Maybe these gigs are the last

jonah

The Chinese tour kinda faded out. It became the: Let's play some Chinese songs, lot's of AFD's songs (because those are the best), and mix in cover tunes Tour.

Even the font style changed to look more like UYI era GN'R. Thinngs changed the moment Bucket and Robin quit and BF and Dj joined. Axl appeared to loose interest in the Chinese theme, and copy how Dj Ash was dressing, which had nothing to do with China.

I guess there might be something to this. It seems like the direction of the band was very much dependent on the players, and now with these vital CD guys gone, Axl's vision has taken a bullet. I hope he has figured out the new direction of the band and isn't lost in apathy and lack of motivation. I also hope he is comfortable releasing the rest of the music that was created with the ex-members even if they aren't around to flesh out the vision.

Personally, I don't mind going a bit back to the roots of GN'R, which I believe Dj on the writing team will help to do, as long as Axl brings the magic and elevates the songs beyond simplistic, generic rock. I am confident that Axl can do that. I was just never completely sold on the new direction of the early 2000s, but then again, I was never given much to work with.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

:shrugs:

I actually believe the band will release a new album in the future. I also hope the band will tour again near me in the future. So yes, it would make me (very temporarily) sad. I also enjoy the drama that is GN'R and would miss the greatest soap opera of music ever, if it ended.

Okay, no disagreeing with the last point :rofl-lol:

Yes, they would move on to like other music after a period of grief, I am sure. But why force that on people just because your highly subjective personal musical preferences collide with theirs? Some of them might never find a new band/artist they would enjoy as much, and hence you have bereaved them of something they will never get back. Just look at all those pathetic GN'R fans who still whine about the loss when the UYI lineup broke up.

But the odds are that most of them would still discover something better, because that shallow robot pop music those people are into is only one tiny genre among an endless sea of types of music.

Yes, they would move on to like other music after a period of grief, I am sure. But why force that on people just because your highly subjective personal musical preferences collide with theirs? Some of them might never find a new band/artist they would enjoy as much, and hence you have bereaved them of something they will never get back. Just look at all those pathetic GN'R fans who still whine about the loss when the UYI lineup broke up.

But the odds are that most of them would still discover something better, because that shallow robot pop music those people are into is only one tiny genre among an endless sea of types of music.

Not 'better' in the way that they would like it more than Bieber and hence get more enjoyment out of it. Perhaps 'better' from an elitist perspective where music is actually valued objectively according to some vague criteria. Besides, when they get a couple years older the belieber hysteria will wear off, and hopefully they will find and enjoy other types and genres of music, too. They don't need you to do it for them ;).

The Chinese tour kinda faded out. It became the: Let's play some Chinese songs, lot's of AFD's songs (because those are the best), and mix in cover tunes Tour.

Even the font style changed to look more like UYI era GN'R. Thinngs changed the moment Bucket and Robin quit and BF and Dj joined. Axl appeared to loose interest in the Chinese theme, and copy how Dj Ash was dressing, which had nothing to do with China.

I guess there might be something to this. It seems like the direction of the band was very much dependent on the players, and now with these vital CD guys gone, Axl's vision has taken a bullet. I hope he has figured out the new direction of the band and isn't lost in apathy and lack of motivation. I also hope he is comfortable releasing the rest of the music that was created with the ex-members even if they aren't around to flesh out the vision.

Personally, I don't mind going a bit back to the roots of GN'R, which I believe Dj on the writing team will help to do, as long as Axl brings the magic and elevates the songs beyond simplistic, generic rock. I am confident that Axl can do that. I was just never completely sold on the new direction of the early 2000s, but then again, I was never given much to work with.

He has 30 known songs in the vault, maybe some with no vocals to them. There's prob. way more. They're prob. going to be reworked by the band so they can do it live. He even said, "what was I thinking" when he stretched his vocals to the max. The bar is lowered for future releases thanks to how long CD came out and how it under preformed on the charts. Which means it could completely kick ass if he trusts the band to take direction with the music, and goes back to focusing more on lyrics and a few different approaches towards how to do those songs. It took 6 months to get the basics for AFD, and if there's a mistake here and there, that's rock n' roll.

