Did Axl ever really like Slash?

MaryLouise

Marc, so much has been made of Axl's hatred of Slash over the last year especially with the Hall of Fame reunion and the Slash t-shirt at a GN'R show incident and all that, but I have to ask you, as someone who was a friend of Slash, long before Axl entered the picture, do you feel like Axl ever liked Slash as just one of the guys to begin with? History seems to have wrtten Axl and Slash as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but it seems to me, just as a very outisde observer, that Axl never really "loved' Slash as a guy or a friend. It seems to me (from all written evidence, interviews, etc.) as if Axl had a friend in Izzy, he had a middle man in Duff and then Slash and Steven came along. Axl never cared much for Steven (per Steven's book about being "bullied" by Axl), and as crazy as he might be, Axl isn't an idiot, so he saw that he had been paired with one of the greatest rock guitarists in the history of music with Slash, so he was happy to go with it... but it doesn't seem to me as if Axl ever "liked" Slash. What's your take on the relationship between Axl and Slash in the early days when the band was just starting out and the guys were just hanging out with each other and writing and rehearsing in the Gardner sweat box and playing gigs as they came along?

Edited by MaryLouise

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Axl really liked all the guys in the band in the early years. even in 1988 or 1989 and even 1991/1992 I would always see Axl sticking up for or showing off the members of the band Maybe later in the early 90's things may have changed to more of a partnership because they knew that needed each other to keep the band going.

I think Axl really liked all the guys in the band in the early years. even in 1988 or 1989 and even 1991/1992 I would always see Axl sticking up for or showing off the members of the band Maybe later in the early 90's things may have changed to more of a partnership because they knew that needed each other to keep the band going.

Not a lot of conviction and certainty in this answer Marc. At least, it's not as much as it would seem if Axl claimed that he spent hours on the phone "crying" trying to get Slash to not leave the band.

The 1987 CBGB post show interview always seems to stick out because there were at least 2 times where Axl got annoyed with Slash and snapped at him.

Edited by Carne_asaDA

In his book Slash kinda eludes to the fact that they weren't particularly close. He spells out that they weren't soulmates, which made me laugh.

In this interview (1990) I think he says their best friends but they don't really hang out that much but they call each other all the time to tell each other what they did during the day.

In his book Slash kinda eludes to the fact that they weren't particularly close. He spells out that they weren't soulmates, which made me laugh.

In this interview (1990) I think he says their best friends but they don't really hang out that much but they call each other all the time to tell each other what they did during the day.

I think Axl is talking about the band as a whole, he mentions both Izzy & Slash before this.

Not a lot of conviction and certainty in this answer Marc. At least, it's not as much as it would seem if Axl claimed that he spent hours on the phone "crying" trying to get Slash to not leave the band.

The 1987 CBGB post show interview always seems to stick out because there were at least 2 times where Axl got annoyed with Slash and snapped at him.

Perhaps W. Axl Rose is too complex a creature. You'll also notice in that interview that Axl bites Steven's head off about who he's signing albums for... at least he didn't kick Steven in the nuts, not that time anyway.

This is a fun interview. Their response to the question about Axl is interesting, and it was just 1988! The worst had yet to come! :lol:

Personally I get the impression that had Axl not liked Slash in the first place he wouldn't hate him so much now. :shrugs:

I agree, it's hard to think there would be so much hate if Axl had never liked Slash to begin with. Though I understand why this comes up, like I said in Arnold's sexual tension thread, people are perplexed by the intensity of the estrangement, so explanations range from them being lovers, to never having liked each other. We'll never really know, it could be both!

This is a fun interview. Their response to the question about Axl is interesting, and it was just 1988! The worst had yet to come! :lol:

Personally I get the impression that had Axl not liked Slash in the first place he wouldn't hate him so much now. :shrugs:

I agree, it's hard to think there would be so much hate if Axl had never liked Slash to begin with. Though I understand why this comes up, like I said in Arnold's sexual tension thread, people are perplexed by the intensity of the estrangement, so explanations range from them being lovers, to never having liked each other. We'll never really know, it could be both!

When Duff says "Oh God" at the end of the interview in regard to still being in the band 10 years from "now" with "now" being 1988, it's one of the most sincere glimpses into what was going on in that band. You can just hear it in the sound of his voice. Slash's feelings about Axl have always been pretty honest and out there, it's Axl's views that are never that clear. It's the rock-n-roll version of Citizen Kane. Somehow I can envision Axl being on his deathbed holding a guitar pick in his hand and uttering the word "top hat". :popcorn:

I don't think he had hate or hated Slash that much in the beginning.....I could be wrong.But from what we know about Axl,if he really hated Slash so bad from the beginning,I don't think we would have ever had GN'R with Slash in it.Axl doesn't seem to have much to do with people he doesn't like.

