Yoko Ono performs....

Vincent Vega

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

How the fuck is that art?

By virtue of being a manifestation of human creativity?

I love Yoko, i think she's amazing...her yelling shit included in that. She was, amongst other things, a conceptual artist and the nature of conceptual art is such that it ain't the thing unto itself that is exceptional but the message that it conveys. Hugely underrated is ol' Yoko...hugely influential too.

I love Yoko, i think she's amazing...her yelling shit included in that. She was, amongst other things, a conceptual artist and the nature of conceptual art is such that it ain't the thing unto itself that is exceptional but the message that it conveys. Hugely underrated is ol' Yoko...hugely influential too.

Oh fuck you. 3strang3d is more art than that shit. :lol:

Oh fuck you. 3strang3d is more art than that shit. :lol:

:rofl-lol:

Lenny, you fucking crack me up. "by virtue of being a manifestation of human creativity". Where the hell did you pull that one from? :lol: Listen, I'm feeling the PIL, enjoyed it immensely all day, but that is just too funny. This is the first time I have disagreed with ANYTHING I've heard you say! And DS is right, threestrangthreed IS more art than that!

Lenny you're like my curry muncher brother from another mother and I.love you but that is the biggest pile of codswallop I have heard in me whole fucking life.

Guest Len B'stard

Oh fuck you. 3strang3d is more art than that shit.

You don't have to like it but you can't deny what it is man :lol: I understand it's kinda kooky and weird but you know what i think? And i think this is the case with a lot of alternative music, a lot of people are afraid to like it? Or afraid to give it a chance cuz they think they're the butt of some elaborate joke on the part of the artist...and sometimes they are, see Warhol.

But yeah, look, the idea is that music is just organised sound, right, sound with theory and structure applied to create melody and rhythm etc So then essentially, could this not be considered like a deconstruction of accepted modes of vocal expression? Subversion if you like?

It's kinda like the album she made with John Lennon called Two Virgins which was just basically a tape recorder left on in their house for 40 mins while they went about their day, all natural sound, or them muttering in the background, doors opening and shutting etc etc etc. To me thats one of the most amazing album of all time...and not cuz of what it is but what it represents. It's like like Andy Warhol filming the Statue of Liberty for 12 hours, it ain't the point to sit there and stare at a still building for 12 hours, its just that it exists and it was made and it was made with a point and it's that point or idea that is meant to inspire. And to me, stuff like this, Yoko yellley/chanty stuff and stuff like Two Virgins, basically what it's trying to say is that music is just organised noise, sound with structure and...as a musician or an artist you don't necessarily have to follow any kind of structure. Now to the right ears thats revelatory. You could probably come up with it yourself if you sat down and thought about it, it's pretty obvious stuff but it serves to liberate music and what one can do with an instrument, whether that be musical or any other object from which you can manipulate sound. Or even if it's taken as a subversion of concepts of musical theory as in OK, there are rules but you can work outside them or around them, like alternative music, or like...slabs of sound to convey tone or mood.

It's all related to that Janov Primal Therapy thing which is just basically a bunch of rich fuckers slingin' Janov a bunch of money to sit on his couch and scream their fuckin lungs out until they...i dunno, tap into some fuckin' childhood pain or some shit. Sounds like a load of shite to me but not a complete load of shit, as a form of therapy that is.

But then, y'know, look what it inspired, the idea is to use your voice like an instrument. It doesn't necessarily have to be saying anything, all human sound represents something and as a result of which, can convey emotions, even if it ain't words. I mean lets face it, how many people understand the lyrics of the albums they listen to anyway? Go through your average CD collection and look through em and think about how many of the albums there you'd even understand the lyrics if you hadn't read em. Still get some serious fuckin emotion conveyed though, right?

I mean, when i first heard Nice Boys by GNR i didn't know WHAT the fuck he was talking about...and y'know what, it didn't matter. Same with Right Next Door to Hell, i read the lyrics sheet to that shit as a kid, thats how i understood what he was on about otherwise I was fuckin' clueless.

In fact, i'm willing to wager that people probably more often than not ain't got a clue what the singers are singing, especially in some of your heavier music. Doesn't always matter. Some of the most powerful vocal expressions have been screams.

The voice is an instrument like anything else you can get some kind of sound out of more than once. I think it's inspiring, Two Virgins, the album i previously mentioned, despite only having sat through it once, is one of the most important albums in the world to me...not cuz i listen to it everyday on the way to work but because of what it represents, the idea behind it.

Yoko Ono in one of the most influential living people in music today, she ain't everyones cup of tea but she really is quite astonishingly brilliant.

Listen, I'm feeling the PIL, enjoyed it immensely all day, but that is just too funny.

Would you say that qualifies as art?

