ChiDem Album Backorder at Bestbuy

axlrod

My sister lives in Annapolis-MD, she went to Bestbuy to have ChiDem but the store offers a backorder to be delivered in 2 weeks or 30days.

Chinese Democracy CD = $37.99

Chinese Democracy Sheet Music = $24.99

I just informed my sister to buy it at Amazon for $4.

Does anybody here works at Bestbuy and share us more information about the stocks?

Forgive me if this has been discussed at length here, and I'm sure it probably has, but what were they thinking when they made the album available exclusively throught Best Buy? I'm no marketing expert, but it seems a bit counterintuitive to make any product available through through only one retailer. On top of that, they didn't produce a video for any of the singles. Did they believe that name recognition and anticipation of the album were enough to promote it?

Forgive me if this has been discussed at length here, and I'm sure it probably has, but what were they thinking when they made the album available exclusively throught Best Buy? I'm no marketing expert, but it seems a bit counterintuitive to make any product available through through only one retailer. On top of that, they didn't produce a video for any of the singles. Did they believe that name recognition and anticipation of the album were enough to promote it?

It's pretty simple. Best Buy (or an exclusive company), pays the band, record company, etc., a certain amount of money to carry their CD, specifically to them only. Then, the band gets that much money, no matter what.

I am guessing they did it for the guaranteed profit through the deal.

As far as the OP goes, though, I have no idea what's up with that. There's no way the CD's list price is that high, and to the best of my knowledge, it's deleted in our system, so she shouldn't be able to order it through us anyway.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Chinese+Democracy+%28Japan%29+%28Shm%29+-+CD/19885178.p?id=2381846&skuId=19885178&st=chinese%20democracy&lp=2&cp=1

As far as the OP goes, though, I have no idea what's up with that. There's no way the CD's list price is that high, and to the best of my knowledge, it's deleted in our system, so she shouldn't be able to order it through us anyway.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Chinese+Democracy+%28Japan%29+%28Shm%29+-+CD/19885178.p?id=2381846&skuId=19885178&st=chinese%20democracy&lp=2&cp=1

Well that would explain it. That's a SHM copy from Japan. That's why it's $37.99.

If ChiDem has been deleted from your system, have you sold all the items?

After it had been $1.99 for awhile, stores sent back all of the leftover stock.

Well that would explain it. That's a SHM copy from Japan. That's why it's $37.99.

I got it, it's a Super High Material. If you don't have any item left, are you authorized to re-print copies of ChiDem?

My sister lives in Annapolis-MD, she went to Bestbuy to have ChiDem but the store offers a backorder to be delivered in 2 weeks or 30days.

Chinese Democracy CD = $37.99

Chinese Democracy Sheet Music = $24.99

I just informed my sister to buy it at Amazon for $4.

Does anybody here works at Bestbuy and share us more information about the stocks?

Best Buy had an exclusive deal for a full year, but when the deal ended, they eventually sent back all unsold copies. Those have turned up in other places (someone found a copy in the Dollar Store). Then all other retail stores were issued copies, I believe with different SKU/ISBN numbers.

The $37.99 one is an SHM CD from Japan so the price is more expensive due to it being an import (that's also why it's on backorder).

I'm assuming Best Buy might not even carry the normal retail copy of the album if the cheaper, standard version wasn't listed in their inventory. After the exclusivity deal expired, they might not have received 'normal' retail copies like other retailers did.

The exclusive deal through Best Buy was actually a wise financial move, as the band received an upfront payment regardless of copies sold. I do believe, however, it hindered their overall sales, as neither Best Buy or the band did any real promotion for it. Without a hit single, a music video or - the most important part, imo - a strong press circuit (talk shows, performances, bandmember interviews, etc.) - the record floundered. It's unlikely it would have ever been a huge album in today's age anyway, but if Axl had done some press it would have at least gotten more exposure and attention.

• 2 weeks later...

So you don't even carry it anymore? :question:

at that point, why not just give them away with every purchase? or put a big crate out in the parking lot with as many free copies as you want. they already wasted the money to buy those albums and ship them across the country. seems stupid to waste more money to ship them back and store them in a warehouse forever.

why was it deleted from your system?

at that point, why not just give them away with every purchase? or put a big crate out in the parking lot with as many free copies as you want. they already wasted the money to buy those albums and ship them across the country. seems stupid to waste more money to ship them back and store them in a warehouse forever.

They sell the left over off to liquidators for pennies on the dollar. It's a way to recoup "some" money they invested in Chinese. It happens all the time with loads of products and cloths. That's how discount stores end up w/ designer items.

They sell the left over off to liquidators for pennies on the dollar. It's a way to recoup "some" money they invested in Chinese. It happens all the time with loads of products and cloths. That's how discount stores end up w/ designer items.

The same day I seen Chi Dem in Shopko and Goodwill. Near one was opened. Shopko was selling for 9.99 and Goodwill was selling it for .99. (in the USA), So the Best Buy exclusive deal is over.