for all the little YouTube comments I've read nitpicking two things - Q being gay, and, of course, the female 007 which is the biggest non-event in Bond history. Funny how fragile little white egos can be in the grand scheme of things. There was no "woke" or PC agenda in this film or any such nonsense. Most viewers probably didn't give two shits at what was basically a throwaway line (Q) or Nomi's rivalry with Bond.

So... that ending. I don't care. It was brilliant. That was seriously ballsy and a nice subversion of the very obvious plot elements borrowed from OHMSS and the YOLT novel.

This was the perfect send off for Craig. They now have total freedom to take the series in whichever direction they want from here.

I got doubly emotional because Bond has been such a consistent factor in my life and Craig has truly been my Bond for half my life (I turn 30 next year).

The spin on the gun barrel was cool as fuck, the pre-title sequence was top notch, the pacing never faltered, and I love that mister womanizer finally, and truly, had something to show for it. :lol:

Cuba was a highlight for me, as was, well, the whole bloody film. Emotions I've never felt from Bond before. I'm going to see it again tomorrow. This is the first post-Bond high I've felt in years.

• GNFNR 1

Also loved the OHMSS callbacks during the score especially - obviously We Have All The Time In The World but also the main theme playing behind Bond and M meeting by the riverfront. Brilliant! Washes the taste of those piss poor Thomas Newman scores out of my mouth.

• GNFNR 1

17 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but did Idris Elba have a cameo, at the party in Cuba? I could swear I saw him but it was such a quick shot I couldn’t really process it in real time. 

I spotted that. Tried to google it but couldn't find anything. 

On 9/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Also just saw it. It was alright. Another villain with an iffy motive, just like Blofeld and a strange dude, just like Silva and really the actors who play him and Madeline are practically the same age, so that took me out a bit.

100%. I had exactly the same thought and it took me out the movie for a few minutes. Only 4 years between them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

100%. I had exactly the same thought and it took me out the movie for a few minutes. Only 4 years between them.

I can only assume that's why they gave him the mask in the beginning. If Safin is, say, 20 in the opening scene,  then it puts him less than 10 years older on screen than Madeline, which I don't have too much trouble accepting. I suppose the trouble is that Malek looks younger than he is.

On 10/8/2021 at 12:40 AM, Crazyman said:

Well, I listened to the soundtrack before I saw the movie so I had an idea of how it would end, even if it was only a faint hint.

I don't believe this is spoiler-worthy but if not I'll tag it (or someone else can edit) - the ending was wayyyyyy too similar to a certain late-1990's movie ending. Totally cringe then, even worse now.

Otherwise, I thought the movie up until that was great. I'd still rank this #3 for Craig movies. If the third act was even remotely better I'd consider it for #2...instead the ending itself was a big #2.

(As I'm ending this) - I just realized I'm summing up @Cosmo's post, basically. 

Technically this should be the best final Bond movie for an actor ever, unless you consider OHMSS for that category. 

Edit: this might be the most topical Bond movie since the peak of the Cold War, however...

Double edit: I totally agree with @Powerage5's last non-spoiler points. 

Final edit to sum my post up: I like the boldness of this movie, however I don't like the execution of it. Throughout. 

Topical indeed. When M says "tell them to quarantine" I was like, this got all too real. :lol:

Considering filming wrapped in 2019 I'd say M was pretty on the ball.

I just saw it again, randomly, and I have to say it's better than I remembered originally. I'd still rank it slightly below Skyfall for DC's movies.

I will say, this movie was always somewhat handicapped knowing that it was his last movie and having to tie everything together, especially when the last few failed at making any type of coherent storyline for this era of movies as a whole.

I'm excited to see what they do next. I'll add that the fact they brought the: nvm, I can't add the spoiler tag. But it's a popular fan theory I'm talking about here that they used in this movie. 

Honestly, if they feel the need to make more inclusive movies featuring prominent male characters, then they could do so with this movie in several ways...just change a few things and a few of the female characters could have their own version of this series, ala what we almost with Jinx in DaD. 

Edited by Crazyman
  • GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

I'm excited to see what they do next. I'll add that the fact they brought the: nvm, I can't add the spoiler tag. But it's a popular fan theory I'm talking about here that they used in this movie. 

Don't tell me you mean that code name nonsense. :lol:

I've seen it three times now and don't recall any hint or mention of it within the context of the film. I think Barbara already said they're just going to reboot again which was to be expected anyways.

I suppose this also means in addition to a new Bond we can also speculate on a new MI6 crew as I think the current cast is too tied to Craig (as much as I'd love to see Whishaw as Q for the foreseeable future).

• GNFNR 1

39 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Don't tell me you mean that code name nonsense. :lol:

I've seen it three times now and don't recall any hint or mention of it within the context of the film. I think Barbara already said they're just going to reboot again which was to be expected anyways.

I suppose this also means in addition to a new Bond we can also speculate on a new MI6 crew as I think the current cast is too tied to Craig (as much as I'd love to see Whishaw as Q for the foreseeable future).

100% that's what I mean! They literally called another agent 007, hence the brouhaha over the "potential" replacement from the leaks.

I did read that they are going to reboot/recast, which I have faith in Barbara and Michael since they're technically 2/2 thus far, which is weird considering it's been 27 years since Brosnan was cast, and it'll be a few years until the next Bond at least.

