The 'lol Bumblefoot' incident and other MyGNR nostalgia

Dan H.

Well its good to learn something about the history of the forum from this thread, things have changed for the better. When Madison was banning people for these types of things, din't Eric or HV do something about it?

HV was only a moderator at the time so he didn't have much authority to stand up to Madison iirc. It was Subsy, Madison, and Eric. Subsy was very very mellow and so he never really got involved unless he said stuff behind the scenes. Madison was essentially the eyes, ears, judge, jury, and executioner of MYGNR Forum.

Eric was NEVER around in the early days. I suspect he didn't care much for discussion on the forum and saw it mostly as a revenue source. Eric became active after the Axl Rose incident in which Madison famously got banned.

Then began "the dark ages" where Eric kindof turned everyone evil. It was like a forum version of the Stanford Prison Experiment. Zint, HV, and gunsguy were all mod happy, and banning, deleted threads, mysterious suspensions, and conspiracies ran rampant. A lot of old members left and never returned, and GNFNR's was created. The forum was a very dark and depressing place during eric's administration.

After eric's downfall the place mellowed out really fast. Zint, GG, and HV were suddenly normal again. There was a lot of mistrust in the moderating team and Subs caught a lot of flack that he didn't really deserve. cupcakes began popping up, "Skype Crew" surfaced, but slowly from there the forum has returned to a state of more or less "normality".

Anyone remember madisons story about being at Ground Zero during 9/11? :lol:

Lol Eric

And I don't remember the 9/11 story. Please share!

I miss Madison, in hind sight. She was great entertainment, and breathed a lot of life into the forum. She could also be a real asshole, and very power hungry. Had it out for a lot of members here on the forum, the women in particular.

I think it would be great if she came back as a member, I'd never see her as a mod again.

What Axl did to her was totally out of line. She shouldn't have had to have gone out like that, MYGNR was her baby. She should have left, but it's a shame she had to go in such shame and embarrassment.

She posts once in a while. Her last posting spree was only this past winter. I didn't like her, but agree Axl was out of line. He could have said something without being THAT vicious.

Also, Skype Crew was hilarious. What a weird event in MYGNR history

Well its good to learn something about the history of the forum from this thread, things have changed for the better. When Madison was banning people for these types of things, din't Eric or HV do something about it?

Eric was NEVER around in the early days. I suspect he didn't care much for discussion on the forum and saw it mostly as a revenue source. Eric became active after the Axl Rose incident in which Madison famously got banned.

Madison was never banned; she was simply demoted from the admin position.

Is that why the picture threads are gone?

Sort of. We had our Adsense account suspended last year and the cost of running this place was killing Subs. We had to move most of the picture section to a private area that isn't publicly accessible. I've since restored some of the GNR-related threads, but there's so much garbage in the old section it would take years to filter through it all (i.e., it's not happening). Once we got adsense back and running I started slowly bringing back old sections and threads (hence, Yesterdays). It's still a work in progress but I'm the only one doing it so it will take some time.

I've moved this discussion to the Civil War section as it belongs there.

• Like 1

So I was reading this and this famous incident is mentioned, this is what she had to say about it

I’ll give you an example: There was a small group of forum members who decided to spam every thread on the forum with the post “lol bumblefoot.” They thought it was funny and cute. When they tell the story now, they love suggesting that I banned somebody for making a post that said “lol bumblefoot” – which was not the case. This wasn’t a single post here and there – as they would like people to believe. They were spamming every thread with these posts, regardless of the topic, and this was disruptive to the thread discussions. I asked them – more than once – to stop spamming the forum as our forum rules specificially state we don’t allow this. But they continued – and even bragged on another forum about pushing it up a notch. I gave them multiple warnings – and yet they continued. When I banned the first one, I thought the others would get in line, but they didn’t. They just continued. So, yes, I banned the entire group. If I had allowed them to continue, they would have disrupted every thread, which would have hurt the overall forum, and I just didn’t have the time to clean up every thread every day until they got bored doing it.

…. I might add that most were allowed back when I saw them register under new names.

For members who were allowed back after a banning (and many were), they were rebanned without warning if they continued acting like jackasses or started breaking other rules.

http://www.thegnrforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1069