Moments of brilliance

zepsun

Even by his own high standards, Axl really showed up at that Freddie Mercury tribute gig. I remember watching it on TV, and there was just this huge sense of anticipation for GNR to come on and do a set. That version of Paradise City (especially Axl's vocals) is still among the best the band ever did

Slash looks fuckin boss as well

LA

Edited by LA_0013

THe Ritz gig 1988 is pretty much a fine tuned 1987 GNR. I was so proud to see that the world will get to see the band when they did that gig.

You can't underestimate the importance of the Ritz gig on MTV. Unless you were a teenager in the 1980s, you can't understand the power and influence MTV had and there's an energy to that show that is truly out of this world. If you watch it, you see a lot of Adler. In his book, he said they featured him because he was nice to the crew, but I suspect that wasn't the reason. The reason was because he had the most MTV friendly vibe out of all the guys. People want to debate how good or bad Steven was as a drummer, but during the AFD era, he did a lot for that band as a performer that nobody remembers or even recognizes. For every 1 girl who had a magazine pin-up of Axl or Slash in her locker, there were 5 girls who had a pin-up of Steven. And if you had a pin-up of Izzy or Duff, you were one weird chick back in '88. I'm proud of that being on MTV too. It's something I can always turn to when the thought crosses my mind that everything in music today (especially MTV) has turned to crap.