The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

Doesn't lend any weight towards Bond being black.

Moneypenny is pretty much characterised as a secretary that flirts with Bond. That's it.

I was just posting it because she seems to have been lost in the discussions on Bond girls.

She was given a much bigger role in Skyfall.

I'd be fine with Idris Elba as Bond. It'd be a shame that there'd be a huge race controversy, because he's a great actor and I think he'd play the part well.

I'm one of those people who subscribes to the "Bond is a codename carried by multiple people" theory though (fuck Skyfall), so disregard.

Edited by bacardimayne

I don't want Bond to be played by a black actor for non-race reasons. I will happily accept Bond to be played by any Man, but I think it would make the scriptwriters too careful about what the character says, does etc.

They will feel pressure to make this black Bond appear to be a positive role model and so on, when Bond is practically a sexual predator in the 60's films.

Can you imagine to outrage if a black James Bond was cast, there was a questionable line and the racist "I'm white but offended by this" brigade get on their high horse?

I'd be fine with Idris Elba as Bond. It'd be a shame that there'd be a huge race controversy, because he's a great actor and I think he'd play the part well.

I'm one of those people who subscribes to the "Bond is a codename carried by multiple people" theory though (fuck Skyfall), so disregard.

It would be a difficult sell, that the son of a Scottish landowner/Swiss mother, an old Etonion who ascended the echelons of Royal Navy intelligence, is black; this has more to do with Ian Fleming's original concept of the character than the film Skyfall. Bond is simply, white, caucasian - It is a fact. I would be just as incensed if Alex Cross, Shaft or Luther (Idris Elba's own role) suddenly turned out to be white.