Yoko Ono performs....

Vincent Vega

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that everyone finds every other reason aside from 'they fell in love' palleable says something about us all. As far as the in's and out's of her motives or whatever, i dunno, thats something I can't really judge one way or the other not knowing them, i'm handed the explanation that they fell in love and thats good enough for me, it's sort of pheriphery to me to be honest, whats important to me is the work.

The soap opera aspect is the least interesting aspect to me and the least important. The oppertunist comment could be closer to the truth than anything else and i mean that in the positive way, by their own admission during the peace campaign they siezed oppertunities to get the message out there i.e the bed in, classic oppertunism.

Didn't she work with Gustav Metzger earlier on?

Yoko gave John confidence to leave The Beatles,and at the time, collaborating with your wife, in the alpha dog world of rock and roll, was pretty unusual. I thought it was brilliant how John used the media at that time, he prob. would've made a reality show after the breakup of the band, if all the footage shot around that time is any indication.

Guest Len B'stard

I think the fact that everyone finds every other reason aside from 'they fell in love' palleable says something about us all. As far as the in's and out's of her motives or whatever, i dunno, thats something I can't really judge one way or the other not knowing them, i'm handed the explanation that they fell in love and thats good enough for me, it's sort of pheriphery to me to be honest, whats important to me is the work.

The soap opera aspect is the least interesting aspect to me and the least important. The oppertunist comment could be closer to the truth than anything else and i mean that in the positive way, by their own admission during the peace campaign they siezed oppertunities to get the message out there i.e the bed in, classic oppertunism.

Yoko gave John confidence to leave The Beatles,and at the time, collaborating with your wife, in the alpha dog world of rock and roll, was pretty unusual. I thought it was brilliant how John used the media at that time, he prob. would've made a reality show after the breakup of the band, if all the footage shot around that time is any indication.

Damn man, i never thought of it like that but you're bang on with that man, he even says in the imagine movie that he was making like an on-going video diary of his life.

Damn man, i never thought of it like that but you're bang on with that man, he even says in the imagine movie that he was making like an on-going video diary of his life.

I think he stopped documenting after "Imagine", and the media just did it for him when he did "Sometime in NYC", and was starting it up again during the "Double Fantasy" sessions. I do wonder what he and Yoko would've done in the 80s, I think as a performer, she would've been more credible as far as music goes, because she was getting good reviews on "Double Fantasy". But he would've been apologizing and taking credit for creating reality TV.

I like "Approximate Infinite Universe", "A Story", and "Rising". The stuff she did around "Double Fantasy" is good. "Season of Glass" is more her "Plastic Ono Band" than "Plastic Ono Band" was. "Fly" is underrated. The "Walking on Thin Ice" shows she's not a hack and had some good songs. I mean, she's in the same league as Bjork, who people either love or hate, no middle ground.

I kind of wish she had done something with Damo Suzuki and Can back in the early 70s, because that audience was more up her alley, and I think a Lennon/Ono collaboration with Can would've been unbelievable, East meets West. What I didn't like is what Zappa talked about, basically restructuring his songs and taking full credit for it. Not cool.

The biggest outrage is when Wenner pushes for her to be inducted to the RRHOF.

Guest Len B'stard
I think he stopped documenting after "Imagine", and the media just did it for him when he did "Sometime in NYC", and was starting it up again during the "Double Fantasy" sessions. I do wonder what he and Yoko would've done in the 80s, I think as a performer, she would've been more credible as far as music goes, because she was getting good reviews on "Double Fantasy". But he would've been apologizing and taking credit for creating reality TV.

Oh my boy would've held his end up and no fuckin' mistake. Guess we'll never know now..

I like "Approximate Infinite Universe", "A Story", and "Rising". The stuff she did around "Double Fantasy" is good. "Season of Glass" is more her "Plastic Ono Band" than "Plastic Ono Band" was. "Fly" is underrated. The "Walking on Thin Ice" shows she's not a hack and had some good songs. I mean, she's in the same league as Bjork, who people either love or hate, no middle ground.

I'm suprised you're aware of all that stuff man, i got the impression you didn't think so much of her. I don't think anybody on this earth could accuse Yoko of being a hack, she was brilliant!

I kind of wish she had done something with Damo Suzuki and Can back in the early 70s, because that audience was more up her alley, and I think a Lennon/Ono collaboration with Can would've been unbelievable, East meets West.

Her and Damo, now i think about it, from your mentioning, have a similar kind lilting quality to their vocals...and also, he was suitably mental for the purpose too. I think Yoko scared a lot of people, i remember Klaus Voorman in some interview going he was happy to get the call from John and went right in but he was also a bit like...wary about the freaky aspect of what Yoko being involved by result in in terms of the work. But thats a brilliant little association you made there, they even kinda look the same, don't they? :lol:

What I didn't like is what Zappa talked about, basically restructuring his songs and taking full credit for it. Not cool.

I'm not aware of Zappa, i never got into his stuff, never heard any...at all really so i'm not really sure what you're talking about but i'm hugely interested, whats all that about man? :)

The biggest outrage is when Wenner pushes for her to be inducted to the RRHOF.

Wenner had a major boner for John and Yoko so i can imagine him saying that. What would the case of eligibility be though? Influence on Lennon, influence on like...certain aspects of punk? I dunno...to be honest i think the HOF is a big shithouse anyway, nothing i've ever really had any interest in. But the Zappa bits caught my attention hugely, whats all that about?

And whats Zappa like as an artist generally? Got any reccomendations for me, any particular album you might reccomend?

I think you can find the You Tube interview where he talked about being ripped off by John and Yoko.

