Do You Enjoy Your Country's Traditional Music?

Graeme

Traditional music's not something which is discussed particularly heavily or very often in this section, was wondering if anyone enjoyed listening to their (or other) country's folk music? From Americana to Didgeridoo, through pan-pipes, African vocal harmonies to spanish guitar music, what are some of your favourites? Are there any artists you feel marry this music to modern rock/pop music particularly well?

I love traditional music, I probably listen to it more than anything else now, but I don't want to saturate the topic right away. Hopefully some other people will fire some cool stuff up first.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditional music's not something which is discussed particularly heavily or very often in this section, was wondering if anyone enjoyed listening to their (or other) country's folk music? From Americana to Didgeridoo, through pan-pipes, African vocal harmonies to spanish guitar music, what are some of your favourites? Are there any artists you feel marry this music to modern rock/pop music particularly well?

I love traditional music, I probably listen to it more than anything else now, but I don't want to saturate the topic right away. Hopefully some other people will fire some cool stuff up first.

i do like listening to the blues and i always liked listening to native american music

i also like listening to some native instruments from other countries when they implement them in folk or pagan metal

lots of finnish bands i listen to use the kantele the hurdy gurdy from western europe and celtic metal bands using bagpipes and flutes and other instruments

amorphis a band from finland even writes songs in the same structure as native finnish folk music

I'm in Australia, so for me the traditional music would be the didgeridoo. It's OK for a short while but gets a little monotonous. I actually quite enjoy Spanish flamenco guitar, and used to listen to a lot of Irish/Celtic type music although not so much anymore.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm hugely interested in it actually, i think you find something of the soul of a place through the music it produces moreso than any other one thing.

I'm hugely interested in it actually, i think you find something of the soul of a place through the music it produces moreso than any other one thing.

Yeah definitely agree, although I'm also really interested in architecture, so that combined with a countries music is a magical combination for me.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah definitely agree, although I'm also really interested in architecture, so that combined with a countries music is a magical combination for me.

Architectures amazing, especially around in London although they're pulling most of it down but...you can still see the scars of history all over that place, it's really quite amazing, it's a shame there's so little respect for victorian/edwardian type architecture, it's really very severe but it has a sort of character of its own that i hate that people consider somehow lacking in value compared to some...big glass triangle of an office block.

Architectures amazing, especially around in London although they're pulling most of it down but...you can still see the scars of history all over that place, it's really quite amazing, it's a shame there's so little respect for victorian/edwardian type architecture, it's really very severe but it has a sort of character of its own that i hate that people consider somehow lacking in value compared to some...big glass triangle of an office block.

Fuck that's really bad if they are tearing stuff down. I thought they only did that here? They pull everything down to build some lame ass shopping centre that has the same shops as the other shopping centre 15kms away and on top of that it looks like its built of balsa wood and will fall over if a breeze picks up. Fucking retards!

I dunno if i'm mistaking Australia with New Zealand but am i right in saying there's tons of cathedrals around your way?

Nah, that's NZ. And one of the best ones they had was destroyed by the earthquakes in Christchurch. Unbelievable. We have a couple, but they are nothing like the ones your way. They are amazing! I have a thing for cathedrals. I'm not a religious person but I really love churches, abbeys, monasteries and gregorian chants! I must have been a weird little monk in another life! :lol:

HELL NO. Samba is something I'm ashamed of :lol:, Bosss Nova isn't THAT bad, it's just bad and MPB sucks. Overall, I'm not fond of Brazilian music in any genre. It's because I don't think portuguese is a proper language when singing. It doesn't sound right. Too many silables, there's to much difference between formal and informal portuguese: you either sound like a lawyer or like a bum.

HELL NO. Samba is something I'm ashamed of :lol:, Bosss Nova isn't THAT bad, it's just bad and MPB sucks. Overall, I'm not fond of Brazilian music in any genre. It's because I don't think portuguese is a proper language when singing. It doesn't sound right. Too many silables, there's to much difference between formal and informal portuguese: you either sound like a lawyer or like a bum.

:fuckyou: I used to dance samba in junior high.

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jkhJ0PueIU

:heart:

Guest Len B'stard

Music from those ends is great, what little i've heard. I don't pretend to understand it but it's interesting. Brazils Bossa Nova and like, whats that one of Columbia, i think it's called Cumbia? The best rhythms of the world come from your part of the world, it's a shame you prefer music for the club-footed (western music :lol:).