Edited by sugaraylen

You don't have to like it but you can't deny what it is man :lol: I understand it's kinda kooky and weird but you know what i think? And i think this is the case with a lot of alternative music, a lot of people are afraid to like it? Or afraid to give it a chance cuz they think they're the butt of some elaborate joke on the part of the artist...and sometimes they are, see Warhol.

But yeah, look, the idea is that music is just organised sound, right, sound with theory and structure applied to create melody and rhythm etc So then essentially, could this not be considered like a deconstruction of accepted modes of vocal expression? Subversion if you like?

It's kinda like the album she made with John Lennon called Two Virgins which was just basically a tape recorder left on in their house for 40 mins while they went about their day, all natural sound, or them muttering in the background, doors opening and shutting etc etc etc. To me thats one of the most amazing album of all time...and not cuz of what it is but what it represents. It's like like Andy Warhol filming the Statue of Liberty for 12 hours, it ain't the point to sit there and stare at a still building for 12 hours, its just that it exists and it was made and it was made with a point and it's that point or idea that is meant to inspire. And to me, stuff like this, Yoko yellley/chanty stuff and stuff like Two Virgins, basically what it's trying to say is that music is just organised noise, sound with structure and...as a musician or an artist you don't necessarily have to follow any kind of structure. Now to the right ears thats revelatory. You could probably come up with it yourself if you sat down and thought about it, it's pretty obvious stuff but it serves to liberate music and what one can do with an instrument, whether that be musical or any other object from which you can manipulate sound. Or even if it's taken as a subversion of concepts of musical theory as in OK, there are rules but you can work outside them or around them, like alternative music, or like...slabs of sound to convey tone or mood.

It's all related to that Janov Primal Therapy thing which is just basically a bunch of rich fuckers slingin' Janov a bunch of money to sit on his couch and scream their fuckin lungs out until they...i dunno, tap into some fuckin' childhood pain or some shit. Sounds like a load of shite to me but not a complete load of shit, as a form of therapy that is.

But then, y'know, look what it inspired, the idea is to use your voice like an instrument. It doesn't necessarily have to be saying anything, all human sound represents something and as a result of which, can convey emotions, even if it ain't words. I mean lets face it, how many people understand the lyrics of the albums they listen to anyway? Go through your average CD collection and look through em and think about how many of the albums there you'd even understand the lyrics if you hadn't read em. Still get some serious fuckin emotion conveyed though, right?

I mean, when i first heard Nice Boys by GNR i didn't know WHAT the fuck he was talking about...and y'know what, it didn't matter. Same with Right Next Door to Hell, i read the lyrics sheet to that shit as a kid, thats how i understood what he was on about otherwise I was fuckin' clueless.

The voice is an instrument like anything else you can get some kind of sound out of more than once. I think it's inspiring, Two Virgins, the album i previously mentioned, despite only having sat through it once, is one of the most important albums in the world to me...not cuz i listen to it everyday on the way to work but because of what it represents, the idea behind it.

Yoko Ono in one of the most influential living people in music today, she ain't everyones cup of tea but she really is quite astonishingly brilliant.

I don't know where you're coming from with this one man. I can make annoying fuckin' noises until I knock myself out, but I don't think anyone would consider me revolutionary for doing so. I would condone your love of throwing bottles so you could chuck a few at me if I decided that was a good idea.:lol:

How is she influential at all? Am I missing this flock of screaming dipshits somewhere? Please don't point them out if I am. One is bad enough.

Guest Len B'stard

You gotta give things a chance man. Fair play if you don't like it that is what it is but...i dunno, i listen to stuff now that 13 yr old me would've gone "what a load of fuckin' bollocks". It kind fits into your kinda masculine paradigm of, y'know, these slack-jawed homosexuals and their "art", they're just a bunch of dickheads...and y'know some of them are, a lot of them are but not everything, i like things that are extreme, things that i don't understand, things that are abrasive...but with an idea behind em. And yeah, i could list tons of people influenced by Yoko man, Sonic Youth, Glen Branca, the entire No Wave Scene out of New York, lost of the punk and post punk out of England, Siouxsie and The Banshees, The Slits, The Raincoats, i could go on for ages really.

But fair play man, some things just ain't your thing, thats cool :)

Edited by sugaraylen

In fact, i'm willing to wager that people probably more often than not ain't got a clue what the singers are singing, especially in some of your heavier music. Doesn't always matter. Some of the most powerful vocal expressions have been screams.

Listen, I'm feeling the PIL, enjoyed it immensely all day, but that is just too funny.

