Why new songs don't get a hot reception among casual fans at shows

Screamin' Demon

@rusty I dont really understand your question.

I have seen newgnr three times, all in detroit 02, 06, and last december. Last december was by far the best over all, new and old songs alike. In 02 and 06 it was quiet for all the new music, but last december some of the cd songs got close to as good of receptions as some of the old stuff. Maybe not quiet as good, but not bad. Maybe that had to dp with the fact that cd has been out for a while. If you can get past the fact slash and duff arnt there ot was an amazing concert. If you cant then its prolly just ok.

People have been making excuses for why the CD songs aren't well received by the public for years. Why not just accept that they aren't good enough to appeal to more than a handful of people on a message board that are blind fans that would like the songs no matter how they sounded?

This.

DJ playing TIL and Better is awful. Look at how much better this version of Better (with Finck) is than the usual 2009-12 ones:

Great. DJ sucks.

Edited by pi2loc

I don't think the reception is because the CD songs weren't good, but a good but not great album wasn't going to be enough to capture the publics attention after so long. Hell I don't I if the album was amazing that they would have been accepted. The album was never going to be accepted.

The reception at shows is a bit dull for one reason, no one has heard the songs. You could replace the 6-7 CD songs they play a night with the other 6-7 songs completely and the reaction will generally be the same.

new songs are never as popular as the classics. with any band. in gnr's case, i think they're especially harmed by the fact that the style of new songs is often totally different than the classics people came for.

I don't quite agree - every concert I go to outside of GnR - all the fans are into whatever new material they are playing and are there to see said material played