BREAKING NEWS: LSU's Tyrann Mathieu kicked off team.

arnold layne

BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU has dismissed Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann Mathieu from its football program for violating school and team rules.

"We extended ourselves personally and professionally to him," LSU coach Les Miles said at a news conference Friday. "He has really improved and has a chance to take some steps as a person.

SN: Matthieu Dismissed

Tyrann Mathieu's dismissal has sent shockwaves through the college football community. Did LSU just cost themselves a shot at a title?

Comment and vote!

"We extended ourself to the full length of the policy."

Miles would not specify the reason Mathieu, who was suspended for a game last year for failing a drug test, was kicked off the team.

"We'll miss the guy," Miles said. "The football team's got to go on. We'll have to fill the void."

A source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday that Mathieu has been looking for a new school to play for this season. Mathieu has two years of eligibility left and could transfer, but he would have to sit out this season if he went to another school in major college football. If he moved down a level, to FCS, he could play right away.

"I can't imagine he would be here and not want to transfer and go play football," Miles said. "We will help him in every way we can."

Last season Mathieu was a finalist for the Heisman and won the Chuck Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player.

The junior defensive back nicknamed "Honey Badger" was the surprising Heisman Trophy candidate last season as the Tigers won the Southeastern Conference championship and reached the BCS title game. LSU lost the championship 21-0 to Alabama.

LSU enters this season ranked No. 1 in the USA Today coaches' poll. The AP college football poll will be released Aug. 18. The Tigers opened preseason camp last week as one of the favorites to reach the national championship game again.

Mathieu was the team's big-play machine at cornerback and on special teams. The All-American scored four touchdowns -- two on punt returns and two on fumble returns -- intercepted two passes and caused six fumbles and recovered four.

"At the time, I think it's an opportunity to redirect and I think he still has a bright future," Miles said. "He can still accomplish all the goals he set for himself. It's not going to be easy, but it's going to be doable.

"For the team, we lost a quality person. We enjoyed working him. He was a great teammate."

LSU isn't quite as deep at cornerback as it was last season, when it had All-American Morris Claiborne and often used Mathieu as a nickleback. Tharold Simon is the other starter opposite Mathieu. Second on the depth chart are redshirt freshman Jalen Collins and freshman Jalen Mills.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I'm not much of a football fan do I don't know the ins and outs of the rules but couldn't he sign on as an undrafted free agent with a pro team?

It's possible. But his best bet, if he wants to go the NFL soon and get the most contract-wise, is to enroll at a division II school where he will not have to sit out a year, perform well and get drafted.

We'll welcome him at Nebraska!!!! He can play for Bo Pelini and staff so there's familiarity there. :lol:

That would be awesome, but no way is he going to sit out this year then want to play the next year. He will be on an NFL roster this time next year no matter what he does this year.

At least he's not an Oregon linebacker. Getting trashed and passing out unannounced in a random females bed. Is this the honey badger guy?

yes, he has a fondness for the stickiest of the icky :wow:

as a gator fan i cant say this is a bad thing B)