Moments of brilliance

zepsun

There are many times when you see a live performance and think 'wow!' or get goosebumps. These are two i think of off the top of my head:

Knockin On Heaven's Door - Slash's descending, clean guitar line. So groovy, and perfect, even though 10 minutes of KOHD was sometimes tough to get through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhSPuYgDwo

9:23 - 9:33

Coma - Axl knew the right words that matched the right emotion, which matched the right scream. 'PLEASE UNDERSTAND ME!' - brilliant.

3:28 - 3:33

What are some of your 'holy fuck' moments, Marc?

The Street Scene SEpt 28, 1985. There were about 2,000 rowdy people there and the band delivered. Before this gig the band had only played for about 200 people. This was also Slash's first gig using a Les Paul. The band handled the crowd like they were the stones. The Santa Monica Civic Aug 30, 1986 was also one of those moments this time playing for about 5,000 people. After these 2 gigs, I knew that they were going to do well as a touring band and not just a recording band.

Street Scene

post-37284-0-95773600-1345216619_thumb.j

Santa Monica civic

post-37284-0-04519200-1345216701_thumb.j

That's a pretty good opening scream Marc. lol

These are non-GNR related, but Steven Tyler also does the same thing to me:

Lean on Me. Sounds like he isn't too familiar with the verses, but he nails the choruses.

at 2:46 - 2:53 is like HOLY F%$K!

And 3:57 onward, it's so good.

What it Takes - Live - OMFG

0:44-0:45 is just mind blowing....

And nothing has giving me more goosebumps than the end section:

4:51 until the end.

What do you think of those? Must have been pretty exciting to see Aerosmith and GNR onstage in Paris 92.

Edited by zepsun

Just about any Stones show from the Mick Taylor era or even many of the 70's ROn Woods era shows but especially the 1969 U.S. Tour shows.

If I could go back in time for just one concert the 1969 Madison Square Garden concert that they filmed for the Gimme Shelter documentary would be high on the list.

Although the Guns N Roses shows I attended at the L'Amour in Brooklyn and especially the NYC first Ritz show in 1987 are right up there as brilliant......

Edited by classicrawker

This is quite possibly my favourite GNR performance of all time.

3rd verse onwards - Axl's voice is fuckin unreal

LA

Love when he zones out like this during a song.Wish I have a fucking time machine.I was one of the unfortunate ones that didn't get to see Guns live.....I was like 13 or 14(1990-91) right when Illusions came out.But had love the band since Appetite had blown up.So guess i was about 10 almost 11 yrs old.

Edited by SweetRose

LA

Yep, I've always loved that one too. Another one is the acoustic version of Don't Cry where the stupid bitches in the crowd are talking the entire time. The band plays their ass off and Axl gives these chill-inducing vocals during the climax of the song. What I loved about it is that the band didn't let the disrespectful crowd bother them, they just kept right on playing and kicked ass. The other thing I love is that it shows just how unknown the band was at the time and yet there they were playing one of their most iconic songs for a crowd that had no clue who they were. Another thing I love about this is it shows a humble side to Axl in the early days before his ego went nuts. He politely asks for the lights to be dimmed instead of being a complete jerk about it.

LA

Yep, I've always loved that one too. Another one is the acoustic version of Don't Cry where the stupid bitches in the crowd are talking the entire time. The band plays their ass off and Axl gives these chill-inducing vocals during the climax of the song. What I loved about it is that the band didn't let the disrespectful crowd bother them, they just kept right on playing and kicked ass. The other thing I love is that it shows just how unknown the band was at the time and yet there they were playing one of their most iconic songs for a crowd that had no clue who they were. Another thing I love about this is it shows a humble side to Axl in the early days before his ego went nuts. He politely asks for the lights to be dimmed instead of being a complete jerk about it.

Marc, did you shoot the above video at the Central?

The Street Scene SEpt 28, 1985. There were about 2,000 rowdy people there and the band delivered. Before this gig the band had only played for about 200 people. This was also Slash's first gig using a Les Paul. The band handled the crowd like they were the stones. The Santa Monica Civic Aug 30, 1986 was also one of those moments this time playing for about 5,000 people. After these 2 gigs, I knew that they were going to do well as a touring band and not just a recording band.

Street Scene

post-37284-0-95773600-1345216619_thumb.j

Santa Monica civic

post-37284-0-04519200-1345216701_thumb.j

Cool Marc love your storys mate thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

did shoot the video at the Central and the Central told me I couldn't shoot it and Axl stood by me and said then we don't play. So even back then Axl did what he thought he had to, to get things done. By the way I wish that he didn't ask for the light to be turned down because the light guy turned them down too much and ruined the the video for the next 2 songs

did shoot the video at the Central and the Central told me I couldn't shoot it and Axl stood by me and said then we don't play. So even back then Axl did what he thought he had to, to get things done. By the way I wish that he didn't ask for the light to be turned down because the light guy turned them down too much and ruined the the video for the next 2 songs

Marc,

Do you know how it is that certain videos you shot like the Roxy and Central shows ended up being circulated in the bootleg community, while other things like the early audio recordings you made of the shows documented in Reckless Road never did?

I was also wondering, I can imagine all the legal and/or personal issues that must be involved in releasing any of those early GNR recordings but is it at all possible that Slash would ever agree to let you release any of the Road Crew or Tidus Sloan material either as complete shows or maybe a few complete songs atleast, or is that just something he wouldn't really want circulating for "everybody" to hear?