Unlike Johnny, I actually think that was really good. You are right (and I still think you should be a copywriter or a writer of some fucking variety) BUT I do think that when things are abstract as Yokos performance was, it's not just enough to do it, or show it without some way of communicating to the audience or viewer what the intention was behind it. Perhaps they did because we only saw a snippet of the whole thing but so often with modern art they don't and people walk around galleries staring at pictures left, right and centre all in some kind of jumbled form without having any fucking clue what the real story is behind it. An 18th century landscape or something doesn't need a lot of description, but modern art does because it's intellectual. I just think its wrong to expect people to look at a picture for 30 seconds and 'get' what it's about, and then they go onto the next and the next. It's like looking at the surface of the ocean without ever knowing all the life that's underneath. The art world fails big time in that area IMO.

And yes, the PiL is art. :)

Guest Len B'stard

Unlike Johnny, I actually think that was really good. You are right (and I still think you should be a copywriter or a writer of some fucking variety) BUT I do think that when things are abstract as Yokos performance was, it's not just enough to do it, or show it without some way of communicating to the audience or viewer what the intention was behind it. Perhaps they did because we only saw a snippet of the whole thing but so often with modern art they don't and people walk around galleries staring at pictures left, right and centre all in some kind of jumbled form without having any fucking clue what the real story is behind it. An 18th century landscape or something doesn't need a lot of description, but modern art does because it's intellectual. I just think its wrong to expect people to look at a picture for 30 seconds and 'get' what it's about, and then they go onto the next and the next. It's like looking at the surface of the ocean without ever knowing all the life that's underneath. The art world fails big time in that area IMO.

And yes, the PiL is art.

But it's not meant to be that direct see, i mean, like the example i was giving with the Two Virgins album, which you could almost cite, at least in terms of the core criticisms being levied here, as guilty of what that yoko clip is accused of. But i heard what the album was before i heard it and it IMMEDIATELY made sense to me? Y'know, it made sense as in what i previously described but that was all my thinking, i wasn't prompted there, i was confronted with a concept, i thought about it (and more also of the idea that it was released in the way a piece of music would be) and came to that interpretation, when the artist points you too much in one direction or another it limits your participation and your interpretation and the whole thing is meant to be about your interpretation and what a given thing says it YOU, it's personal, i ain't saying what i assigned as my interpretation of Two Virgins to be like, y'know, some kind of gospel or even an accurate reflection of what John and Yoko had in mind when they made that album, it doesn't really matter to me what the artist has in mind, it's kinda like trying to guess what someones thinking, even if they tell you they could be lying so whats the point? It is what it is and it means what it means to each individual seperately from the artists intention, in fact a good case can be made that...the artists intention is almost the least important aspect because it is just so remote. Example, a perfectly happy song could have the SADDEST most tragic memories in the world attached to it simply because of where you were in your life when you heard it, the original meaning becomes obselete because of your personal emotional responses...and every single persons is different. You could put an instrumental passage on for 100 different people and you'd get 100 different responses, the artist to me is probably the least important in terms of the meaning of a piece of music/art.

Yes, I absolutely agree that interpretation is really important. In fact I said this in the Muse thread the other day that I often dislike music videos because I feel like the band or director, whatever is putting a stamp on the music and it can alter what the song means to you. Example, I like that NIN song Closer. But when I saw the video I was so grossed out, it was just fucking evil and devious and it just kind of killed it for me.

Maybe the difference to me is that when you go to a gallery, you're bombarded by images and there's people milling around getting in your road, and maybe youre hungry or whatever. That poor bloody picture has to communicate to you in seconds and it's often too much of a leap for most people to get. I love art, all varieties, but even I can get jaded in some circumstances. It's just too much. And its really sad, because there is so much behind each picture that never gets understood. However, when you listened to that piece of music, you made a conscious decision to do it. You sat down and quietly listened to it, while thinking about it, etc, etc. The situation enabled you to appreciate it much easier than the way that a lot of art is usually presented. In my opinion its probably better to look at modern art in a book or something first to understand it and then go an see the original because there's no doubt that the real thing is better than a print, but what's e point if you can't give it the time and attention it deserves?

Guest Len B'stard

Yes, I absolutely agree that interpretation is really important. In fact I said this in the Muse thread the other day that I often dislike music videos because I feel like the band or director, whatever is putting a stamp on the music and it can alter what the song means to you. Example, I like that NIN song Closer. But when I saw the video I was so grossed out, it was just fucking evil and devious and it just kind of killed it for me.

Maybe the difference to me is that when you go to a gallery, you're bombarded by images and there's people milling around getting in your road, and maybe youre hungry or whatever. That poor bloody picture has to communicate to you in seconds and it's often too much of a leap for most people to get. I love art, all varieties, but even I can get jaded in some circumstances. It's just too much. And its really sad, because there is so much behind each picture that never gets understood. However, when you listened to that piece of music, you made a conscious decision to do it. You sat down and quietly listened to it, while thinking about it, etc, etc. The situation enabled you to appreciate it much easier than the way that a lot of art is usually presented. In my opinion its probably better to look at modern art in a book or something first to understand it and then go an see the original because there's no doubt that the real thing is better than a print, but what's e point if you can't give it the time and attention it deserves?

