DJ Ashba wins "Guitar Hero Of The Year" award

volcano62

Not a surprise for me, i like Ashba, and i think that he is a excellent guitar player, Axl Rose and Nikki Sixx think it too.

As a guitar player I can 100% tell you he is a very, very average player with bad timing, intonation and phrasing... that's just about everything when it comes to guitar playing... Axl and Nixxi are wrong on this one, Ashba is not an excellent player, probably a reasonable standard for a hobbist or a bar band that doesn't play too often... for one of the bigger rock bands in the world... he is out of his league listen to the right speaker for Appetite for democracy, listen to the amount of incorrect chords, out of tune bends... he actually ruined that dvd for me (yeah Axl was off too, but not the whole way through).

I have no problem with how he looks, how he interacts with fans, how he moves on stage... my only gripe is that he is not capable enough to pull of the material. I believe you have to be twice as good (ability wise) as the material in order to play it... I honestly don't think he is anywhere close to that... maybe if he practiced, which I don't think he does... Take advantage of having two amazing players in the band, grab a lesson, anyone that is too proud to take a lesson from a superior musician needs to have their head examined.

First time I've seen this thread, I'm not THAT much of a DJ hater, but even if I wasn't - Why him? - Bumblefoot and Richard have done far more in their careers than he has.... and they're better guitarists. (I realise the whole competition wasn't of GNR guitarists, but I don't understand why he got it and the other GnR guitarists didnt)

Not a surprise for me, i like Ashba, and i think that he is a excellent guitar player, Axl Rose and Nikki Sixx think it too.

You've seen the patience video right? lol

As a guitar player I can 100% tell you he is a very, very average player with bad timing, intonation and phrasing... that's just about everything when it comes to guitar playing... Axl and Nixxi are wrong on this one, Ashba is not an excellent player, probably a reasonable standard for a hobbist or a bar band that doesn't play too often... for one of the bigger rock bands in the world... he is out of his league listen to the right speaker for Appetite for democracy, listen to the amount of incorrect chords, out of tune bends... he actually ruined that dvd for me (yeah Axl was off too, but not the whole way through).

I have no problem with how he looks, how he interacts with fans, how he moves on stage... my only gripe is that he is not capable enough to pull of the material. I believe you have to be twice as good (ability wise) as the material in order to play it... I honestly don't think he is anywhere close to that... maybe if he practiced, which I don't think he does... Take advantage of having two amazing players in the band, grab a lesson, anyone that is too proud to take a lesson from a superior musician needs to have their head examined.

Its my opinion, for me its more important create good hard rock songs than solos virtuosos, for example, i love Mick Mars and i dont like Buckethead or Bumblefoot.

I like songs composed by Ashba and i want hear new songs in GnR, im sure that he can write good hard rock songs and create a intesresting hit single. i think that Axl and Nikki think it. Really, i like only Hard Rock in GnR and Ashba is modern but its Hard Rock, i hate industrial, virtuosos and i hate experimental rock.

I prefer Patience Slash solo, but i prefer Ashba This I Love solo than Finck solo.

I like Appetite for Democracy for Axl, Fortus and Ashba.

People can say Axl picked him but he'd already used up three choices before that and he had a narrow window to find someone available and willing to trade a lot of freedoms for the GNR touring cycle until he decides to open up the cave of recording wonders.

Though it didn't ruin my enjoyment of AFD, I agree about the amount of incorrect chords etc. Ok, if you miss a note of a solo that is understandable, but if you still get chords wrong of songs you've now been playing countless of times, it does make me question his playing.

You've seen the patience video right? lol

Its my opinion, for me its more important create good hard rock songs than solos virtuosos, for example, i love Mick Mars and i dont like Buckethead or Bumblefoot.

I like songs composed by Ashba and i want hear new songs in GnR, im sure that he can write good hard rock songs and create a intesresting hit single. i think that Axl and Nikki think it. Really, i like only Hard Rock in GnR and Ashba is modern but its Hard Rock, i hate industrial, virtuosos and i hate experimental rock.

I prefer Patience Slash solo, but i prefer Ashba This I Love solo than Finck solo.

I like Appetite for Democracy for Axl, Fortus and Ashba.

Mick Mars can play in time, write a great solo or riff... and he's got a debilitating disease. I don't care about virtuoso playing either, if you think i don;t like him because he can't play 32 note runs or double hand tap you're mistaken. I appreciate just about all guitar players if they can play from whatever style... all I need is the ability to play the material well. I've heard his original music, it's fine, it's american radio hard rock... not interesting, maybe with the other guys input it can push it away from bog standard radio rock. Bumblefoot is a more well rounded songwriter, listen to his last 2 albums, listen to the poc album... he writes far more dynamic/interesting music... he can play simple guitar lines or the most complicated lines, write foo fighter type songs or queen inspired songs. Don't disregard Bumblefoot because he actually spent the time to get to a high level at his instrument... I find it so weird when people bash a musician for being too good, what other profession does that happen in?

It's ok if you like him, I like guitar players and bands that other people don't like but take it from me or any other guitar player/musician that listens closely that Dj is not a very talented guitar player... but he might be a fantastic producer (unfortunately he's hired to be a guitar player, not produce the band...)

• Like 1

In only want Hard Rock sound, in CD i only like the ballads :(

Thats why i want a hard rock musicians, i dont like Queen or Foo Fighters so much, i hear bands like Van Halen, Buckcherry, Skid Row, Crashdiet, Motley Crue....

Bumblefoot is better guitarist than Ashba but i like Ashba songs and i dont like Bumble albums, this is my problem haha

And its funny for me see Ashba movements in a concert, and Fortus moves, i love this guys !

Im sure that they will written a future hit single in Guns N Roses :headbang:

Soulmonster well put. I agree with you.

The 3 times I've seen GNR, DJ is the one who gets the crowd going. He is very energetic on stage and is always upbeat and looks so happy to be there.

I like him and he is a very good guitar player.

Was this award given in Las Vegas?