Why isn't there a straight parade?

GUNSNROSES513

Because straight people haven't historically had to overcome centuries of stigma, abuse, adverse legislation and overt criminalisation of their relationships in order to provide them with a sense of some sort of "community in persecution."

When's the Obese People Parade? The Short People Parade? The Mentally Challenged People Parade? The Butt Ugly People Parade?

Gays are far from the only group who have been persecuted for centuries.

you just hate gay people you evil monster :tongue2:

thing is we should all be tolerent of everyone in this world but the problem is people only want to be tolerent of something they agree with, iam very pro gay marriage and have no problem with gay pride parades.

If the tea party or any religious group wanted to have a straight parade as a protest against gay marriage i would be cool with that but the double standards in this country would be full of venom and hate for the straight parade but same people would scream tolerance for the gay parade

Edited by bran

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because straight people haven't historically had to overcome centuries of stigma, abuse, adverse legislation and overt criminalisation of their relationships in order to provide them with a sense of some sort of "community in persecution."

When's the Obese People Parade? The Short People Parade? The Mentally Challenged People Parade? The Butt Ugly People Parade?

Well, given "Butt Ugly" is a matter of judgement from the perspective of an individual as opposed to an outright fact, it would be very difficult to round up and legislate against all of the purportedly ugly people in the world. Ugly is an arbitrary concept, many people whom you consider ugly probably don't think of themselves that way, people's looks do not necessarily determine their actions. There's no sense of community between these "ugly" people in the same way there is with the gay community where many people share a common bond of interest. No community, no parades. I'm not saying discrimination based on looks doesn't exist, because it does. It's just far more messy and complicated, and embodied in wildly different ways than legislation saying "Two men who commit this act together shall be criminally charged" or "Two women may not marry."

I'm also not denying that there has been discrimination against Obese, Short and Mentally Challenged people historically. But those are all wildly different kinds of attributes of a person which have lead to discrimination. The reasons for Obesity, (a huge variety of) Mental Illness(es) and Shortness are all so hugely varied as to be utterly disparate, none of them are in any way as simple as "I love this person, I would like to enter into a relationship with them and ultimately marry them." There's much less of a "cause" for such people to get together and appear in solidarity for, no sense of community = no parade.

Also, most gay people who involve themselves in parades etc. must feel that being in love is something worth celebrating. This is a positive and fulfilling aspect of their lives, which they live for and enjoy. I doubt you'd be able to organise an event and try to get obese people to show up in order to celebrate the positive impact that being obese has had on their lives, how it has made them feel wanted, stable and whole...

When was the last time you heard of a cop busting someone's head in for one of those offences?

thing is we should all be tolerent of everyone in this world but the problem is people only want to be tolerent of something they agree with, iam very pro gay marriage and have no problem with gay pride parades.

If the tea party or any religious group wanted to have a straight parade as a protest against gay marriage i would be cool with that but the double standards in this country would be full of venom and hate for the straight parade but same people would scream tolerance for the gay parade

That's not a double standard. A 'straight people parade as a protest against gay marriage' would in no way be the equivalent of a gay pride parade.

That's not a double standard. A 'straight people parade as a protest against gay marriage' would in no way be the equivalent of a gay pride parade.

so take out the hypothetical protest

what would happen if a church group wanted to do a straight pride parade would the same people calling for tolerance for gay pride parades show the same for the straight parade? i highly fucking doubt it

what would happen if a church group wanted to do a straight pride parade would the same people calling for tolerance for gay pride parades show the same for the straight parade? i highly fucking doubt it

The "God Hates Fags" religious group hold their little protests all the time.

It's annoying,but they are widely consiered a joke.

Honestly,I think if a religious group or tea party or grannies-united-to-stop-the-homasexshuls wanted to hold a straight parade no one would stop them.

The photo op alone would be hilarious.

Of course they wouldn't, cause again, it would be a different thing. The gay pride parades exist because of the persecution and discrimination the community has suffered, and continues to suffer. There is no legitimate cause for a straight pride parade, because no one, anywhere, ever, is telling straight people to be ashamed of being straight or persecuting and discriminating against them. A straight pride parade would in effect be an anti gay parade.

