Harry Potter

Dan H.

So, the movies are awful, but I want to discuss the books, particularly the seventh.

I was incredibly disappointed in the seventh book, but none of my friends agree with me, here are some of my thoughts

Spoilers below:

The Deathly Hallows I thought was a completely useless plot point. The seventh book should have been about wrapping up the previous books, not introducing an entirely new plot, which contradicts most of the sixth books and kind of ruins the appeal of magic in general.

The destruction of the horocruxs was absurdly rushed, I liked how they drew out the whole destroying the locket sequence, but then they kind of blew through the cup, tiara, and snake horocruxs like they were nothing. All the other horocruxs were incredibly powerful and difficult to defeat, and almost every single one of the earlier ones caused someone to die or caused tremendous pain and anguish (Dumbledore, The entire events of The Chamber of Secrets, Sirius's brother, etc). So how is it likely that they could destroy the cup and tiara without any kind of drama or intense fight.

The quick deaths of some very important characters like Lupin, Tonks, Mad Eye, The Weasly brother, and others were almost insulting, and the battle of Hogwarts was a giant mess.

Voldemorts death was more anticlimactic than the ending of Transformers 2.

And finally, JK Rowling's biggest 'fuck you' was the epilogue, what a giant pile of fucking garbage.

Second worst book in the series IMO, are there any Harry Potter fags on here that want to discuss this series with me?

My book rating:

4>3>6>1>2>7>5

Edited by NormalGuns

I just got the feeling Rowling tried her best to make her books longer than the last to hype them as being good.

I liked the books when I was younger. I'm not sure about them now.

I agree, to an extent.

I dunno I still enjoy the books, they're a really fun fantasy read, and really easy to get into.

They kind of evolved book by book with the aging of the original audience, which is a good thing I think.

Agreed on all your points about the last book, especially the Deathly Hallows being unnecessary, they hardly come into it and the only use for them is the Elder Wand at the end which was not needed. Especially as the Hallows were not needed to destroy the Horcruxes.

Half of it is just them walking and nothing happening, then by the time they start destroying the horcruxes they get taken out in rapid succession and the ending was anti-climactic.

For me the books go: 6>3>4>1>7>2>5

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur

I'll plus 1 on the 5th book being the worst.

I don't even have words for that garbage. Rowling must have been on her period the entire time she wrote that book or something.

Also the idea of the Elder Wand in the seventh book made me uncomfortable. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of training and becoming wise with magic if you can just own a wand that is unbeatable?

Also if it's unbeatable, how do people carrying the Elder Wand always get their asses handed to them in the last book? It seems like it is never shown how powerful the Elder Wand is. It is just implied that it is indestructible, but then it is never shown at all as being any more powerful than a regular wand in the books or film.

Edited by NormalGuns

i remember the time the 7th book came out most people were disappointed and some were suggesting that it felt like the book was rushed.

Some people were also of the opinion that the books were mainly written for kids and they probably didnt see the glaring plot holes and probably loved the book just the same,

it did feel like it was rushed. maybe she just wanted to get it over with? as for as your objection to new objects being introduced for the first time in Deathly Hollows... well that is how each book was written. each book had a plot device and that particular book revolved around it. Rowllings was merely following the traditions.

But I loved the prologue :D ... i think i read somewhere that it was the first thing she had ever written for the Harry Potter series. it really was well thought of.

Personally i liked the the 6th book the best. Flight At The Lighting Tower being my favorite chapter.

Edited by Ketan

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Shit, it's been years since I read the books. I enjoyed the seventh book as well, although I thought it was rushed at the end. I remember that Crabbe or Goyle died when the tiara was destroyed. By that devil fire (think it was called that) they made.

The snake should definitely have been harder to kill and it's ridiculous how we didn't get to see how the cup was destroyed when Ron and Hermione (spell?) destroyed it. I also agree that the whole death hallows was confusing and not necessary to have there as they didn't have any real part in the story, more than to fill it out and make it all confusing. I didn't get half of it until I read the story a second time. Maybe that's just my reading comprehension though. Oh well... :lol:

The whole "Harry potter dies and then comes back to life" was a bit odd to me. Cant remember the book too well now, but in the movie Dumbledore says he can go back if he wants because the only part of him that died was the connection to Voldemort.

So why was Harry in this dream sequence at 9 3/4's?

If he didn't die because he had the resurrection stone, the movie has a huge hole because he drops it before he accepts death.

The whole "Harry potter dies and then comes back to life" was a bit odd to me. Cant remember the book too well now, but in the movie Dumbledore says he can go back if he wants because the only part of him that died was the connection to Voldemort.

So why was Harry in this dream sequence at 9 3/4's?

If he didn't die because he had the resurrection stone, the movie has a huge hole because he drops it before he accepts death.

He didn't die because he was the 7th horcrux which is why he had a link to Voldermort, after Voldermort "killed" Harry he destroyed the part of his soul that was in Harry. Then Harry was given a choice whether to move on or come back.

It pains me when people still don't get the whole Harry/Edler Wand/Horcrux thing. I mean come on, it is so simple it just seems complex.

I have always enjoyed the seventh book. The films were so-so. I liked the first half of the first film. The second was okay, needed editing. The third was shit. The fourth was okay, felt like a BBC special, the fifth and sixth were enjoyable, I liked the editing of the formal and the cinematography of the latter was stunning. Should have won the Oscar over fucking Avatard. The last two films were by far the best.

fuck crap. Rowling was influenced to much by the movies in writing of her books from 5 onwards. 6 was shitty but would always be so because it bridges 5 and 7 which involve the rise of the Lord V. 7 I agree was poor and very rushed, I think Harry should have died with Lord V IMO. the best two books were the 3 and 4 although 2 was very clever and of course 1 is a classic. Movies aside from 3 are dogshit.