The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

I'm not so much a Bond fan as I am a Cary Fukunaga fan.

It's quite exciting seeing him tether himself to a big bombastic franchise. Not that I want that to become the norm, but for a guy who has played only in minor leagues before, I really want to see what he'll do with a huge canvas and a downright iconic character. 

• 2 weeks later...

Originally I was hoping for a more uptempo song for Craig's final film, but once Billie Eilish was announced I wasn't exactly expecting another You Know My Name. With that said, I absolutely love the track. Lyrically, I think it might be one of the strongest Bond songs. The novelty of having Johnny Marr adding some licks to a Bond song is also awesome. The fact that him and Hans Zimmer were involved in the orchestration and recording gives me high hopes for the score itself. I'm ready to forget about Thomas Newman and get the best score since Quantum of Solace.

• Like 1

This seems like a reactionary decision. EON was so far into promotion that they’re going to take a bath on this since they’ll essentially have to do a second promotional campaign in the fall. The fact that we still got the title track a few weeks ago seems to indicate that everything was full steam ahead a couple weeks ago; they’ve never released a title track 8 months ahead of a film.

9 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

At least they have a chance to refilm the entire thing....make it look exciting? Fun? Adventurous?

Reshoots and re-editing can sometimes save a movie. The original Star Wars was supposed to come out December 1976, but was pushed back half a year for reshoots and re-edits. Those extra 6 months saved that movie. In that time period, the last name “Starkiller” was changed to “Skywalker,” a bunch of pointless scenes were either rearranged or deleted altogether, John Williams beefed up the music, the editors had more time to fix stuff like the sound effects and the color correction, and best of all, George Lucas’ wife had time to restructure the entire finale to make it look like the Death Star was about to blow up the rebel planet, to add to the intensity, and also give the Rebels a more desperate reason to wanna blow up the Death Star.

So, if this new bond movie is currently shit and they need time to fix it, then i say that, by all means, they should go ahead and work on it more.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Every Bond director prior to Cary Fukunaga wishes they had eight months of post-production!

I honestly don't think they'll change much. Maybe some extra time to tidy up the visual effects and music. I'm most curious about how they'll go about marketing the film in the summertime to keep the hype train going.

Billie Eilish hasn't released a proper music video yet so that could be a way to re-introduce the song at the end of summer. Beyond that, they must have decided that the cost of additional marketing outweighs what could be lost on box office. In other words - fuck you, MGM.

I think the film looks terrific myself and feel like Fukunaga is a more than capable director. I think the "female 007" thing was greatly exaggerated and don't think it'll come across as nothing more than an in-joke in the film and not propaganda. Bond has had plenty of female allies.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Every Bond director prior to Cary Fukunaga wishes they had eight months of post-production!

I honestly don't think they'll change much. Maybe some extra time to tidy up the visual effects and music. I'm most curious about how they'll go about marketing the film in the summertime to keep the hype train going.

Billie Eilish hasn't released a proper music video yet so that could be a way to re-introduce the song at the end of summer. Beyond that, they must have decided that the cost of additional marketing outweighs what could be lost on box office. In other words - fuck you, MGM.

I think the film looks terrific myself and feel like Fukunaga is a more than capable director. I think the "female 007" thing was greatly exaggerated and don't think it'll come across as nothing more than an in-joke in the film and not propaganda. Bond has had plenty of female allies.

Exactly - there's zero indication that the film is testing poorly with test audiences. This is absolutely not a production delay. 

The marketing campaign is what I'm most curious about also. This is virtually unprecedented, at least in the modern era, that such a major film is so severely delayed so far into the marketing campaign; I mean tickets were already on sale for fucks sake! Multiple trailers, TV spots in nearly every ad break, the title song's release - all out the window for a 7 month delay. I feel that when the marketing campaign starts back up again in the fall, all of the hype will be deflated. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Exactly - there's zero indication that the film is testing poorly with test audiences. This is absolutely not a production delay. 

The marketing campaign is what I'm most curious about also. This is virtually unprecedented, at least in the modern era, that such a major film is so severely delayed so far into the marketing campaign; I mean tickets were already on sale for fucks sake! Multiple trailers, TV spots in nearly every ad break, the title song's release - all out the window for a 7 month delay. I feel that when the marketing campaign starts back up again in the fall, all of the hype will be deflated. 

For sure. People are talking about the film now, so when the hype inevitably dies by the summer I'll be curious as to what tricks they'll pull out. Aside from his SNL hosting, they've canceled Craig's other upcoming promo. It's also funny to see magazines hitting the shelves with this on the cover!