Edited by Angelica

Of course they wouldn't, cause again, it would be a different thing. The gay pride parades exist because of the persecution and discrimination the community has suffered, and continues to suffer. There is no legitimate cause for a straight pride parade, because no one, anywhere, ever, is telling straight people to be ashamed of being straight or persecuting and discriminating against them. A straight pride parade would in effect be an anti gay parade.

they have gay pride parades to show people they are proud to be gay. that is why it is called gay pride. iam sure there are people that are proud to be straight and if they want to have a straight pride parade their should be tolerance showed. same thing for gay pride parades people who disagree should show the same respect and tolerance, but in this country people will only be tolerant of things they agree with

Exactly. Best post of the topic.

Believe it or not, I do not have a problem at all with a Gay Pride parade. Celebrate away!!!!

The protest part is what I don't necessarily like about it. A gay "pride" parade to celebrate gay marriage is a LOT different than doing it as a protest against people you disagree with.

Like the entire chick fillet (whatever that place was called) protests......so a group that bashes people for being non-tolerant is now protesting people that have a different opinion? Bit of hypocricy right there.

People have to be tolerant of all groups - not just the ones they agree with. If you want people to be open minded and tolerant towards your cause, then you have to be willing to do the same thing. Crying for tolerance while insulting the people you disagree with.......that says more about you than the person you are insulting.

they have gay pride parades to show people they are proud to be gay. that is why it is called gay pride. iam sure there are people that are proud to be straight and if they want to have a straight pride parade their should be tolerance showed. same thing for gay pride parades people who disagree should show the same respect and tolerance, but in this country people will only be tolerant of things they agree with

Speaking of tolerance.

I remember in the 60's and early 70's when the good ol boys...god fearing straight as die..men among men had a REAL problem with guys with long hair.

You know...these metal head Black Sabbath loving sissy boys with their hair longer than your average girly girl.They used to call those Sabbath fans "Shirley" and "Linda" and "Alice".If you were lucky,you got of Dodge before they got too drunk and beat you to a bloody pulp so bad that an ambulance driver had to scrape you off the sidewalk.

Let's have a parade for those guys.Straight,white,church going,god fearing,hard working,salt of earth average joes.

Speaking of tolerance.

I remember in the 60's and early 70's when the good ol boys...god fearing straight as die..men among men had a REAL problem with guys with long hair.

You know...these metal head Black Sabbath loving sissy boys with their hair longer than your average girly girl.They used to call those Sabbath fans "Shirley" and "Linda" and "Alice".If you were lucky,you got of Dodge before they got too drunk and beat you to a bloody pulp so bad that an ambulance driver had to scrape you off the sidewalk.

Let's have a parade for those guys.Straight,white,church going,god fearing,hard working,salt of earth average joes.

its not the 60s and 70s anymore

In reaction to the discrimination and prejudice they face for being gay. In reaction to the fact that society has (and continues) to suggest they should be ashamed to be gay.

Edited by Angelica

In reaction to the discrimination and prejudice they face for being gay. In reaction to the fact that society has (and continues) to suggest they should be ashamed to be gay.

thats not the point, the point is tolerance. i think gay pride parades are great be proud dont be ashamed, and people who disagree should show tolerance. my question is if a church group or some grass roots people wanted to have a straight pride parade would the people bitching and moaning about the gay haters not showing tolerance show tolerance themselves? i highly doubt they would

that is where the double standard comes in. the best thing that equates to what im saying is the latest rob halford interview, when they ask him about the chick fil et incident

thats not the point, the point is tolerance. i think gay pride parades are great be proud dont be ashamed, and people who disagree should show tolerance. my question is if a church group or some grass roots people wanted to have a straight pride parade would the people bitching and moaning about the gay haters not showing tolerance show tolerance themselves? i highly doubt they would

Again....no they probably wouldn't, because that would in effect be an anti-gay thing. And that's not the equivalent of a gay pride parade, unless you think gay pride parades are about protesting against straight people (hint: they're not).

Speaking of tolerance.

Ah...but...unfortunately in some ways it very much still is.

The good ol boys lost the good fight on long haired freaks,but the gay community is still open season.

So maybe celebrating gay pride is more about survival and the advances that have been made,in spite of the fact that in North America (at least) people are still being beaten to death over sexual orientation right up and into 2012.