I sincerely hope the younger part of the cast (Q, Moneypenny, etc) return. Even though I like Ralph Fiennes as M they'll probably end up replacing him, too. Maybe they can make the female Bond like they've been talking about for years and keep them in their specific roles as a counter movie in the odd-Bond years. 

7 hours ago, Crazyman said:

100% that's what I mean! They literally called another agent 007, hence the brouhaha over the "potential" replacement from the leaks.

I did read that they are going to reboot/recast, which I have faith in Barbara and Michael since they're technically 2/2 thus far, which is weird considering it's been 27 years since Brosnan was cast, and it'll be a few years until the next Bond at least.

I sincerely hope the younger part of the cast (Q, Moneypenny, etc) return. Even though I like Ralph Fiennes as M they'll probably end up replacing him, too. Maybe they can make the female Bond like they've been talking about for years and keep them in their specific roles as a counter movie in the odd-Bond years. 

True, but the code name theory was that "James Bond" itself was the code name so I don't think the whole "female 007" thing is going to mean anything going forward. Cary Fukunaga said that giving the 007 designation to someone else was added to give Bond yet another struggle since he pretends it doesn't bother him but it does. I remember there being a lot of fans going "well how is he supposed to get the number back" and then Nomi literally just tells M to give it back to him. :lol:

Plus the credits give us the usual "James Bond Will Return" so I think we are truly safe from the code name theory.

One thing I do hope with the inevitable reboot is that they don't do an origin story again. I'd rather just jump right in. I think it'll be too soon after Craig to try any sort of narrative arc without repeating what's been done.

Also, if you haven't yet, I recommend the new "The Making of No Time To Die" book. It made me appreciate of lot of Fukunaga's decisions even more.

I don't know if I've made it obvious or not, but I absolutely loved this film. 80% OHMSS, 20% YOLT novel.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I agree that they won't continue with the codename thing - I think it was more of a wink to the audience that they know about it but won't pursue it after the reboot. (At least I hope that's what it is)

I concur with the origin story point. Even though it was 15 years ago we just had one in the movie franchise universe, though I will say they loved using the "Bond has retired" part for the PTS quite often the past few films.

I also loved how it incorporated a ton from OHMSS. I mentioned it in my first post, but I knew something was going to happen at the end because I had listened to the soundtrack before the movie and heard hints of We Have All The Time In The World. Not to mention, Bond (I believe) literally says that line in the PTS and they bookend the movie on the same, similar road that looks like OHMSS. 

• Like 1

Ultimately I think they played the "aging Bond" card a little too early in Skyfall. I know the implication is supposed to be that much time has passed after QOS but in hindsight I think that particular theme became a little too dominant. I think it works far better in NTTD since it's less to do with his age and more his desire to have somewhat of a proper life.

NTTD is book ended wonderfully with the OHMSS thing - the film opens with mother and daughter and ends with mother and daughter. Bond has guaranteed that they will have all the time in the world - a nice play on expectation.

One could also argue that the reason that the gun barrel sequence shows no blood is to foreshadow Bond's demise. Maybe, after nearly sixty years, it's Bond getting shot instead.

The bits of the YOLT novel that showed up (in particular the quote M reads in his tribute to Bond) were most welcome as well.

Fuck it. This is my favourite Bond film of all. :lol:

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:09 AM, James Bond said:

Funny how fragile little white egos can be in the grand scheme of things. There was no "woke" or PC agenda in this film or any such nonsense. Most viewers probably didn't give two shits at what was basically a throwaway line (Q) or Nomi's rivalry with Bond.

Uhm, but it was. Even women were commenting that to me. Whether Q was waiting for a female or male date was totally irrelevant to the story. No need to mention that. And considering that the actor is gay, people could have made of that whatever they wanted. That was put in there to appease someone/to tick a box. Same as the female 007. So to say there wasn't an agenda is a bit naiive.

16 hours ago, Crazyman said:

As much as I like them, I hope all of them get recast. That would make the most sense with a new Bond taking over. It always was odd that they kept on Judi Dench, when they switched to Craig. Previously it was alright to keep the supporting cast, as it never was a full reboot before, but now it would look stupid.

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Uhm, but it was. Even women were commenting that to me. Whether Q was waiting for a female or male date was totally irrelevant to the story. No need to mention that. And considering that the actor is gay, people could have made of that whatever they wanted. That was put in there to appease someone/to tick a box. Same as the female 007. So to say there wasn't an agenda is a bit naiive.

Exactly - whether Q is waiting for a male or female is irrelevant. That's why it's a non issue. If he had mentioned it was a woman people wouldn't give two shits. They're only bothered because it's a male. You won't convince me otherwise. Who gives two fucks if Q is gay?

As for the female 007 - there is no way that people would have been so pissed if it was a white male character as the replacement 007 or Ana de Armas. The fact that things like that make people so insecure is pathetic. As soon as you cast a black woman or a gay character it's suddenly "to fit an agenda."

Might be able to make an argument if Whishaw was still playing Major Boothroyd but he isn't.

Are Moneypenny and Felix also agenda driven casting? I found Wright to be inspired casting back in 2006. Perfect for a modern Felix to Craig's Bond. It'd be incredibly hypocritical to be bothered by Nomi - an original character with whom they can give whichever story - but be cool with Fleming's "straw haired Texan" being played by a black man.

They weren't forcing anything. Nomi is actually quite an insecure character, and it's not like any of that overtakes Bond in the film or threatens his masculinity.