I agree with you on that actually, especially the last bit, it's good to have at least some fucking point of reference, it doesn't even have to be that specific but you gotta know a little something. Like Two Virgins, my interpretation of it was centred on it being released as a piece of music, as an album when it's about as far as you can get from what would typically be considered music but because it was released as one thats where my whole interpretation came from, point being i knew something about it, if it was just a tape that someone gave me with no reference point it would probably just sound like someone left their tape recorder on in their kitchen by accident one day :lol:

Yeah, exactly! Man, I have to hear this record. I've never even heard of it? How do you know all this shit exists? I'm older than you I think so I SHOULD know more than I do! Oh, but don't forget I grew up in Australia, the country with the most philistines per capita. If it wasn't for my Dad, I would know a hell of a lot less than I do. :lol: Uuugh, I shudder to think what that would be like. Europe has a much better education system than Australia (and I count the UK part of Europe even though it technically isn't).

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, exactly! Man, I have to hear this record. I've never even heard of it? How do you know all this shit exists? I'm older than you I think so I SHOULD know more than I do! Oh, but don't forget I grew up in Australia, the country with the most philistines per capita. If it wasn't for my Dad, I would know a hell of a lot less than I do. :lol: Uuugh, I shudder to think what that would be like. Europe has a much better education system than Australia (and I count the UK part of Europe even though it technically isn't).

Like i said before, it ain't really much to listen to, it's literally just...the sounds in their kitchen :lol: But...y'know, it's conceptual art, it's not the physical thing, it's the governing concept or principle behind it. John and Yoko did a few things like that, like the box of smiles which was basically a box with a mirror in the bottom and they'd give it to people and the idea is when you open it you get the joke and it makes you laugh or smile and you're reflected back in this mirror, now the physical thing itself is worthless, it's just a box with a mirror in it, y'know? Or like, when John tells the story of how he first met Yoko it was at an art exhibition and there was a piece there where there was a stepladder underneath a magnifying glass tied to the ceiling and something written on the ceiling in very very tiny letters so you climb up the ladder and use the magnifying glass and in very small letters on the ceiling it said simply 'yes', apparently John thought this was fantastic cuz it was the most positive affirmative thing he'd seen in the whole exhibition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJxV0pbTPjg

There you go, thats the whole album. The original front cover is John and Yoko standing stark naked in front of a plain white background but apparently that was too risque for youtube so they've covered em up. The idea was that they were in love and, y'know, starting from scratch, like two virgins, bless em :)

Yeah Lenny its quite cool! Its surprising how 'musical' it is. I guess its deconstructed music. That's the basis of all music really isn't it? I was actually expecting a much sparser sound because if my kitchen is anything to go by there ain't much going on! I suppose it was quite calculated what sounds they would make and when, but still leaving an element of spontaneity to it. Your mind starts to build all kinds of pictures or images to go with it and they get really varied so it's spontaneous and kind of exciting, in a weird way.

Conceptual art is one of the hardest to grasp I think. It's really just the simplest example of creativity and how creativity grows to become something, anything. Like with the Two Virgins, I don't think people realise that no one is suggesting that you would play that every Sunday afternoon for a bit of leisure listening or in the car every night home from work, but just because it doesn't have a distinct melody, chorus, beginning end, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist in its own right and there is isn't beauty to it, or that it shouldn't influence the creation of other things whether that be an animate object or just a thought. Amazing really. But again, they don't explain any of this to anyone. There should be a sign or something at every gallery entrance reminding the patrons to open their minds and leave all the mental baggage at the door before they enter. I reckon some people at least might do so and actually get something out of it. :)

By the way, the cover looks like they're standing in a tub of custard. :lol: it's still got that cool 60s kind of style to it though. Everything was so beautiful back then :sigh:

Guest Len B'stard

You know, you're the only person of the scores of people i've tried to get into Two Virgins that has responded like you have, i think it's wonderful. Every single other person without fail have said that it's a complete load of shit with absolutely no value whatsoever when to me it's one of the greatest albums ever or at least one thats very important to me.

It's very difficult for me to explain but that album came about in a very key time in my musical development and had the effect of opening my mind SOOOO much to new music to the point where i'm at a place right now where i'd give absolutely anything a go. It's just so precious to me as a piece of art for that reason because it just blew my understanding of what is or isn't art/music wide open, bearing in mind i first came across Two Virgins at a reasonably young age. So cool to see someone diggin' it.