Maybe they are celebrating small victories, like the cops no longer being able to go into a gay bar and billyclub everyone in to unconsciousness for the sole reason that it was a slow and boring Saturday night.

There are countries on this planet where sexual orenientation is still illegal.

Perhaps gay pride is much more than just "being proud".

Perhaps it's survival in the face of intolerance and the very real threat of violence.

Speaking of tolerance.

Ah...but...unfortunately in some ways it very much still is.

The good ol boys lost the good fight on long haired freaks,but the gay community is still open season.

So maybe celebrating gay pride is more about survival and the advances that have been made,in spite of the fact that in North America (at least) people are still being beaten to death over sexual orientation right up and into 2012.

Maybe they are celebrating small victories, like the cops no longer being able to go into a gay bar and billyclub everyone in to unconsciousness for the sole reason that it was a slow and boring Saturday night.

There are countries on this planet where sexual orenientation is still illegal.

Perhaps gay pride is much more than just "being proud".

Perhaps it's survival in the face of intolerance and the very real threat of violence.

this so over the top i dont know where to begin

first off the good ol boys im guessing you mean white southerners? or is it just white christians?

if so i lived in the south and i really didnt see any gay bashing people hammering gay people or beating them down in bars in fact a very openly gay person was one of the most popular kids in school and his brother was a long haired metal fan.......:tongue2:

where i live in NH we have passed gay marriage same with almost every state around us, up where i live i never see any gay bashing or hating times change people change.

maybe its like that where you live i dont know, but where i live and even in the good ol boys in the south i never saw it

the fact remains there should be tolerance for people regardless of beliefs, unless the beliefs are horrible. having a straight parade is no different than a gay parade

what about a non supremacist white pride parade?

Exactly. Best post of the topic.

Believe it or not, I do not have a problem at all with a Gay Pride parade. Celebrate away!!!!

The protest part is what I don't necessarily like about it. A gay "pride" parade to celebrate gay marriage is a LOT different than doing it as a protest against people you disagree with.

Like the entire chick fillet (whatever that place was called) protests......so a group that bashes people for being non-tolerant is now protesting people that have a different opinion? Bit of hypocricy right there.

People have to be tolerant of all groups - not just the ones they agree with. If you want people to be open minded and tolerant towards your cause, then you have to be willing to do the same thing. Crying for tolerance while insulting the people you disagree with.......that says more about you than the person you are insulting.

You wouldn't protest against people who were attempting to deny you basic rights? Really? And when you say we have to be 'tolerant' of 'all' groups are we including neo-nazis and NAMBLA and whatnot?

having a straight parade is no different than a gay parade

Except for the part where the only concievable point of such a parade would be homophobia. And no one's saying you can't throw one, but it's not the same thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Angelica

what like normal people having a white pride parade? i wouldnt care same if black people had a black pride parade wouldnt care either. there has all ready been hispanic pride parades in NYC and LA

how would a straight pride parade be anti gay? isnt that like saying a gay pride parade is anti straight? neither which is correct gay pride is saying "we are gay and we are proud this is who we are" a straight parade would be " we are straight we are proud this is who we are" its what they are there is no hate or anti anything except anti tolerance if pro gay pride people have a bitch fit about the straight parade

what like normal people having a white pride parade? i wouldnt care same if black people had a black pride parade wouldnt care either. there has all ready been hispanic pride parades in NYC and LA

how would a straight pride parade be anti gay? isnt that like saying a gay pride parade is anti straight? neither which is correct gay pride is saying "we are gay and we are proud this is who we are" a straight parade would be " we are straight we are proud this is who we are" its what they are there is no hate or anti anything except anti tolerance if pro gay pride people have a bitch fit about the straight parade

FFS, are you kidding with this? :rofl-lol:

FFS, are you kidding with this? :rofl-lol:

about what? how is a straight pride parade anti gay? is a christianity pride parade anti islamic?

Well, given "Butt Ugly" is a matter of judgement from the perspective of an individual as opposed to an outright fact, it would be very difficult to round up and legislate against all of the purportedly ugly people in the world. Ugly is an arbitrary concept, many people whom you consider ugly probably don't think of themselves that way, people's looks do not necessarily determine their actions. There's no sense of community between these "ugly" people in the same way there is with the gay community where many people share a common bond of interest. No community, no parades. I'm not saying discrimination based on looks doesn't exist, because it does. It's just far more messy and complicated, and embodied in wildly different ways than legislation saying "Two men who commit this act together shall be criminally charged" or "Two women may not marry."

