Will Axl's Voice Recover?

Graeme

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything after '06 is lightyears ahead of '01-'02. Even the vast majority of 2012, you listen to any performance of Jungle from this tour and listen to it at Rio 2001, apart from the opening scream it pales in comparison.

Yup! I did enjoy the 01-02 voice, but then he returned to the Hammerstein my jaw dropped! His voice was amazing! I think his voice was pretty solid when I went to the joint this month.

he'll always be able to do what he wants in the studio

Not sure about that - the vocals on the Chinese Democracy album were pretty weak.

MWAAAA HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAR WEAK he says!!

Hilarious!

His Vocals on Angel Down were much better.

I think his CD Vox were way too low in the mix making them appear week. "Nobody Owes You"

Guest RonMexico82

His vocals on Angel Down sounded more like the Axl we know. I don't like his vocals on Chinese Democracy. The only songs that sound "normal" are TWAT, the verses on Better, IRS, SOD, Prostitute.

Riad, CD, Scraped, Shacklers, Madagascar and Catcher annoy my ears.

Repeating myself here but there's so much horse shit that continuously gets posted.

It's obviously a choice on his part. In 2010 he sang e.g. the chorus of This I Love using his chest voice with full rasp. Since 2011 he has hit those notes using falsetto with no rasp. Why? Because if he carried on singing the way he did in 2010 to please us he'd have no range, falsetto or otherwise, left in a few years. Just about everyone apart from Ali would much rather hear This I Love the way he sang it in 2010 but the reality is if he wants to preserve the falsetto he uses to hit the high notes these days into his 60s then he has to avoid screeching at full power with his chest and head voice.

One thing nobody has ever mentioned in regards to him sounding so amazing at the age of 48 is that he took seven years off in his 30s. And if you discount the tame falsetto singing he did at relatively few dates in 2001-2002 then he actually took twelve years off during his absolute prime.

I very much doubt that had he toured hard in 95-96, 98-99, 01-02 that he'd have been able to do what he did in 2010.

I've no doubt that he could still pull off another touring year like 2010 if he wanted to, he's just erring on the side of longevity, since touring is his bread and butter.

As I said before, the only thing that bothers me about it is that he doesn't prepare and sing hard when he's on tv/stream in front of millions and that he can't be arsed to work at songs like Prostitute, Catcher and Twat to get some great live versions down for posterity.

Edited by Jordan Rose

His vocals on Angel Down sounded more like the Axl we know. I don't like his vocals on Chinese Democracy. The only songs that sound "normal" are TWAT, the verses on Better, IRS, SOD, Prostitute.

Axl created better vocals in a couple hours than he did in 10 years with CD

Axl created better vocals in a couple hours than he did in 10 years with CD

I always thought his voice sounded its most, um, "Axly" on the album Chinese Democracy in the bridge of Sorry, where he sings "Got all the answers, You Know everything, well nobody asked you..."

Now that Hostess is out of business maybe he will stop eating so many twinkies causeing him to lose some weight and get in shape. That would probably help his voice.

Would it really? In 2010 he wasn't exactly thin either and pulled out some of the best vocals ever...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=relmfu&v=qSW1MVrHfUA

For those who say he gets stronger as tours go on, watch this especially from 6.50 mins, this I think was the 3rd or 4th show from 2009 when he we on fire, any of the videos from this gig are unbelievable why is he not singing like this now, you can hear the power that he just holds off on now, and he doesn't sound the same or as good.