Did Axl ever really like Slash?

MaryLouise

There is no one who can replace Axl

And that's why they never fired him, right? I'm sure he did plenty of shit to deserve getting canned. But like you said, at the end of the day he's one of a kind.

The truth is they were all very important to how the music sounded

I don't know how people can argue anything different (but they do). If one of them had actually died of hunger during the Seattle tour, you wouldn't be hearing SCOM the way you hear it on AFD (yes, even Steven Adler).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only got Welcome to the Jungle, SCOM, Estranged etc., because of all those guys. The songs MIGHT have had a similar structure if you only replaced the drummer. But having been in bands, I know the drummer does a lot for arrangement. Might not make up the riffs, but they take in a direction sometimes with the song that you never would have thought of rhythm-wise. So even changing one band member during the writing process, could have totally killed Appetite.

I totally believe, if they reunited, there would be an explosion of writing from all the discord and tension they had built up, and we would have albums as good as UYIs and App.

I totally believe, if they reunited, there would be an explosion of writing from all the discord and tension they had built up, and we would have albums as good as UYIs and App.

I don't think so. Everything on Appetite was about their lifestyle at the time. Being poor druggies/boozers and writing about that lifestyle is one thing. Being rich and pulling off something anywhere near as compelling is very difficult to do. A lot of the UYI material was written during the early days of the band when they were still struggling to get by.

• 6 months later...

When Duff says "Oh God" at the end of the interview in regard to still being in the band 10 years from "now" with "now" being 1988, it's one of the most sincere glimpses into what was going on in that band. You can just hear it in the sound of his voice. Slash's feelings about Axl have always been pretty honest and out there, it's Axl's views that are never that clear. It's the rock-n-roll version of Citizen Kane. Somehow I can envision Axl being on his deathbed holding a guitar pick in his hand and uttering the word "top hat". :popcorn:

I came across these and thought of your question.

Del James' interview with Axl Rip Magazine, 1992 mid- UYI Tour

DEL: When you and Slash aren't at each other's throats, you're really a force to be reckoned with.

AXL: Let me say something about us being at each other's throats: We haven't really been that way in the past year and a half. I love the guy. We're like opposite poles of energy, and we balance each other out. We push each other to work harder and complement each other that way. We had a run-in in Dayton [Ohio], because both myself and Dougie thought he said something shitty to me onstage. That was the night I cut my hand to the bone. Backstage we have monitors much like the ones onstage, and while I was back there dealing with my hand, I thought I heard him take a potshot at me. I wrapped my hand up in a towel and was like, "Let's get it taken care of, so I can finish the show." I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his f?!king ass in front of 20,000 people. That was f?!ked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite.

INTERVIEW: Do you think that having a relationship with a band has to do with the same things as having a relationship with a person?

AXL: Yes, l think so. Especially with Slash and it's definitely a marriage.

INTERVIEW: But a band is like a multiple marriage, right?

AXL: Yeah, it's kinda like a marriage and a half. Or a marriage and a household.

Given all that's gone on, it's strange to hear him talk about Slash like this. Though the first quote does revel his trigger temper, which goes some way to explain why people try to please him all the time.

From the 2011 LA Times interview:

"It was really a fight with me and Slash," says Rose of the forces that took down the band. "Izzy was doing the same thing, but the fight with me and Slash started the day I met him. He came in, popped my tape out and put his in and wanted me in his band. And I didn't want to join his band. We've had that war since Day 1."

I guess that this could be a result of looking back and choosing to see the worst. The quote above about the apology is interesting, I think it shows that whether he'll admit it or not he did feel some sort of bond back then.

• 4 months later...

I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his f?!king ass in front of 20,000 people. That was f?!ked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite.

back in the days when Axl was a hotheaded person, but also realize what are his mistakes...

I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his f?!king ass in front of 20,000 people. That was f?!ked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite.

back in the days when Axl was a hotheaded person, but also realize what are his mistakes...

Yea, the audio of that is intense.