This seems like a good thread to ask. Marc, Could you please explain why Axl hates Slash. I honestly do not understand or perhaps it

was never said before, why he holds so much hatred towards him. Is it because Slash left the band? Perhaps because of the law suits?

Did Slash say something publicly to piss him off? I'm a die hard fan but this is one thing that I never understood. Any help on this would be great.

This seems like a good thread to ask. Marc, Could you please explain why Axl hates Slash. I honestly do not understand or perhaps it

was never said before, why he holds so much hatred towards him. Is it because Slash left the band? Perhaps because of the law suits?

Did Slash say something publicly to piss him off? I'm a die hard fan but this is one thing that I never understood. Any help on this would be great.

All of the above, Left the band Law suites and Saying things publicly

I think Axl really liked Slash. But in one or another way, it went wrong between the 2 of them, we all know that.

And there are only 2 people who know for sure what happened, and that are Axl and Slash.

I don't even think Axl and Slash know what happened, They both have very different versions of what went wrong. That is why if they really want the answers, they need a good middle man someone that does it for a living that can help both of them know what really went wrong.

marc, what's your opinion on this story,

could it be true? does axl reminisce on the old days with stories and fondness? does he have any kind words or is it just a bash fest? does slash do the same?

Edited by PITBOSS

Hey Marc, is it true that Axl helped out Slash to get clean from heroin during the late '80s?

marc, what's your opinion on this story,

could it be true? does axl reminisce on the old days with stories and fondness? does he have any kind words or is it just a bash fest? does slash do the same?

I don't know but it sounds like it could be real. Maybe it got a bit twisted but still could have happened

To me, the whole end of the band thing was mostly based on the out of control drug use and decision-making by Duff and Slash, who were both full blown alcoholics and coke addicts, marrying/divorcing penthouse girls and starlets, etc.

Can you blame Axl for wanting to formally secure the decision-making of the band, and make sure it doesn't partly fall into the hands of a stripper, playmate or some shady business manager from a strip mall who had good blow? Have you ever been sober and tried to talk to or reason with a drunk person? You have the same conversation over 3 days because they don't remember it. I don't think Slash or Duff fully realize how much their addictions had to do with the downfall of the band. Would you want decision-making of your life's work controlled by people who are fully addicted to sex, coke, booze, and prone to opiate binges? Slash and Duff can downplay it all they want, and blame it on the Megalomaniac Axl, but the proof is in the pace-maker and the pancreas explosion.... those things just don't happen to normal alkies or addicts, you have to be extreme to an bizzare level.

I don't blame Axl for getting fed-up with being the only sober person in the room, having to have the same coversations with his band mates three days in a row because they don't remember the first two, etc etc. Axl shares a part of the blame, sure, because he acts out and seems to become petulant and withdrawn when he doesn't get his way... but he had every right to secure the decision making of GNR after watching Duff and Slash for three years digress into full blown addicts.

Slash is now sober (supposedly) and yet doesn't seem to want to rectify that relationship which he knows was hampered by his addictions at the time (which is part of any sobriety program, which is why I say 'supposedly'). His only attempt at it that we know of is when drunk Perla and Slash went to Axl's in 07 (?). And it's like, yeah great idea.. show up drunk to Axl's house trying to make amends and settle your differences from back when you were a drunk. But he's sober now, and as far as we know hasn't reached out to Axl since. Slash talks a cool game, but he's never fully accepted or publicaly admitted how much his addictions had to do with the demise of the band in the 90's, even though I believe he's fully aware of it.

To me, the whole end of the band thing was mostly based on the out of control drug use and decision-making by Duff and Slash, who were both full blown alcoholics and coke addicts, marrying/divorcing penthouse girls and starlets, etc.

Can you blame Axl for wanting to formally secure the decision-making of the band, and make sure it doesn't partly fall into the hands of a stripper, playmate or some shady business manager from a strip mall who had good blow? Have you ever been sober and tried to talk to or reason with a drunk person? You have the same conversation over 3 days because they don't remember it. I don't think Slash or Duff fully realize how much their addictions had to do with the downfall of the band. Would you want decision-making of your life's work controlled by people who are fully addicted to sex, coke, booze, and prone to opiate binges? Slash and Duff can downplay it all they want, and blame it on the Megalomaniac Axl, but the proof is in the pace-maker and the pancreas explosion.... those things just don't happen to normal alkies or addicts, you have to be extreme to an bizzare level.

I don't blame Axl for getting fed-up with being the only sober person in the room, having to have the same coversations with his band mates three days in a row because they don't remember the first two, etc etc. Axl shares a part of the blame, sure, because he acts out and seems to become petulant and withdrawn when he doesn't get his way... but he had every right to secure the decision making of GNR after watching Duff and Slash for three years digress into full blown addicts.

