Guitar Question

Guest Len B'stard

Guest Len B'stard

OK, you got a song right, you look for a youtube tutorial and there's like 40 of em all doing the song song 40 different ways...which ones the right way? I mean, i get it you can play songs different ways but how'd you know which ones the one on the album? By listening to it and developing an ear for that shit i guess but if you're at beginner level or what have you then how the fuck you supposed to be able to suss that shit out?

OK, you got a song right, you look for a youtube tutorial and there's like 40 of em all doing the song song 40 different ways...which ones the right way? I mean, i get it you can play songs different ways but how'd you know which ones the one on the album? By listening to it and developing an ear for that shit i guess but if you're at beginner level or what have you then how the fuck you supposed to be able to suss that shit out?

By not trying to play it when you're still a beginner you plank! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

By not trying to play it when you're still a beginner you plank!

Well it don't get much easier than The Passenger by Iggy Pop Dazey :lol:

Well... you could say all of them. It's not like pro artists doesn't play complete different versions of their own songs live. I dare you to find 2 Paradise City videos with the same solo (old or new band). Impossible, I tell ya.

I had this kind of neurotic obsession with correct tabs, but after hearing my own Idols playing it "wrong" I chilled the fuck out. If they can't memorize their own shit why should I? :shrugs:

Just play whatever sounds good to you.

Just don't post it on YT. Stupid fanboys will spam the shit out of you.

Guest Len B'stard

Well... you could say all of them. It's not like pro artists doesn't play complete different versions of their own songs live. I dare you to find 2 Paradise City videos with the same solo (old or new band). Impossible, I tell ya.

I had this kind of neurotic obsession with correct tabs, but after hearing my own Idols playing it "wrong" I chilled the fuck out. If they can't memorize their own shit why should I? :shrugs:

Just play whatever sounds good to you.

Just don't post it on YT. Stupid fanboys will spam the shit out of you.

Cool man, thank you, thats kinda the sense i was looking for :)

If you can't read tab yet, learn it. It's prolly the best written way to communicate guitar playing information.

....with the exception of learning to read music....

Reading music is a very good skill but the thing is that tabs, unlike notation, show you the exact strings and frets used in a piece.

Just a heads up. There are "Learn To Play Guns N' Roses" DVD's by Lick Library out there. But they're expensive in my opinion. You can find good torrents of both Volume 1. And I know there's a torrent of Vol 2 out there somewhere!

If you can't read tab yet, learn it. It's prolly the best written way to communicate guitar playing information.

....with the exception of learning to read music....

Reading music is a very good skill but the thing is that tabs, unlike notation, show you the exact strings and frets used in a piece.

Agreed. It's definitely an asset to learn to read music if you want to make a career out of it (like teaching, for example) but in general, tabs are the way to go especially when just starting out.

Lenny, there is no right way. There's so many different ways to play a single note, and because the guitar has them horizontally and vertically, sometimes you can play the exact same notes and chords but be fingering the frets a different way.

It's all a matter of comfort, if you're more comfortable moving your fingers than your hands then play horizontally across the frets, if you're more comfortable moving your hands and arm, then play vertically.

There are many different 'versions' of some songs in tab form. Since you're beginning I'd say go for chord tabs, master the chords and strumming pattern/rhythm of each song (the skeleton) before you start putting meat on the bones with licks and solos and what not. Eventually you're get an ear for the songs and will be able to pick out which tab of the song sounds the best to you.

Someone recommended ultimate guitar.com and I agree, check that site out and go for the highest rated tabs. Typically they are reliable.

I agree here. My friends who actually took lessons and learned "proper" technique hate the fact that I use whatever I felt was comfortable when I'm playing. I finger chords differently, don't put my thumb behind the neck, and don't bother with theory. And I'm awesome.