Axl playing guitar

pe_teko

By the way, Izzy is on drugs (Tel aviv 1993, izzy came back for a few shows). It has been commented in this forum whether if Izzy stopped taking drugs before leaving GNR in 1991 why would have Axl said this in Boston 2002:

The first video is the answer for that.

I had never seen Axl playing guitar except for this video of Madagascar RIR

Youtube is great. Have fun!

More of Axl talking shit about Izzy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki3Foq1nIDI

He fucked up and relapsed, prob. got the drugs from someone, but Axl rode with it and dealt with it. I think they were all going through a lot of personal crap, and the road turned into a refuge at the time. I think the band in '93 had the music together, even if their personal lives were unraveling. I think Slash was in a good place at the time (he was getting a lot of outside work as well), but Axl and Duff sure as hell weren't. Izzy came back to a band that was in better shape than when he left, but there were a lot of demons still lingering around.

It's a miracle he didn't OD.

I don't think Axl said anything mean, any more than what Izzy's said about Axl in interviews, but they can talk to each other about it. I think Slash is the type to say things to the press, then backpedal when Axl calls him on it, and Izzy's the type to say "yeah, but am I wrong?". Duff's the same way, he was pretty respectful of Axl in the book and it's just during VR he did some trash talk, but the lawsuit was looming, too. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott and Axl have seen each other since then and laughed about it.

He played acoustic on Dead Horse rhythm on Shotgun Blues from UYIs also rhythm on TWAT and Madagascar from CD

It's worth pointing out he only played on Dead Horse live. In the studio the acoustic guitars were done by Slash according to the booklet.

I think I read somewhere that Izzy didn't hang out a lot with the guys when he filled in for Gilby to avoid getting "tempted" by his old lifestyle. Wasn't it like that?

I hope so.

I read somewhere that Izzy went sight seeing in between shows to keep himself away from the band.

He played acoustic on Dead Horse rhythm on Shotgun Blues from UYIs also rhythm on TWAT and Madagascar from CD

It's worth pointing out he only played on Dead Horse live. In the studio the acoustic guitars were done by Slash according to the booklet.

According to my booklet Axl did acoustics in studio himself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_Your_Illusion_I wikipedia says the same

Should rename this thread axl vs. Izzy thread. Not much about axl playing guitar.

It's true. In my opinion this thread is more about Izzy than Axl, but since I had never seen Axl playing guitar (except for 2002 madagascar) and probably the whole post would be sent to the Izzy forum I thought that a new video (not exactly new, but unreleased...at least for me) about Axl playing guitar would be more interesting for the name of the thread from that point of view.

After all those years, Axl would know if Izzy was high by then. He had no reason to lie about Izzy's condition, but Axl must've facepalmed the first time he saw Izzy relapsing. Doubt he had him unplug every gig, but he was prob. assured by Izzy things would be okay, and he was just back to his old ways. Izzy was hiding in shame, pretending things were cool, but by then? He just wanted to get through the tour and the band was pretty much on autopilot. It's hard to say whether or not they gave a shit, I'm assuming they did.

I know that when they asked Izzy to fill in he first demanded that they wired him a bunch of money first and then asked for a tape of the songs to learn.

Edit:

Nevertheless, Izzy did return briefly to the Gunners, in 1993, after Gilby Clarke, his short-lived replacement, busted his hand in a dirt bike accident. For the fans, it was a welcome return for one of the original members. For Izzy, "It was weird. We toured Greece, Istanbul, London - I liked that side of it, seeing some places I'd never seen."

But that was the only thing he did like about it. After he'd left the band, he had "a big shitload of money sitting somewhere [for me] and they weren't paying me [it]. I don't know the deal was, some kind of legal bullshit." Funds, he claims, which were only released after he agreed to come back temporarily. "Money was a big sore point. I did the dates just for salary. I mean, I helped start this band..." Up comes the guitar again. A flurry of angry notes ensue.

These were his final shows with Guns N' Roses. He left without saying goodbye. "I didn't actually say 'see you' cos they were all fucked up. They didn't even recognize me. It was really bizarre. It was like playing with zombies. Ah man, it was just horrible. Nobody was laughing anymore..."

----- Izzy Stradlin, 2001.

Edited by pi2loc

I know that when they asked Izzy to fill in he first demanded that they wired him a bunch of money first and then asked for a tape of the songs to learn.

Edit:

Nevertheless, Izzy did return briefly to the Gunners, in 1993, after Gilby Clarke, his short-lived replacement, busted his hand in a dirt bike accident. For the fans, it was a welcome return for one of the original members. For Izzy, "It was weird. We toured Greece, Istanbul, London - I liked that side of it, seeing some places I'd never seen."

But that was the only thing he did like about it. After he'd left the band, he had "a big shitload of money sitting somewhere [for me] and they weren't paying me [it]. I don't know the deal was, some kind of legal bullshit." Funds, he claims, which were only released after he agreed to come back temporarily. "Money was a big sore point. I did the dates just for salary. I mean, I helped start this band..." Up comes the guitar again. A flurry of angry notes ensue.

These were his final shows with Guns N' Roses. He left without saying goodbye. "I didn't actually say 'see you' cos they were all fucked up. They didn't even recognize me. It was really bizarre. It was like playing with zombies. Ah man, it was just horrible. Nobody was laughing anymore..."

----- Izzy Stradlin, 2001.

that's the 2001 interview in which izzy said : "axl's band is obviously not guns n'roses, everybody knows that."

that's probably why axl is throwing shit on izzy at the boston 2002 concert

haha it's funny how they keep bitching about things that happened 10 years before

I can imagine boston audience feeling while axl talking shit. They must have thought: "is he really talking about something that happend 9 years ago?"

You can know by this that Axl gets affected by what this people say, like velvet revolver interviews in 2004.

I never thought Axl was the kind of guy that reads every single interview from his old bandmates. But it seems he is.

Izzy didn't even know how axl looked like back in 2006 when he met him. He was surprised to find his bandmate was looking young as he said in one of his few interviews.

Izzy doesn't give a shit