BBF's solo spot on the summer tour.

izzydoezit

What do you think of the solo spot were BBF was singing his own song? I had the impression that most people around me were cringing during this particular part of the show, even to the point of being annoyed. The instrumental solo parts were already plenty and this song sounded pretty unfitting to the setlist and GNR mood in my opinion too.

Agreed about Motivation being a drag. I haven't seen Glad to be Here live (yet?), but it does seem very out of place. Should've done Normal, I think.

The song, given the context of his frame of mind (pissed off about touring while hurt, lateness, etc) also sort of leaves a sour taste, I guess? He goes on twitter rants and then when he's behind the mic he throws out "I'm so glad to be here I could slit my fuckin' wrists"? That's gonna leave a good impression :confused:

I enjoyed both Motivation and especially Glad To Be Here at the show I was to :thumbsup: as it's not mainstream-success song, not many people were singing along apart from myself, but I totally enjoyed it, Bumblefoot nailed it :xmasssanta: :thumbsup:

Agreed about Motivation being a drag. I haven't seen Glad to be Here live (yet?), but it does seem very out of place. Should've done Normal, I think.

The song, given the context of his frame of mind (pissed off about touring while hurt, lateness, etc) also sort of leaves a sour taste, I guess? He goes on twitter rants and then when he's behind the mic he throws out "I'm so glad to be here I could slit my fuckin' wrists"? That's gonna leave a good impression :confused:

It was a honest fit to his state of mind during the tour though and Axl does not apparently care what the guys play for solos. Here's BBF describing the song in 2008:

After getting off a tour, the transition back to civilian life ain't easy - life feels *wrong*, like it isn't yours and ya don't belong there. Within 12 hours, I'm going crazy, have even less tolerance for the little things that piss me off, need to drive faster than a shitty old Hyundai was meant to, and am at a loss on how to budget my time, re-learning what a day is and what it's suddenly supposed to consist of. "Glad To Be Here" came out of one of those moments where you're in the last place you'd want to be.

Like in the 80's at the DMV, when the lines went out the door, ya get to the window and the lady says there's another form to fill out, and you have to wait on line again for another 3 hours. Or traffic court, waitin' to see the judge. I think I've seen half the ones in NJ, one in Westchester, got out of having to sit in one in Virginia. But yeah, if you're ever in that spot, in that kinda traffic, in that kinda trouble, or with those kinds of people, think of the verses to this song, it'll say it all for ya.

Normal, Rockstar For A Day, Overloaded, Life Inside Your Ass, Thank You, Abnormal, Some Other Guy, Last Time, Dash, Invisible, etc. would be great solo spots too.

I enjoyed both Motivation and especially Glad To Be Here at the show I was to :thumbsup: as it's not mainstream-success song, not many people were singing along apart from myself, but I totally enjoyed it, Bumblefoot nailed it :xmasssanta: :thumbsup:

Agree.

for a solo spot they need to do something that would be appealing immediately to the crowd. E.g. both Richard's and DJ's solo spots have immediate effect as either melodic or otherwise enjojable. stinson should ditch his solo spot and ron should either compose something immediately appealing or do a cover of a classical or popular piece (e.g. turkish rondo by mozart or something)