Slash is now sober (supposedly) and yet doesn't seem to want to rectify that relationship which he knows was hampered by his addictions at the time (which is part of any sobriety program, which is why I say 'supposedly'). His only attempt at it that we know of is when drunk Perla and Slash went to Axl's in 07 (?). And it's like, yeah great idea.. show up drunk to Axl's house trying to make amends and settle your differences from back when you were a drunk. But he's sober now, and as far as we know hasn't reached out to Axl since. Slash talks a cool game, but he's never fully accepted or publicaly admitted how much his addictions had to do with the demise of the band in the 90's, even though I believe he's fully aware of it.

Total bullshit mate...neither Slash nor Duff ever missed a show due to their addictions which Axl cannot claim...Axl was weeks late to the UYI writing mission to Chicago...........he would not show up to the recording sessions and the band would have to send tapes to his house for him to listen to.. Axl was continuously late for shows...........If anything Slash and Duff were more reliable then Axl.

Axl did not have to cut the rest of the band out of ownership of the name. If he was worried about having to deal with spouses or family if any of them died the contract could have been written so that the share of the deceased member was split amoungst the living members..

The addiction excuse is just a smokescreen to try to justify Axl's meglomania and cutting his mates out of the picture.............

Total bullshit mate...neither Slash nor Duff ever missed a show due to their addictions which Axl cannot claim...Axl was weeks late to the UYI writing mission to Chicago...........he would not show up to the recording sessions and the band would have to send tapes to his house for him to listen to.. Axl was continuously late for shows...........If anything Slash and Duff were more reliable then Axl.

Axl did not have to cut the rest of the band out of ownership of the name. If he was worried about having to deal with spouses or family if any of them died the contract could have been written so that the share of the deceased member was split amoungst the living members..

The addiction excuse is just a smokescreen to try to justify Axl's meglomania and cutting his mates out of the picture.............

This is typical Duff/Slash retort: Axl was late to shows, Axl was late in Chicago, etc. Axl is late, yeah we got it. You're bringing up stuff from UYI and before, while I was talking about the state of Slash, Duff, Axl and the band once the UYI tour ended and they began trying to move forward.

Like I said, if you've ever had to try and communicate with full-blown alcoholic drug addicts then you'd understand. It's nauseating, frustrating and completely useless because you're talking to a shell of the person, in a f'd up state of mind, who will only remember pieces of the conversation. Axl had been doing this for nearly three years, so what I'm saying is I don't blame Axl for securing the band name and decision-making later on tour and then afterwards during their recording attempts (when Axl saw the addictions hadn't gotten better, in regards to Slash they got worse). I'd do the same thing.

Slash and Duff were wasted all-day, every day, all day long, all night long, week in, week out, year after year. I understand it takes some thinking out of the box because you've read Duff and Slashs' books, and that Axl-Megalomaniac view point sticks in everyone's heads. But read the pages where they explain their daily intake of 1.5 gallons of vodka (along with god only knows how much coke) while simultaneaously wondering why their communication with Axl became strained.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Not getting into any argument here, but you do realise that the name was signed over during the UYI tour? So what happened after that doesn't matter for what you're arguing for.

Not getting into any argument here, but you do realise that the name was signed over during the UYI tour? So what happened after that doesn't matter for what you're arguing for.

The name, yes, towards the end of the tour. But the new contract after the tour ended, during the attempts to record at the complex, seems to be the sticking point according to Slash. Which is exactly what I'm referring to.

I don't even think Axl and Slash know what happened, They both have very different versions of what went wrong. That is why if they really want the answers, they need a good middle man someone that does it for a living that can help both of them know what really went wrong.

But weren't middle men the problem in the first place? I get the impression that there was some sort of communication breakdown between them and part of the reason for that was that they talked to each other through middle men. If they ever are willing to sort it out, wouldn't it be better if they talked it out one-on-one? Face to face?

But weren't middle men the problem in the first place? I get the impression that there was some sort of communication breakdown between them and part of the reason for that was that they talked to each other through middle men. If they ever are willing to sort it out, wouldn't it be better if they talked it out one-on-one? Face to face?

THANK YOU! This is my point. You cannot communicate with full-blown alcoholic coke addicts. It's impossible. Duff and Slash can't even remember being in certain countries, or having played a show, and we expect them to be able to have coherent conversations with Axl? Communicaton break-down was a problem, but it wasn't just Dougie speaking for Axl, which is all that is ever focused on by Slash and Duff. It's their raging addictions and wasted-around-the-clock state of minds, also, which pulled their relationships with Axl apart, forcing him to restrcuture the band after watching his bandmates (and their decision-making) totally degenerate right in front of him for years.