Zappa's not for everyone, but I would start off with "Strictly Commercial" and "Have I Offended Someone" for an overview. I think there's different sides to him, the avant garde composer, the guitar solos, politically incorrect songs and satire, the musicianship of the Mothers and the band that would become Missing Persons, the producer of Capt Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica", and just some good old fashioned rock 'n roll.

Zappa wasn't into drugs (except cigarettes and coffee, both of which he did excessively), but had a sharp but quirky wit. Read "The Frank Zappa Book", because you don't have to like the music to think it's a good read. A little bit of a bio, a little bit of commentary on the music business and the government. He talked about why he chose to work in Los Angeles even though he had an ongoing love-hate relationship with the people there and the city itself.

On the Rock Hall - you have Sonic Youth, Lady Gaga, B52s and Flaming Lips citing her as an influence. The question is if the committee feels the same way. I'm sure there's artists Wenner would like in that haven't been. There's a legit reason to induct her, but I know it would piss so many people off because it would come off as Wenner showing favoritism.

Some people do think Yoko's a talentless hack that married into money, but anyone who looked at the bigger picture knows she's done way more as an artist.

Edited by dalsh327

Guest Len B'stard

I'll be sure and check those out sir, thank you :) Whats his most abrasive out there album? Captain Beefheart is someone i had never heard of until some point in the late 90s when i read John Lydons autobiography and he said that he loved this guy called Captain Beefheart and an album of his called Trout Mask Replica, which i haven't heard to this day but i went right down to CD Warehouse with £10 looking for anything by Captain Beefheart and i bought this random album called Unconditionally Guaranteed but to be honest with you i didn't think so much of it but again, that was almost 15 years ago so i should probably give him another go. The name Trout Mask Replica stuck in my head just cuz it's so fuckin' unusual.

I'll be sure and check those out sir, thank you :) Whats his most abrasive out there album? Captain Beefheart is someone i had never heard of until some point in the late 90s when i read John Lydons autobiography and he said that he loved this guy called Captain Beefheart and an album of his called Trout Mask Replica, which i haven't heard to this day but i went right down to CD Warehouse with £10 looking for anything by Captain Beefheart and i bought this random album called Unconditionally Guaranteed but to be honest with you i didn't think so much of it but again, that was almost 15 years ago so i should probably give him another go. The name Trout Mask Replica stuck in my head just cuz it's so fuckin' unusual.

I don't think the music's abrasive, his humor is.

I'd prob. start off with "Safe as Milk", "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" and "Clear Spot" on Capt Beefheart.

Guest Len B'stard

I'd prob. start off with "Safe as Milk", "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" and "Clear Spot" on Capt Beefheart.

I started listening to his best of like you said, y'know, he's really really really REALLY good! I got a couple of instant favorites but top of the list is Cosmik Debris. I haven't even listened to his best of all the way through and it's pretty fuckin brilliant what he's doing, the chorus to Cosmik Debris makes me laugh! Saw this thing, 200 Motels, always known of it through my fandom of Keith Moon but never checked it out cuz i heard he ain't much in it but now i'm kinda digging Zappa i might give it a shot. And y'know, now i think about it, he's in Head, The Monkees movie too, isn't he? Doesn't he come up to Peter or Mike and go "the younger generations look to you for guidance" or something? Did i imagine that? I can't remember, its been so long since i seen that movie.

I also looked up that thing of him saying John and Yoko ripped him off, quite interesting. And you say this dude never did no kinda drugs?

Edited by sugaraylen

I started listening to his best of like you said, y'know, he's really really really REALLY good! I got a couple of instant favorites but top of the list is Cosmik Debris. I haven't even listened to his best of all the way through and it's pretty fuckin brilliant what he's doing, the chorus to Cosmik Debris makes me laugh! Saw this thing, 200 Motels, always known of it through my fandom of Keith Moon but never checked it out cuz i heard he ain't much in it but now i'm kinda digging Zappa i might give it a shot. And y'know, now i think about it, he's in Head, The Monkees movie too, isn't he? Doesn't he come up to Peter or Mike and go "the younger generations look to you for guidance" or something? Did i imagine that? I can't remember, its been so long since i seen that movie.

I also looked up that thing of him saying John and Yoko ripped him off, quite interesting. And you say this dude never did no kinda drugs?

I actually like the clip of Mike Nesmith and Frank Zappa from The Monkees show interviewing each other.

The songs were too complicated to play high and he was too demanding for anyone to just chill out or slack off.

They were motiviated to keep creating, keep busy, stay sharp.

(This animated video also applies to GNR)

Guest Len B'stard

Pretty fuckin' impressive actually. Listened to his Greatest Hits almost all the way through now and it's all fuckin' top drawer stuff man then again i guess it is a Greatest Hits. Gonna get a hold of his debut album, Freak Out i think it's called? See what it's sayin'. Thanks so much for turning me onto this guy, he's someone i've been aware of since forever...make you wonder y'know, just by hearing his shit you can see an influence on the likes of...The Butthole Surfers, Weird Al (although whether or not the last one can be construed as a compliment i dunno :lol:).

Pretty fuckin' impressive actually. Listened to his Greatest Hits almost all the way through now and it's all fuckin' top drawer stuff man then again i guess it is a Greatest Hits. Gonna get a hold of his debut album, Freak Out i think it's called? See what it's sayin'. Thanks so much for turning me onto this guy, he's someone i've been aware of since forever...make you wonder y'know, just by hearing his shit you can see an influence on the likes of...The Butthole Surfers, Weird Al (although whether or not the last one can be construed as a compliment i dunno :lol:).

They just started a re-release project of the back catalog. Not sure if that includes some of the re-recordings he did for Ryko in the 80s.