Thanks !

one of my favourite shows:

What a setlist:

set: Out Ta Get Me, Welcome To The Jungle, Think About You, Rocket Queen, Move To The City, Nightrain, My Michelle, Don't Cry, You're Crazy, Back Off Bitch, Anything Goes [Alt. Lyrics], Mama Kin, Paradise City, Nice Boys, Heartbreak Hotel, Shadow Of Your Love, Jumpin' Jack Flash

rock3

I am working on a Slash documentary and I'm sure there will be some of that in it.

Thanks for the quick response Marc ! That's the first I've heard of the documentary, good luck with it, don't know how far on down the road that'll be but I can't wait to see that ! When do the pre orders start? :D

You obviously have such a treasure trove of priceless material concerning GNR but it will definitely be great to hear a little more of the beginnings of Slash as a guitar player and performer pre gnr. As far as I know you're the only one to document his start and pre GNR material, or atleast the only person who has such a thorough experience and archive of his early music. Your insight and voice concerning the beginning of Slash/GNR is definitely the most trustworthy and interesting as far as I'm concerned, can't thank you enough for what you've done to contribute to the band and to the fans over the years. The idea of you doing a documentary.... rock4

Hope you'll talk in the documentary a little about his quick stint in Black Sheep .I'm also very curious as to how he sounded with them, was the style similar to how he played in GNR or was it a totally different feel?

And I don't mean to be a greedy question hog but I've heard both Slash and Duff say in interviews before ( I'm paraphrasing) that they've never really been big on going back and listening/watching old GNR tapes . Just curious, do Axl and the other guys have copies of the recordings you made over the years ?

Edited by Nobody

I am working on a Slash documentary and I'm sure there will be some of that in it.

Thanks for the quick response Marc ! That's the first I've heard of the documentary, good luck with it, don't know how far on down the road that'll be but I can't wait to see that ! When do the pre orders start? :D

You obviously have such a treasure trove of priceless material concerning GNR but it will definitely be great to hear a little more of the beginnings of Slash as a guitar player and performer pre gnr. As far as I know you're the only one to document his start and pre GNR material, or atleast the only person who has such a thorough experience and archive of his early music. Your insight and voice concerning the beginning of Slash/GNR is definitely the most trustworthy and interesting as far as I'm concerned, can't thank you enough for what you've done to contribute to the band and to the fans over the years. The idea of you doing a documentary.... rock4

Hope you'll talk in the documentary a little about his quick stint in Black Sheep .I'm also very curious as to how he sounded with them, was the style similar to how he played in GNR or was it a totally different feel?

And I don't mean to be a greedy question hog but I've heard both Slash and Duff say in interviews before ( I'm paraphrasing) that they've never really been big on going back and listening/watching old GNR tapes . Just curious, do Axl and the other guys have copies of the recordings you made over the years ?

The Slash documentary is going to be a film and I'm only helping out on it. Its not my project. I will be talking in it. Slash's was able to play the Paul Gilbert licks when he was in Blacksheep but it was not really his style. Slash and Duff have never asked to look at any of the old stuff but I'm sure one day Duff will ask. I did make Axl a copy of all my Videos from 1986 and maybe a few from 1987 at the time I recorded them and as far as I know he still has them. Del James also has a copy of all my audio and Video that I made for him in 1994 while he was working on his GNR book. So Yes Axl has copies of all my old stuff.

one of my favourite shows:

What a setlist:

set: Out Ta Get Me, Welcome To The Jungle, Think About You, Rocket Queen, Move To The City, Nightrain, My Michelle, Don't Cry, You're Crazy, Back Off Bitch, Anything Goes [Alt. Lyrics], Mama Kin, Paradise City, Nice Boys, Heartbreak Hotel, Shadow Of Your Love, Jumpin' Jack Flash

rock3

That's a great one. I kinda wish Guns hadn't blown up as quickly as they did. Would have been cool if we got another year or so of club gigs out of them.

The Slash documentary is going to be a film and I'm only helping out on it. Its not my project. I will be talking in it. Slash's was able to play the Paul Gilbert licks when he was in Blacksheep but it was not really his style. Slash and Duff have never asked to look at any of the old stuff but I'm sure one day Duff will ask. I did make Axl a copy of all my Videos from 1986 and maybe a few from 1987 at the time I recorded them and as far as I know he still has them. Del James also has a copy of all my audio and Video that I made for him in 1994 while he was working on his GNR book. So Yes Axl has copies of all my old stuff.

Thanks again Marc for all of the info !! Sorry to hear the documentary isn't yours but will still definitely look forward to it. It's great to hear that you also have some 1987 shows on video. That's been one of the "missing link" type items I've always wanted as a GNR collector. There are so many great 87 shows on audio that have been circulating forever but I've always been frustrated and wondered why there are no 87 videos circulating . Thanks to you we even have some 86 videos but as far as I know the only live 87 video clips are from the snippets in that Night in the Jungle special. It must be great stuff, I can now hold out a little hope that maybe one of these days we'll get to see some type of 1987 footage, they were just blistering during their sets in that year !

I know it's not as old as some the stuff people are mentioning here, but the Bohemian Rhapsody with Queen and Elton John at the Freddie Mercury tribute was pretty awesome. I hadn't seen that in a while and caught it last night randomly on youtube. That Don't Cry is killer, too!

I know it's not as old as some the stuff people are mentioning here, but the Bohemian Rhapsody with Queen and Elton John at the Freddie Mercury tribute was pretty awesome. I hadn't seen that in a while and caught it last night randomly on youtube. That Don't Cry is killer, too!

That was my proudest moment of Axl. Seeing him come spinning out to finish the song.