The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

Glad you enjoyed it! If you're gonna watch more/all of them, I'd recommend starting with Dr. No and going somewhat in order. That, or watch one film from each Bond, to get a sampling of what each actor is like ;)

After seeing this one I also think I should watch them in order... but there are too many!! I would need a lot of free time to watch them all! :lol:

Diamonds are Forever:

Thought it was interesting Natalie Wood's sister, and Jill St John (who Robert Wagner married after Natalie died), were in the same movie.

Also didn't know Wint's son is Crispin Glover. That would be cool if he played a Bond villain b/c of that connection.

Glad you enjoyed it! If you're gonna watch more/all of them, I'd recommend starting with Dr. No and going somewhat in order. That, or watch one film from each Bond, to get a sampling of what each actor is like ;)

After seeing this one I also think I should watch them in order... but there are too many!! I would need a lot of free time to watch them all! :lol:

If you watch one a day it's really not that bad; just over three weeks if you don't skip any days ;)

If you watch one a day it's really not that bad; just over three weeks if you don't skip any days ;)

Yes but I started to watch them in a bad moment. I don't know if I can watch one every day during 3 weeks. I will try to watch at least a couple of them every week though.

Thanks @James Bond! Right now I'm still lost but in a few weeks I'll be an expert and I would be able to discuss with all of you.

Isn't OHMSS a great recommendation for a first James Bond film? Normally I'd suggest Goldfinger or even Skyfall.

I don't know if it's the best choice or not but I liked it.

I picked it mainly because it is a favorite of mine.

I suggest to watch From Russia with Love next but there' one line of dialogue that requires you to watch Dr. No just to understand it.

Dr. No and From Russia with Love are great films to start with. I would also move on to Goldfinger and Thunderball. Skip You Only Live Twice. Since you've seen OHMSS just skip to Live and Let Die and go to The Spy Who Loved Me. Then Skip to The Living Daylights.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

I picked it mainly because it is a favorite of mine.

I suggest to watch From Russia with Love next but there' one line of dialogue that requires you to watch Dr. No just to understand it.

Dr. No and From Russia with Love are great films to start with. I would also move on to Goldfinger and Thunderball. Skip You Only Live Twice. Since you've seen OHMSS just skip to Live and Let Die and go to The Spy Who Loved Me. Then Skip to The Living Daylights.

I trust you, so I will do this. I will watch Dr. No and From Russia this week. I will let you know my opinion afterwards.

Edited by izzygirl

Honestly, if you're really enjoying them up through Thunderball, I wouldn't skip any. True that You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever are a big step down, but they're still enjoyable films. And absolutely don't skip Man With The Golden Gun after Live And Let Die, it's my favorite Moore film ;)

Mission: Impossible II is the worst one too. I don't want John Woo anywhere near Bond.

And correct dalsh. So far Roger has been the only Bond actor to do commentary. I've only watched a couple of his films with the commentary but he tells lots of stories with his usual sense of humor. Good listens.

Mission: Impossible II is the worst one too. I don't want John Woo anywhere near Bond.

And correct dalsh. So far Roger has been the only Bond actor to do commentary. I've only watched a couple of his films with the commentary but he tells lots of stories with his usual sense of humor. Good listens.

Haven't watched any of the commentary's on any Bond films...which ones are most worthwhile? Wish Craig had done a commentary on Quantum, given his heightened involvement in the production aspect, I think it would've been pretty interesting.

Eh! Guys...you're driving me crazy!! I will start with Dr. No and then From Russia with Love. After those 2 I will decide which one goes next.

You defintely won't want to skip Goldfinger and Thunderball after FRWL, no one will tell you otherwise ;)

Haven't watched any of the commentary's on any Bond films...which ones are most worthwhile? Wish Craig had done a commentary on Quantum, given his heightened involvement in the production aspect, I think it would've been pretty interesting.

I haven't watched much of them either to be honest. Just a couple of Roger's (TMWTGG and TSWLM - both entertaining). He remembers lots of little stories about filming so they're good listens if not the most insightful. I still have to watch Skyfall with the Mendes commentary which I've heard good things about. Guy Hamilton's Goldfinger commentary is filled with good tidbits. I never knew until I watched it that Connery actually never stepped foot in the USA for any of his scenes.

That just blows my mind. I think it was Cruise's popularity more than anything, because most fans seem to dismiss it.

It was a highly stylized action film. Really popular at the time. Die Another Day was into it.

Quantum of Solace wasn't really that bad. It is actually a good film. I guess the plot was too simple and it was rather pretentious. But still great performances and I hope Jeffery Wright and Olga Kurylenk return as Felix and Camille respectively. Especially Wright.

What I didn't like was Bond being hung up on Vesper. I feel we were robbed of a quality 007 film of Craig being Bond. Skyfall gave us that and it seems they will continue the exploration of Bond's psychie with Craig.