The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

1 hour ago, action said:

rubbish

you watch this trailer, and it's instantly forgettable. there is no humour, no suspense. just quick, stressfull sequences. only interesting bit was the vague bond theme, but even that was a bit  clumsy. I genuinly feel stressed out watching this.

THIS is how you do a good bond trailer:

I think it's just a difference of modern trailer cutting versus the longer, drawn out story trailers of the sixties.

• GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...

Billie Eilish music video with some semi-new clips (just some longer versions of what we've seen already).

And our first clip from Zimmer's score:

Basically the same arrangement as the SPECTRE gun barrel but more lively. I do wish they had gone for the classic guitar riff as the blood spills down (especially with Marr involved) but this sounds excellent.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, action said:

rubbish

you watch this trailer, and it's instantly forgettable. there is no humour, no suspense. just quick, stressfull sequences. only interesting bit was the vague bond theme, but even that was a bit  clumsy. I genuinly feel stressed out watching this.

THIS is how you do a good bond trailer:

Rubbish, rubbish. It's 2020. Not 1967. Get with the times. I like it and can't wait. Glad Blofeld is back, hopefully this time a little bit more satisfying. And the villain has a lair. Awesome. Also glad it got delayed. So now I have time to do the Bond marathon leading up to it. It's been a while since I saw every single one of them.

Edited by PatrickS77

• James Bond changed the title to James Bond: No Time To Die [POSTPONED AGAIN - NOW APRIL 2021]
19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wonder how long they're willing to keep pushing it back? Beginning to wonder if it might be not better to just take the financial hit and release the thing.

That’s been my thought lately too (for all of these movies, actually). Pretty soon they may not even have a choice, as theater chains are on the verge of bankruptcy now anyways.

Damn shame that this got delayed again. Was really looking forward to it! Oh well...

SIDE NOTE: I’m pretty sure the gap between Spectre and this film is now the second-longest gap in the Bond series (five and a half years). The longest gap is still the one between License To Kill and GoldenEye (six and a half years). Still tho, this is the longest gap between films with the same Bond actor (not counting the unofficial Never Say Never Again).

Edited by rocknroll41

In a weird way the delays are actually making me more excited for the film. I think I'd be worried had it not been completed (ie. they had been in the middle of filming when all this happened), but because we know the film is finished in ready to go it's kind of neat that there's this finished unseen Bond film in limbo.

I'm with you guys though. Not just for Bond but the other big budget films that keep getting endlessly delayed. Who is to say when the situation will truly get better to allow the type of general release they expect? At some point you'd think the companies that be will have to just accept a loss. Rumor mill suggests that Universal (international distributor) has been hesitant about November for a while but MGM was desperate to push ahead. It would seem that EON sided with Universal, but nevertheless I'd honestly be pretty happy to just watch it on VOD at this point.

I love Bond at the cinema, but the times have certainly changed.

45 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Fuck. There really is no time to die. I want an new Bond movie in Fall/Winter. Not towards summer. That's just fucking wrong.

If it's an consolation it'll probably get moved again so you might get your winter wish after all. Winter 2022 at this rate. :lol:

I wouldn't mind April at all. I mean, Bond was a summer thing from The Spy Who Loved Me to Licence To Kill so I feel like that'll be a nice change of pace from our winter fare from 1995 onwards.

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

If it's an consolation it'll probably get moved again so you might get your winter wish after all. Winter 2022 at this rate. :lol:

I wouldn't mind April at all. I mean, Bond was a summer thing from The Spy Who Loved Me to Licence To Kill so I feel like that'll be a nice change of pace from our winter fare from 1995 onwards.

Yeah. No reason to believe it won't get moved again. No sure though I wanna wait a full year.

But Licence (the first Bond I saw at the cinema) is 30 years ago. Every other movie since was a winter movie. I would like to keep it like that. Exotic and hot locations is just something for the winter. Not for early summer.

19 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. No reason to believe it won't get moved again. No sure though I wanna wait a full year.

But Licence (the first Bond I saw at the cinema) is 30 years ago. Every other movie since was a winter movie. I would like to keep it like that. Exotic and hot locations is just something for the winter. Not for early summer.

Licence To Kill was just a little bit before my time so I always have to enjoy Bond in the cold of winter. I'd embrace the change. :lol:

Oh well. I will be ready for the release of the film in Winter 2026.

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If anyone is bored and wants something of the same DNA as Bond, quintessential 1960s Bond that is, you could wade through the TV series The Avengers and The Saint. I am doing this right now.  

I've always been meaning to give these shows a go. The Saint has a lovely complete series box set that I've been meaning to pick up at some point. The Avengers has a lot of Bond alumni which will make it a must watch for me as well, especially in light of Dame Diana's recent passing.

17 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Why release the music video for the title song if you're delaying it 6 months again?

That makes no sense whatsoever

It sounds like MGM in particular is to blame. Barbara and Michael have been vocal about their support of cinema and Universal apparently didn't even want to go ahead with this second round of marketing. It did seem rather strange. Music video, new ads, first single from the soundtrack, vinyl pre-orders, etc... all coming a day before the announcement.

• Like 1

People starting to speculate that all these delays may end up hurting the studios more than benefitting them. With no big name movies to screen a lot of cinemas may not be in business by the time this is all over so movies won't get the audiences they need to break even anyway.

EjjOk0bWsAIC9RG?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Dazey

I really like the music video. Makes me all the more sad that the movie got delayed again.

As others here are saying, there may not even be any theaters left to open to by the time this pandemic is over. Studios may just have to bite the bullet, go straight to streaming, and take the loss.

I can see an eventual return to studio-exclusive theater chains (like how it was before 1948). The act which prevented theaters like that was recently abolished anyways, so it wouldn’t be illegal anymore for studios to do that. That’s where I think we are heading, eventually.

23 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I don't think it will be as drastic as cinemas ceasing to exist, but rather we might see a rise in independent locations opening up in the absence of the chains that may have been forced to downsize or close entirely.

Problem is that without the chains you can't get the number of customers to justify blockbuster movie budgets. I mean that may not necessarily be a bad thing but still. 

15 hours ago, Dazey said:

Problem is that without the chains you can't get the number of customers to justify blockbuster movie budgets. I mean that may not necessarily be a bad thing but still. 

The general consensus seems to be that we might see less big budget blockbusters in general, which I agree might not necessarily be a bad thing. Budgets have been spiraling out of control for years so this might actually end up being a good reset for Hollywood.

• Like 2

I've fallen out of exploring pop princesses since Lorde came on the scene, some years ago. 

Billie Ellish is definitely the flavor of the minute and the pop artist most critics point at for being legitimate.

Does the girl do anything but whisper seductively in her songs? Does she sing, conventionally?

• 3 weeks later...