Who is America's Greatest Rock Band

Carlos Castaneda

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carving in the band name in your arm with a knife isn't dedication, it's just moronic.

no different than getting a tattoo of someones name, yet the love for the band will be forever where as the love for the name somone put on their body might not.

also not any different than someone getting a brand for a college fraternity

plus it wasnt just some knife it was a scalpel and the carving was later covered in alcohol and set on fire so it would stay on their its just another way of doing a tattoo

Guest Len B'stard
I was curious what other people thought about this subject. Aerosmith billing themselves as America's greatest rock band made me curious what people on a GNR forum would think. A grown up. I had a go at you because you are prone to say shit like Iam a grown up. Most of us here are grown ups who have jobs, familys, and good friends. "When you're a grown up this weird thing happens to you where you realise that bands are actually groups of strangers that play instruments together". Bands and music are just as meaningful to me as an adult as they were when I was a child. And, yes only a handful of bands have achieved true global dominance and Oasis, nor the Monkees qualify.

Really, seriously, you've honestly got a problem with me because i don't agree that Zep, Stones and GnR are the three biggest rock bands in history, really?!?! :lol: And you're a grown up, yeah? And stop moving the fuckin' goalposts OK, first it was the biggest band and now you're off into "true global dominance", which is a slightly ridiculous criteria to judge this shit by if i may say so, one was a clear defined or at least reasonably defined assertion, 'the biggest band', what the fuck is true global dominance now? And for a time in the mid 60s The Monkees were outselling The Beatles and playing all around the fuckin' world, don't take shots at me over your lack of knowledge about music.

Velvet fucking Underground. Honorable mentions; Doors, Beach Boys, Ramones, Stooges, Springsteen/E Street, Prince and the Revolution.

Chop that off at Springsteen and you got a perfect post ;)

Edited by sugaraylen

I was curious what other people thought about this subject. Aerosmith billing themselves as America's greatest rock band made me curious what people on a GNR forum would think. A grown up. I had a go at you because you are prone to say shit like Iam a grown up. Most of us here are grown ups who have jobs, familys, and good friends. "When you're a grown up this weird thing happens to you where you realise that bands are actually groups of strangers that play instruments together". Bands and music are just as meaningful to me as an adult as they were when I was a child. And, yes only a handful of bands have achieved true global dominance and Oasis, nor the Monkees qualify.

Really, seriously, you've honestly got a problem with me because i don't agree that Zep, Stones and GnR are the three biggest rock bands in history, really?!?! :lol: And you're a grown up, yeah? And stop moving the fuckin' goalposts OK, first it was the biggest band and now you're off into "true global dominance", which is a slightly ridiculous criteria to judge this shit by if i may say so, one was a clear defined or at least reasonably defined assertion, 'the biggest band', what the fuck is true global dominance now?

Velvet fucking Underground. Honorable mentions; Doors, Beach Boys, Ramones, Stooges, Springsteen/E Street, Prince and the Revolution.

No, it's fine the way it is. <_<

Guest Len B'stard

Really, seriously, you've honestly got a problem with me because i don't agree that Zep, Stones and GnR are the three biggest rock bands in history, really?!?! :lol: And you're a grown up, yeah? And stop moving the fuckin' goalposts OK, first it was the biggest band and now you're off into "true global dominance", which is a slightly ridiculous criteria to judge this shit by if i may say so, one was a clear defined or at least reasonably defined assertion, 'the biggest band', what the fuck is true global dominance now?

No, it's fuckin' shit the way it is, get rid of the knackered ol' grey haired foreskin from Jersey and that horrible little mannequin with a copy of The Watchtower and thats a good list...dear :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Hey, dont "monkee" around with this guy, he is a grown up with a world of musical knowledge at his disposal. Anybody who doesnt understand the importance of Prince and Bruce Springsteen should not be acting as if they know much about popular music. I really wish people like this would post pictures of themselves in their avatars.

Okay sugermomma, I claim that only a handful of bands has ever reached global dominance: The Stones, Zep,U2,GNR,Elvis and maybe Metallica to some extent. Coldplay may one day be up there as well. Each of the artists I listed were or are the biggest bands on the planet for a period of time. As much as I love Bruce and some of the other artists listed within this thread, none of them were the biggest band for any period of time. There you have a very short version of global dominance.

Awwww, is somebody annoyed cuz i made their post look stupid? :lol: sorry!

Post that picture and we will see who looks stupid sugerwalls. :D This is a fan forum, every post is somewhat inherently stupid. I do not take it seriously.

Guest Len B'stard

Well you weren't saying global dominance, you were talking about being the biggest band and many bands can and have claimed that mantle. Sorry of that annoys you that you were wrong but facts are facts. And as far as timescales, we're talking about a genre thats roughly 50 years old and is based on commerce and very often on fads, some of the biggest sellers of many years and decades are totally forgotten cuz thats the nature of the business.

Post what picture?

Hey, dont "monkee" around with this guy, he is a grown up with a world of musical knowledge at his disposal. Anybody who doesnt understand the importance of Prince and Bruce Springsteen should not be acting as if they know much about popular music. I really wish people like this would post pictures of themselves in their avatars.

He actually is (though calling him a 'grown up' might be pushing it). He's just an epic snob and will dismiss things outright that he hasn't actually explored. :lol: I do however, agree with most of his posts in this thread. :shrugs:

Guest Len B'stard

Thank you Angie, you'll have to ignore carlos, he's hoping

Axls reading, y'know axl rose, lead singet of the 3rd biggest band in the world? LOL!!!!!! Wankerrrt!

Axls reading, y'know axl rose, lead singet of the 3rd biggest band in the world? LOL!!!!!! Wankerrrt!

Well man, Axl is a true artist. I just read your John Frusciante post , so I must apologize for my "childish" stance. I could never shit on a person after knowing their affection for Mr. Frusciante. He has taken me on many journeys. I love John more than any guitarist alive, except for maybe The Edge. Hey , this is just a fan forum and I do not really mean to attack a person over differences. So, from one music lover to another, I sorry.

Guest Len B'stard

Well man, Axl is a true artist. I just read your John Frusciante post , so I must apologize for my "childish" stance. I could never shit on a person after knowing their affection for Mr. Frusciante. He has taken me on many journeys. I love John more than any guitarist alive, except for maybe The Edge. Hey , this is just a fan forum and I do not really mean to attack a person over differences. So, from one music lover to another, I sorry.

Thats cool. You should check out Keith Levene if you like The Edge:)

Guest Len B'stard

Richie didn't hang about, eh? Fuckin' hell...was thinking of posting that but it'd been slightly dishonest of me cuz i don't really have fuck all to do with The Manics in terms of being a fan or anything. Howeverrr...

nazi.jpg

Whatever fucked up shit you got, Iggy'll do you one better :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

GG don't count cuz GG was just doing it for the sake of doing it, that ain't natural, thats a concious attempt to top those who came before, any attention seeking cunt can do that, it's got to have some kinda context :lol: He died on my birthday y'know...which is the same birthday as Henry the 8th...and i like on one of his former estates...it's also the same date tyson bit off holyfields ear. There you go, don't you feel a better human being for knowing all that? :lol:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Carving in the band name in your arm with a knife isn't dedication, it's just moronic.

no different than getting a tattoo of someones name, yet the love for the band will be forever where as the love for the name somone put on their body might not.

plus it wasnt just some knife it was a scalpel and the carving was later covered in alcohol and set on fire so it would stay on their its just another way of doing a tattoo

That's really cool.

Or not. I'd call anyone that did that a moron.

That's really cool.

Or not. I'd call anyone that did that a moron.

dont think they would really care :takethat: