Who is America's Greatest Rock Band

Carlos Castaneda

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Anyone who disagrees can go jump off a cliff.

This is the correct answer by a fuckin mile.

What GnR accomplished from 1987 - 1991 was monumental. They may not be as prolific as a lot of the groups but they conquered the world in 4 years and did some things that were truly unprecedented. At one point Guns N' Roses was at one point the biggest band in the world, and at the same time had a legit claim to being the best band in the world; very few can claim that. Few if any other American bands can make that claim.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band during the Born in the USA era. Try 7 top ten singles off that album alone. Only MJ has matched that feat.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has even mentioned The Beach Boys. They win it for me.

ROUND ROUND GET AROUND I GET AROUND.

The Beach Boys of course

Too bad the Beach Boys would never have existed if it weren't for Dick Dale & His Del-Tones... :takethat:

For me its gotta be Alice Cooper. Alice made live music more than a concert; it became a show. Without Alice, there would be no Kiss, Motley Crue, Rob Zombie, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc, at least not in their onstage larger-than-life concert personnas.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Anyone who disagrees can go jump off a cliff.

This is the correct answer by a fuckin mile.

What GnR accomplished from 1987 - 1991 was monumental. They may not be as prolific as a lot of the groups but they conquered the world in 4 years and did some things that were truly unprecedented. At one point Guns N' Roses was at one point the biggest band in the world, and at the same time had a legit claim to being the best band in the world; very few can claim that. Few if any other American bands can make that claim.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band during the Born in the USA era. Try 7 top ten singles off that album alone. Only MJ has matched that feat.

I don't think Springsteen was ever as big worldwide as Guns were at their peak. In the US, sure but not internationally. And the release of both UYI albums on the same day and their subsequent success was unprecedented, and to this day 21 years later has never been replicated.

I don't think Springsteen was ever as big worldwide as Guns were at their peak. In the US, sure but not internationally. And the release of both UYI albums on the same day and their subsequent success was unprecedented, and to this day 21 years later has never been replicated.

Springsteen has a huge fanbase out of the USA. His sales in Australia, UK, Germany are much bigger than Guns N' Roses.

Guns N' Roses has better sales only in South America.

Springsteen has a huge fanbase out of the USA. His sales in Australia, UK, Germany are much bigger than Guns N' Roses.

GnR has sold 100 million worldwide, Springsteen has sold 120 million

However, GnR has 5 albums of original material and debuted in 1987; Springsteen debuted in 1973 and has 16 original albums. In a global sense, GnR was a lot bigger at their peak than Springsteen has ever been.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Guest Len B'stard
GNR is the only American band seen as the taking the mantle away from Zeppelin or The Stones

Says who? I don't think GnR compare. The Stones and Zep are what they are because they released CONSISTENT good product, they were creative machines, they were pumping out good product on a regular, how the fuck you gonna compare something like that to GnR who released about 3 albums basically and then releasing a fuckin' stinker of as cover album. I don't know much about Zep' but i can say about The Stones pretty much released consistently good matierial starting from the early 60s right the way through to the late 70s...and actually releasing albums on a regular basis, quite frankly GnR do not compare there.

If GnR can qualify on the back of 3 albums, 1 considered legendary and 2 considered very good but patchy then The Stooges qualify too cuz they released 3 albums, all of which are hugely rated at the moment, dare i say two of em more rated than Appetite and more important albums than anything GnR ever released.

The Doors are a much better example, they consistently released good albums, there really is no shit Doors albums, the ones that are criticised are criticised on the basis of the high level of expectation of them by the critics of the day, the albums are fuckin' killer, all of em.

Edited by sugaraylen

GNR is the only American band seen as the taking the mantle away from Zeppelin or The Stones

Says who? I don't think GnR compare. The Stones and Zep are what they are because they released CONSISTENT good product, they were creative machines, they were pumping out good product on a regular, how the fuck you gonna compare something like that to GnR who released about 3 albums basically and then releasing a fuckin' stinker of as cover album. I don't know much about Zep' but i can say about The Stones pretty much released consistently good matierial starting from the early 60s right the way through to the late 70s...and actually releasing albums on a regular basis, quite frankly GnR do not compare there.