I enjoy bluegrass a bit.

I enjoy celtic music a lot, especially the type of stuff you play down at a pub. I've been a bagpiper most of my life. I HATE piobaireachd (pronounced roughly pee-brock). It i s just boring as shit and drags on forever and I think frankly, it's hardly identifiable as music, even. That's why I never play that shit.

Guest Len B'stard

Well apparantly ours is East Coast Newfies singing about Mary Mary Mack finding love on a trawler boat while gettin er done buddy eh...so, no not into it at all.

Fuck that, yous lot were the creators of authentic indigenous music, if thats what music from Canada sounds like i wanna fuckin' move to London. Your one i mean, not mine. Funnily enough, i don't know any Canadian music, Alanis Morrisette i think is from round your way but other than that, until you turned me onto Teenage Head and The Viletones and The Sub-Human and Simply Saucer, i didn't have a clue about Canada musicwise. Anything wise actually, except my brothers typically blunt statement of "they're like yanks only cleverer and nicer" :lol: Dunno how he knows that cuz he's never been to either!

What is like, Canadian music, like in the charts and what have you, like, who are/were the big boys of it?

Whether it's a scratchy old 78, a folk revival, or any type of world music coming from an authentic place, it's kind of otherworldly. I know some types of "world music" are record companies hiring a bunch of session guys and selling it in a Hallmark, or the stuff people are playing at amusement parks and tourist traps.

I don't know why music isn't incorporated more into history classes, because it's one of the best representations of a country. Memorizing a bunch of facts and dates, or watching a Hollywood version of history, which is almost always an "accuracy be damned" attitude, doesn't really communicate life at the time. Folk songs do.

A lot of times, music was created just to get through life, have something to get you through the day, and party through the night.

The Star Spangled Banner was a drinking song, but I think Frances Scott Key made better use out of it.

Guest Len B'stard

Whether it's a scratchy old 78, a folk revival, or any type of world music coming from an authentic place, it's kind of otherworldly. I know some types of "world music" are record companies hiring a bunch of session guys and selling it in a Hallmark, or the stuff people are playing at amusement parks and tourist traps.

I don't know why music isn't incorporated more into history classes, because it's one of the best representations of a country. Memorizing a bunch of facts and dates, or watching a Hollywood version of history, which is almost always an "accuracy be damned" attitude, doesn't really communicate life at the time. Folk songs do.

A lot of times, music was created just to get through life, have something to get you through the day, and party through the night.

The Star Spangled Banner was a drinking song, but I think Frances Scott Key made better use out of it.

One of the best post i've ever ever ever ever read on this forum.

Well apparantly ours is East Coast Newfies singing about Mary Mary Mack finding love on a trawler boat while gettin er done buddy eh...so, no not into it at all.

Like this?

Fucking love it! Those harmonies have BALLS, it has a great sense of humour and is strangely beautiful at the same time. It's rooted in a lot of the music that I grew up with in Scotland, which I will talk more about soon.

I absolutely agree with dalsh's post, I find it incredible the variety of music that cultures around the world have produced and real trad music is the music of the people; it encapsulates so much. It has none of the alienating grandeur of Classical/art music and the similar alienating element of eventual wealth and seeming untouchability of the celebrity culture etc. which comes from popular music. It's like the music of the land, shipyards, cities, it belongs to all the people who live there. That's what's amazing about it.

I had to stop and think what is our traditional music. It is not that common to hear it and there is not that much of it in YouTube.

Värttinä is something successfully marketed under traditional music, they made it to Rock in Rio 2001. They are interpreting traditional Carelian music,

but that is just one of the “tribes” (like Scotts, Welsh) we have:

This is a very old love poem, I am not sure about the melody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYLft5F3dwc

This melody is traditional, but lyrics are from 1930 (lyrics also in English):

techno version (funny):

I love all kinds of unusual instruments, this “jumpstick” (not traditional) is funny:

This positive singer (a priest) has made 1500 songs, many of them hits to also other singers (Dolly Parton has 5000 songs so far).

Modern American Country is one of the most bland genres I can possibly think of, so no.

I think there's still some great music coming out in that vein at the moment, beyond the hyper-produced Nashville kind of material. The Low Anthem are just awe-inspiringly talented, I've never seen a band bring a room to hush with just four people clustered around the one microphone before.