He has 30 known songs in the vault, maybe some with no vocals to them. There's prob. way more. They're prob. going to be reworked by the band so they can do it live. He even said, "what was I thinking" when he stretched his vocals to the max. The bar is lowered for future releases thanks to how long CD came out and how it under preformed on the charts. Which means it could completely kick ass if he trusts the band to take direction with the music, and goes back to focusing more on lyrics and a few different approaches towards how to do those songs. It took 6 months to get the basics for AFD, and if there's a mistake here and there, that's rock n' roll.

Then why is Dj writing new songs ?

I can think of one reason, he would rather play music he came up with, rather than having to *cover* 30 new songs ;)

If it is ture, and there are 30 songs from Chinese era, then I think most of us would rather hear Bucket and Robin perform those songs on an album. I think it is safe to say we won't. If we did, I bet Dj and BF will have their layers added too. That would suck balls.

It's all very well Axl controlling the set up, but how would he feel to be dictated too. Can you image Brain saying 'hey Axl, nice lyrics, the vocals are ok, but I would like your sound rerecorded by someone else, as they have a better feel' :D

Edited by vaida

Not 'better' in the way that they would like it more than Bieber and hence get more enjoyment out of it. Perhaps 'better' from an elitist perspective where music is actually valued objectively according to some vague criteria. Besides, when they get a couple years older the belieber hysteria will wear off, and hopefully they will find and enjoy other types and genres of music, too. They don't need you to do it for them ;).

No, precisely as by the first definition. Chances are that people who only listen to a very narrow window of music have yet to discover their actual favorite artists. But yeah it's a fact the Bieber thing is of course just a phase.

I don't think art can be judged objectively really, but I'm willing to promote and mention the stuff that had a great impact on myself.

No, precisely as by the first definition. Chances are that people who only listen to a very narrow window of music have yet to discover their actual favorite artists. But yeah it's a fact the Bieber thing is of course just a phase.

I don't think art can be judged objectively really, but I'm willing to promote and mention the stuff that had a great impact on myself.

I don't know if Beliebers have a more narrow music taste than their peers.

Then why is Dj writing new songs ?

I can think of one reason, he would rather play music he came up with, rather than having to *cover* 30 new songs ;)

If it is ture, and there are 30 songs from Chinese era, then I think most of us would rather hear Bucket and Robin perform those songs on an album. I think it is safe to say we won't. If we did, I bet Dj and BF will have their layers added too. That would suck balls.

It's all very well Axl controlling the set up, but how would he feel to be dictated too. Can you image Brain saying 'hey Axl, nice lyrics, the vocals are ok, but I would like your sound rerecorded by someone else, as they have a better feel' :D

I think the weight's off Axl's shoulders, Axl has a whole bunch of Bucket's solos, and he'll give Bucket credit if he uses them. Ron would prob. tweak things a bit, but if they're something Axl feels is worth building a song around, or completing something that was left unfinished, it'll wind up being released.

Axl has a batch of songs he can dole out over 20 years, he built himself a vault, but if he traditionally works on lyrics at the last minute, if he has Izzy in there as well as Del and Paul, I don't see why it couldn't be finished. He needs to not second guess his ability as a songwriter and ask some over the hill producer what they think of the song. It's like McCartney going to George Martin asking for his approval.

But Bob Dylan went through this - he asked Mellencamp and Bono what he thought of such and such song in the late 80s. That's pretty depressing - Bob fucking Dylan asking a Dylan hack what he thought. I'm not sure if Axl and Bob Dylan got together and asked Bob what he thought. I thought I read that somewhere.

I think it's low confidence in his ability to write, and Ezrin fucked his confidence up. At least Iovine publicly supported Axl's new music.

Who cares whether US citizens are excited about GN'R or not?

Selfish.

How is that selfish?

Because you're not a US fan, US fans don't matter. Wasn't it you who said something to someone about how wishing Justin Bieber wouldnt make music anymore was selfish? Surely even you can see the connection. :rolleyes:

It would be great if they were the band's last, if Axl is not going to put out new music.