If GnR can qualify on the back of 3 albums, 1 considered legendary and 2 considered very good but patchy then The Stooges qualify too cuz they released 3 albums, all of which are hugely rated at the moment, dare i say two of em more rated than Appetite and more important albums than anything GnR ever released.

The Doors are a much better example, they consistently released good albums, there really is no shit Doors albums, the ones that are criticised are criticised on the basis of the high level of expectation of them by the critics of the day, the albums are fuckin' killer, all of em.

Iam not a journalist , so I do not have to source to prove a point. But, many journalists have argued that GNR were our generations Zep and Stones. GNR were the biggest band rock band in the world at their peak. Only the Stones and Led Zeppelin can claim the same. Global popularity does in fact say alot, it is something only a very few can claim. U2 and the Beatles are other bands who can legitamatly claim global dominance. The Stooges? Sure man. :rolleyes: You dont know much about Zep , but still say GNR do not compare, whatever. I only said GNR were my pick , but listed The Doors as canidates, but you were too busy isolating one sentence to argue a point. Calm down. It is a debate among fans of music, nothing worth losing your cool over Johhny rotten, with your rotten soul. I feel sorry for anyone who dares to love your rotten soul. :heart: MYGNR forum is home to some of the most damaged human beings on the internet. " I'm a supporter of GNR in green letters only"-sugarlame :jerkoff:

Edited by Carlos Castaneda

Guest Len B'stard
Iam not a journalist , so I do not have to source to prove a point. But, many journalists have argued that GNR were our generations Zep and Stones. GNR were the biggest band rock band in the world at their peak. Only the Stones and Led Zeppelin can claim the same.

No i think you'll find that at any time in the world where there were rock bands, there was a biggest, Oasis were for a time, The Monkees were at one point, many many many bands have been the biggest rock band in the world at their peak, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that it's a position only occupied by Led Zeppelin, The Stones and GnR, i'm sorry but you're just wrong there.

When you're selling the most tickets and the most albums and making the most money, you're the biggest rock band in the world, there's probably one now, Coldplay or whoevers making big numbers now.

You dont know much about Zep , but still say GNR do not compare, whatever.

Well i know enough to know they released product more consistently and are more acclaimed and a bigger footnote in rock n roll history than anything GnR can reasonably claim, i don't need to be their biographer to know that.

I only said GNR were my pick , but listed The Doors as canidates, but you were too busy isolating one sentence to argue a point. Calm down. It is a debate among fans of music, nothing worth losing your cool over Johhny rotten, with your rotten soul. I feel sorry for anyone who dares to love your rotten soul. MYGNR forum is home to some of the most damaged human beings on the internet.

Are you alright? :lol: I weren't having a go at you or nothing, it appears something i've said has hurt your feelings although i can't think what, i'm sorry man, was just disagreeing with you.

MYGNR forum is home to some of the most damaged human beings on the internet. " I'm a supporter of GNR in green letters only"-sugarlame

OHHHH, now i get it, you're one of them. I was wondering why you were having a go at me, i get it now. The supporter thing means when you donate to the forum, it ain't a pledge of allegiance to GnR. I like Guns n Roses, i think they're a pretty good band but see i'm a grown up and when you're a grown up this weird thing happens to you where you realise that bands are actually groups of strangers that play instruments together and don't become relatives of yours just because you like their music or buy their album, Axl Rose ain't my fuckin' Dad, just cuz i like his music don't mean i'm gonna walk around talking complete rubbish about them being like, one of the three biggest bands in rock n roll history when they're clearly not. Sorry if that offends you or makes you feel like i'm a traitor to the cause, what can i say, have me court martialled :shrugs:

So basically this thread was just you looking for people to agree with you that Guns are like, Americas Greatest, right, got'cha, well sorry but i disagree.