I'm also not denying that there has been discrimination against Obese, Short and Mentally Challenged people historically. But those are all wildly different kinds of attributes of a person which have lead to discrimination. The reasons for Obesity, (a huge variety of) Mental Illness(es) and Shortness are all so hugely varied as to be utterly disparate, none of them are in any way as simple as "I love this person, I would like to enter into a relationship with them and ultimately marry them." There's much less of a "cause" for such people to get together and appear in solidarity for, no sense of community = no parade.

Also, most gay people who involve themselves in parades etc. must feel that being in love is something worth celebrating. This is a positive and fulfilling aspect of their lives, which they live for and enjoy. I doubt you'd be able to organise an event and try to get obese people to show up in order to celebrate the positive impact that being obese has had on their lives, how it has made them feel wanted, stable and whole...

Isn't the main reason for gay pride parades to show they are proud of being gay, and to feel good about themselves? Just like Puerto Rican Day parades are about Puerto Rican pride? And St. Patrick's Day parades are about Irish pride? And African American parades are about African American pride? I don't think they all have parades because they feel they are being legally discriminated against, I don't think that's what the parades are all about.

Not to get too much into the issue of gay marriage (which by the way I am not against), but can a piece of paper really validate one's commitment to another person? Do two people need to be married in order to prove they love each other? Does marriage prove they love each other? Does marriage guarantee faithfulness or devotion? Marriage is an obsolete institution.

Getting back to the original subject, it's far more difficult these days to be included in one of the other groups I have mentioned that are routinely discriminated against. Gays can live their entire lives hiding the fact they are gay. Can obese people hide the fact they are obese? Can short people hide the fact they are short? Can mentally challenged people hide the fact they are mentally challenged? (which BTW is much different than being mentally ill). Broadcasting to the world they are gay is a choice they don't have to make. Also, society is far more accepting of gays than they are of other groups such as the obese. If an obese person goes in for a job interview, they are often perceived as lazy and lacking self discipline and a health risk. Gays do not lose job opportunities because they are gay, whether they are open about their sexuality or not.

Big picture, I think it's detrimental when an entire country gets fragmented into all these different sub-groups of people. It prevents unity, and creates an "us against them" mentality (so what crew do you belong to?). Therefore I shake my head whenever I see any type of pride parade, because everyone should feel proud of themselves regardless of their gender or race or nationality or physical appearance or sexual orientation. A real "community" includes everyone, not just those who fall into one same category.

Isn't the main reason for gay pride parades to show they are proud of being gay, and to feel good about themselves? Just like Puerto Rican Day parades are about Puerto Rican pride? And St. Patrick's Day parades are about Irish pride? And African American parades are about African American pride? I don't think they all have parades because they feel they are being legally discriminated against, I don't think that's what the parades are all about.

Not to get too much into the issue of gay marriage (which by the way I am not against), but can a piece of paper really validate one's commitment to another person? Do two people need to be married in order to prove they love each other? Does marriage prove they love each other? Does marriage guarantee faithfulness or devotion? Marriage is an obsolete institution.

Getting back to the original subject, it's far more difficult these days to be included in one of the other groups I have mentioned that are routinely discriminated against. Gays can live their entire lives hiding the fact they are gay. Can obese people hide the fact they are obese? Can short people hide the fact they are short? Can mentally challenged people hide the fact they are mentally challenged? (which BTW is much different than being mentally ill). Broadcasting to the world they are gay is a choice they don't have to make. Also, society is far more accepting of gays than they are of other groups such as the obese. If an obese person goes in for a job interview, they are often perceived as lazy and lacking self discipline and a health risk. Gays do not lose job opportunities because they are gay, whether they are open about their sexuality or not.

Big picture, I think it's detrimental when an entire country gets fragmented into all these different sub-groups of people. It prevents unity, and creates an "us against them" mentality (so what crew do you belong to?). Therefore I shake my head whenever I see any type of pride parade, because everyone should feel proud of themselves regardless of their gender or race or nationality or physical appearance or sexual orientation. A real "community" includes everyone, not just those who fall into one same category.

great post agree completely