Why would it be great if these were the bands' last gigs? Don't you want fans to enjoy GN'R live gigs in the future, too?

It's kind of sad when a band approaches the Deep Purple status where they tour with the sole purpose of cashing on old goldies and maybe release an album once in 5-10 years. Like, there's no artistic ambition anymore, it's just a job. Ask most casual fans and they'll probably think those old songs were best performed 20 years ago anyway. I wish artists would rather evolve constantly, creating new stuff and developing new directions over their career. Should be about creating new art and not "fan service". Just what I think. :shrugs:

It's rather selfish of you to want the band to stop touring and entertaining thousands of fans just because you don't approve of the fact that the band has become old.

It would be great if they were the band's last, if Axl is not going to put out new music.

Why would it be great if these were the bands' last gigs? Don't you want fans to enjoy GN'R live gigs in the future, too?

No.

But, but, surely without GN'R being active this forum wouldn't exist and hence you wouldn't have any "friends" in the whole world?

I can keep in touch by Skype.

Selfish.

How is that selfish?

Because you're not a US fan, US fans don't matter. Wasn't it you who said something to someone about how wishing Justin Bieber wouldnt make music anymore was selfish? Surely even you can see the connection. :rolleyes:

Yes, because that would bereave the Bieber fans of something they love. I don't see how that is analogous to not caring about what kind of music the US people are into. It's not like I am selfishly trying to take something away from them just because I personally is not a fan of what they are into.

Edited by SoulMonster

the last? the last shows in vegas for at least another couple of months, maybe. gnr's unstoppable. now that they're booking 4 thousand seat venues, they've opened up a whole new world of touring possibilities.

If the India rumours come true I guess they will draw huge crowds over there...Who cares whether US citizens are excited about GN'R or not?

Is it also selfish if I would not mind if Justin Bieber quit the whole music business? I mean, Bieber is entertaining hundreds of thousands of fans!

Yes, it is selfish of you to want an artist to quit just because you are not a fan when you know it would bereave millions of fans further entertainment from that artist.

Meh, so what. Everyone is selfish about a lot of things. That doesn't mean it's going to happen.

NO! U all wrong

This is the Beginning of the Chinese Democrazy World Tour 2012/2013 with new songs from the brand new album "Chinese Democrazy" and classic Songs like "Sweet Child O' Mine" or "November Rain".

The Setlist beginns with the Song "Chinese Democrazy"

CAN'T WAIT...

Edited by t-p-d-a

Selfish.

How is that selfish?

Yes, because that would bereave the Bieber fans of something they love. I don't see how that is analogous to not caring about what kind of music the US people are into. It's not like I am selfishly trying to take something away from them just because I personally is not a fan of what they are into.

Right, you're merely discounting an entire group of people' opinions.

Technically, the "Chinese tour" ended when they started calling it other things.

In 2011 it was the "Up Close and Personal Tour" and now it's the "Appetite for Democracy" "tour".

Actually, it was the "North American Tour" in 2011.

2012 started with the "Up Close and Personal Tour" followed by the "Europe & Israel" tour.

Technically, the "Chinese tour" ended when they started calling it other things.

In 2011 it was the "Up Close and Personal Tour" and now it's the "Appetite for Democracy" "tour".

Actually, it was the "North American Tour" in 2011.

2012 started with the "Up Close and Personal Tour" followed by the "Europe & Israel" tour.

The Use Your Illusion tour had many different names for each leg, it's just the name of that leg of the tour which still falls under the Chinese tour

These shows are most likely the last for this year.

Hopefully, Axl and GNR will rest up and maybe by early next year, start on a new album. It would be cool to hear something positive about new music and recording an album next year and not another 15 years from now.

I think Axl can do awesome things with this new band of musicians he has now. I only hope that Axl seriously considers releasing new music sooner rather than later. It's important to establish this GNR as a full functioning band and not just a touring band for Axl to play GNR songs. It's time to show the world that Axl and GNR can still write amazing music and record a new album and then do another full world tour.