Edited by sugaraylen

I feel sorry for anyone who dares to love your rotten soul. :heart:

:o You really are a certified, card carrying cocksmith aren't you? I mean fucking hell, go have a lie down and make sure to tidy away any sharp things in the immediate vicinity before you hurt yourself! :rolleyes:

MYGNR forum is home to some of the most damaged human beings on the internet.

Well you're a fucking good fit then sunshine! :lol:

Edited by Dazey

GnR has sold 100 million worldwide, Springsteen has sold 120 million

However, GnR has 5 albums of original material and debuted in 1987; Springsteen debuted in 1973 and has 16 original albums. In a global sense, GnR was a lot bigger at their peak than Springsteen has ever been.

Bruce has played the same stadiums that GNR have played, even if you're talking about at their peak, they had no problem packing venues in. Bruce can STILL sell out stadiums and he's 62. Axl & Bruce do cover songs well, and that always has to be factored in.

GNR were equals to Bruce, but never bigger.

For me its gotta be Alice Cooper. Alice made live music more than a concert; it became a show. Without Alice, there would be no Kiss, Motley Crue, Rob Zombie, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc, at least not in their onstage larger-than-life concert personnas.

I'm hopping on this train. :devilshades:

Iam not a journalist , so I do not have to source to prove a point. But, many journalists have argued that GNR were our generations Zep and Stones. GNR were the biggest band rock band in the world at their peak. Only the Stones and Led Zeppelin can claim the same.

No i think you'll find that at any time in the world where there were rock bands, there was a biggest, Oasis were for a time, The Monkees were at one point, many many many bands have been the biggest rock band in the world at their peak, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that it's a position only occupied by Led Zeppelin, The Stones and GnR, i'm sorry but you're just wrong there.

When you're selling the most tickets and the most albums and making the most money, you're the biggest rock band in the world, there's probably one now, Coldplay or whoevers making big numbers now.

You dont know much about Zep , but still say GNR do not compare, whatever.

Well i know enough to know they released product more consistently and are more acclaimed and a bigger footnote in rock n roll history than anything GnR can reasonably claim, i don't need to be their biographer to know that.

I only said GNR were my pick , but listed The Doors as canidates, but you were too busy isolating one sentence to argue a point. Calm down. It is a debate among fans of music, nothing worth losing your cool over Johhny rotten, with your rotten soul. I feel sorry for anyone who dares to love your rotten soul. MYGNR forum is home to some of the most damaged human beings on the internet.

Are you alright? :lol: I weren't having a go at you or nothing, it appears something i've said has hurt your feelings although i can't think what, i'm sorry man, was just disagreeing with you.

MYGNR forum is home to some of the most damaged human beings on the internet. " I'm a supporter of GNR in green letters only"-sugarlame

OHHHH, now i get it, you're one of them. I was wondering why you were having a go at me, i get it now. The supporter thing means when you donate to the forum, it ain't a pledge of allegiance to GnR. I like Guns n Roses, i think they're a pretty good band but see i'm a grown up and when you're a grown up this weird thing happens to you where you realise that bands are actually groups of strangers that play instruments together and don't become relatives of yours just because you like their music or buy their album, Axl Rose ain't my fuckin' Dad, just cuz i like his music don't mean i'm gonna walk around talking complete rubbish about them being like, one of the three biggest bands in rock n roll history when they're clearly not. Sorry if that offends you or makes you feel like i'm a traitor to the cause, what can i say, have me court martialled :shrugs:

So basically this thread was just you looking for people to agree with you that Guns are like, Americas Greatest, right, got'cha, well sorry but i disagree.

I was curious what other people thought about this subject. Aerosmith billing themselves as America's greatest rock band made me curious what people on a GNR forum would think. A grown up. :jerkoff: I had a go at you because you are prone to say shit like Iam a grown up. Most of us here are grown ups who have jobs, familys, and good friends. "When you're a grown up this weird thing happens to you where you realise that bands are actually groups of strangers that play instruments together". :jerkoff: Bands and music are just as meaningful to me as an adult as they were when I was a child. And, yes only a handful of bands have achieved true global dominance and Oasis, nor the Monkees qualify.